Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:15 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,389,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I'm hoping I can convince Mrs. Tek of my philosophy when we make that retirement move.

Throw it away!! Sell it!! Don't pay to move it!!

Keep the minimum it takes to make you happy.
Lifting those boxes with pillows packed on top, and 200 pounds of books on the bottom isn't as easy as it used to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 08:25 AM

183 posts, read 352,744 times
My Wife and I are just beginnng to downsize. We went through our books and gave away about 2/3 of them. We wondered why we had ever bought many of them. The paperbacks are easy to figure out, but some of the others that cost a lot more were not. Some had not been opened since the day we brought them home.

It is astonishing the amount of stuff you accumulate, most of which has never been used and is collecting dust.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:35 AM

11,180 posts, read 16,075,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
Now, due to a shortage of storage space, I'm taking a long, hard look at my "stuff".
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
I would be the first to admit that my wife has too much stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Many on this board say get rid of all of it and buy second hand at the new location. Can't quite buy this - get rid of your own good stuff and buy someone else's questionable stuff?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I've never had a lot of stuff...
George Carlin's classic stand-up routine on "stuff."

YouTube - George Carlin Talks About "Stuff"

Old 04-14-2010, 08:49 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,243,206 times
I have a lot of books and I keep thinking I will have time to read them when I retire..so that doesn't work?

Old 04-14-2010, 08:57 AM

85 posts, read 239,555 times
Just goes to show that George Carlin was right on the money with his "stuff" monologue.

Fifteen years ago we moved to Texas from Liverpool, NY. Until then we had a lot of antique furnishings which I decided it was time to thin out... loved them but was finally moving past my "country" phase. We also donated what seemed like tons of clothes and other household items to The Salvation Army, etc.

We were definitely leaner when we arrived in Austin where we had much less storage space, but it didn't take long to accumulate more 'stuff'. Nine years later we ended up back in NY (loved Austin, but the downturn in semi-conductors forced us back). We gave away some of the accumulated 'stuff' but we still had to caravan two 26 foot trucks to carry all of it back to the Hudson Valley where we moved into a larger, older home with way too much storage. Even though it is just the two of us at home now, the 'stuff' has continued to act like rabbits and multiplied again.

We are in the thinning out stage once again. This time, however, we are also on the brink of retirement with plans to move South to a new home that's at most two thirds the size of this one. Since we are not expecting to live at the same level we've enjoyed in our working years (a disadvantage of moving frequently), 'reduce', 'simplify', 'practical', and 'functional' are the key words in this new thinning out phase.

To all those in the same boat, good luck!

Old 04-14-2010, 09:00 AM

85 posts, read 239,555 times
MadMan -- Funny thing, I started writing my comments before your excerpt from George Carlin was posted... great minds think alike.

P.S. -- I've enjoyed following your posts. Sounds like Las Vegas was the perfect place for you to land.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:12 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,387,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I have a lot of books and I keep thinking I will have time to read them when I retire..so that doesn't work?
I hope so. Those are my plans as soon as we finish with all the home improvements.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:48 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,137,752 times
My wife decided she was going to read her way through the piles of books and then donate them to the library before I retired. That plan did not work and many of the books have already gone to the library. I think it is a genetic thing. My father also had a great interest in keeping books. He seemed to feel that if you had the book he had the knowledge in the book. Now we just need the internet.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:11 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,387,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
My wife decided she was going to read her way through the piles of books and then donate them to the library before I retired. That plan did not work and many of the books have already gone to the library. I think it is a genetic thing. My father also had a great interest in keeping books. He seemed to feel that if you had the book he had the knowledge in the book. Now we just need the internet.
I feel a strange comfort being surrounded by full bookcases.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:31 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,874,241 times
Have you watched the TV show "The Hoarders"...boy, that is scary stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement