Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 05:53 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,025,668 times

Advertisements

Yes, important papers must be shredded. I burned up 2 shredders going through old tax records, etc... and finally just would rip off any SS, name, address etc... and manually shred in tiny pieces and put the scraps in 3 different bags so there was no way to put it together. So, if your budget doesn't allow for a shredder, maybe you can try that. It's tedious but can be done while watching TV or just sitting on the deck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 06:13 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,787,383 times
Quote:
staywarm2: YES, you do need a shredder. They are cheap--$20-30. Anything that has your social security #, any credit card info, bank or tax info--all need to be shredded. You can't be too careful these days.
Okay!

Quote:
Umbria: Yes, important papers must be shredded. I burned up 2 shredders going through old tax records, etc... and finally just would rip off any SS, name, address etc... and manually shred in tiny pieces and put the scraps in 3 different bags so there was no way to put it together. So, if your budget doesn't allow for a shredder, maybe you can try that. It's tedious but can be done while watching TV or just sitting on the deck.
Wow, that's really intense -- separating into three different bags!!

Okay, I guess next on my list is a shredder -- I guess once I shred everything, then I'll have a spot in one of my shelves for the shredder! Oh, I feel like I will never get it all organized.....

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 08-30-2010, 07:29 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,982,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I am debating about getting an actual art table to do my drawing at, or continuing to use the kitchen table....that's a tough one because of the little room I have, I find I use my kitchen table for a lot of things, and I might find it useful to have a drawing table, but then again, a drawing table would take up more space!
I am proud to announce that (besides a coffee table) I have one table in my house now--it's a dining table, a sewing table, and an art table all in one. I store the portable sewing machine under it. The table-top "art table"-- a broad, sturdy tilted surface with short legs that folds up--also goes under the table when not in use. I actually have a regular easel but I'm having a hard time with the idea of selling it, it is reddish wood, sturdy, very nice looking. But it takes up space and my table-top job works just as well if not better. (You can make one or get one from dickblick)

Old 08-30-2010, 09:19 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,471,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
YES, you do need a shredder. They are cheap--$20-30. Anything that has your social security #, any credit card info, bank or tax info--all need to be shredded. You can't be too careful these days.
It's funny, my shredder is in one of my toss boxes. Maybe, i'll pull that back out. I've lately been going through page by page and just tearing papers apart by hand. Such a tedious task disposing of paper you don't want to get into the wrong hands. Try shredding checks. I rarely ever use a check, but, my present landlord, was so adamant about my checks having my new addy on them, that I caved and bought new checks. I got tired of shredding checks from two addresses ago. So I end up just lugging them with me. There has to be a better way to dispose of them.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,116,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
... There has to be a better way to dispose of them.
camp / leaf / hotdog fire

for the really thick stacks, I roll them up, wire together, soak overnight in diesel fuel (on one end... it wicks up throughout). They make great 'firestarters' for my 'bigger' bonfires (often the size of a small house). (Think global warming) I'm a big contributor to climate change.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:46 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,380,647 times
Yesterday, I sorted through all the boxes in the basement. Pulled out a BUNCH of stuff for my yard sale next spring. I have another room where I'm stacking everything I'm going to sell. It felt good to put lots of stuff in there. I'm going to wash the basement floor and shelves and put what I plan to keep back very neatly, so the basement will look good when time comes to put the house on the market. I felt virtuous (but dirty and sweaty!).

Old 09-01-2010, 02:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,154 times
Talking Recycle Reduce Reuse ... boxes of old archived papers

i love to pass on this tip as it's saved my back, my money, the environment & it's safe for my kitty.
years ago, i started reusing my shredded documents for kitty litter after realizing that's what the shelters used for kitties after they were spayed. i asked the vet about its safety and was reassured.
over the years, 3 different cats have all used this type of litter with zero complaints. we NEVER scoop as we just dump the litter contents twice a week. we're reusing the shredded paper that has our personal info. cool, huh?

Old 09-01-2010, 03:07 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,025,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nospammer View Post
i love to pass on this tip as it's saved my back, my money, the environment & it's safe for my kitty.
years ago, i started reusing my shredded documents for kitty litter after realizing that's what the shelters used for kitties after they were spayed. i asked the vet about its safety and was reassured.
over the years, 3 different cats have all used this type of litter with zero complaints. we NEVER scoop as we just dump the litter contents twice a week. we're reusing the shredded paper that has our personal info. cool, huh?
Great idea! Not only are you saving $$ (cat litter is also getting high), but good luck bad guys putting that back together

Old 09-01-2010, 04:24 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,982,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Okay!

Wow, that's really intense -- separating into three different bags!!

Okay, I guess next on my list is a shredder -- I guess once I shred everything, then I'll have a spot in one of my shelves for the shredder! Oh, I feel like I will never get it all organized.....

Thanks for the feedback!
A word about the Staples variety of shredders, around $30 --

They DO NOT like more than one, possibly two at most, smooth pieces of paper at one time. They can't be put in crooked or they'll go off track and jam the blades. Be sure to remove any staples, they jam the blades.

When you go to empty the paper shreds from the bucket you'll see that a lot of the shredded paper got stuck in the blades, and of course you'll want to pull the shreds out of the blades....but be SURE to unplug the machine whenever your hands are coming in direct contact with the blades, for obvious reasons (there are no safety devices on these cheap models!).

When the machine thinks you're overworking it by putting through too many papers, it will become overheated and a light will come on, it will stop working. Unplug it and let it rest.

Be sure to keep a shredder far out of reach of children!

Old 09-01-2010, 05:09 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,787,383 times
Quote:
nospammer: i love to pass on this tip as it's saved my back, my money, the environment & it's safe for my kitty.
Welcome, nospammer! Wow, what a great idea!! I will have to give that a try, as I do have two kitties!

Quote:
Newenglandgirl: A word about the Staples variety of shredders, around $30

They DO NOT like more than one, possibly two at most, smooth pieces of paper at one time. They can't be put in crooked or they'll go off track and jam the blades. Be sure to remove any staples, they jam the blades.

When you go to empty the paper shreds from the bucket you'll see that a lot of the shredded paper got stuck in the blades, and of course you'll want to pull the shreds out of the blades....but be SURE to unplug the machine whenever your hands are coming in direct contact with the blades, for obvious reasons (there are no safety devices on these cheap models!).

When the machine thinks you're overworking it by putting through too many papers, it will become overheated and a light will come on, it will stop working. Unplug it and let it rest.

Be sure to keep a shredder far out of reach of children!
Thanks – actually, I did borrow a friend's shredder for a few boxes, but I still have a load of boxes to go! So, got initiated into how they work….and you're right, I did spend time pulling out pieces that got c o c k-eyed, and noticed it could overheat. Fortunately, no children around to cut off their little fingers – yuck!!

I just thought of another use -- maybe I could make buddy burners -- like in Girl Scouts -- and wrap around that extra paper, fill it with a wick and wax and light it up! Buddy Burner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Could make some cool candles depending on the size of cans that I put them into! Help me here, StealthRabbit, as you are our official camp/out-of-the-box/raised on a farm/use everything you've got, person! Maybe there's a cottage industry in here someplace! Lol! I mean, who wouldn't want their very own buddy burner???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement