Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 11:01 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,046,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
. I don't plan on getting rid of my quality furniture that I use. I'm just going to get rid of the cheap stuff that isn't worth moving when the time comes to move. That & pare down the contents to only that which I use or are family heirlooms. I'm not getting rid of my tools either unless they are junk or broken. I stopped buying cheap tools years ago & discovered the merits of buy good & buy once.
I plan to keep my quality furniture also and I totally agree with buying quality anything. The entertainment center was cheap and not worth moving but most of my other stuff I bought many moons ago with the intent to never have to buy furniture again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 04:22 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,018,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
I took the entertainment center out of my office some time ago & pitched it - it was too big for the space anyway. I put 2 black wire dog crates with glass panels that I had from something else on top for electronics. Dual purpose while saving space & 1 less piece of furniture. Works like a charm
Great minds think alike
Are your cages side by side or one on top of the other? I;d love to see a photo of this if you could post one. Where did you get the glass panels? Did they have to be cut to size? Do your dogs use the crates?

Old 06-23-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Great minds think alike
Are your cages side by side or one on top of the other? I;d love to see a photo of this if you could post one. Where did you get the glass panels? Did they have to be cut to size? Do your dogs use the crates?
The cages are side by side. The glass panels were actually from a wall shelf unit I had in one of my houses. I have never put it up in this house because it made such big holes in the wall but the glass is 32" X 12" x 1/4" & strong enough to support the electronics. I use 2 per cage so it's 32"W x 24"D x 1/4" thick per cage. A board of some sort, painted/stained would work just as well.

I'm trying to figure out some sort of "skirt" like deal to put over the cages - something that can be rolled up/down as needed. I read where some people don't want to see any signs of pets when they are house hunting. So my plan will be to grab the bow wows & take them with me and then roll down the fabric sides & front to hide the cages.

My dogs love their dens - I also leave the doors open, unless I'm getting company. I never used crates until I started fostering dogs and they gave me 2 crates to use. My dogs would watch other crate trained dogs go to bed in these crates and it got to be a game of who could get in the crate first so I bought mine their own - now I have 4 crates. One is a coffee table in my family room - I put a tablecloth over it and have 2 of these glass panels on top..

Old 06-23-2010, 07:55 PM

Worldchanging: Bright Green: Tiny Homes, Foldable Furniture, Walkable Futures and Our Brains on Time

Watch the video, this is my kind of furniture. Must be my Italian heritage, wanting innovative design. Will post this on the Women Retiring Alone thread too as it pertains...

Old 06-24-2010, 07:07 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,290,371 times
MN2CO, maybe a small tablecloth would work to hide the cages when showing the house.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:50 AM

37,822 posts, read 41,144,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Does "Got Junk" charge by the truckload or item or weight?
You can look at their website for pricing. When I moved it was by how much they fill up their truck, not item or weight. I chose to do mine in 3 steps because I was getting rid of all of my furniture except for a bookcase but needed to have something to sleep on until my move day. I needed to keep the couch, one end table and one lamp until the day I moved. It was really nice having a totally empty bedroom, though, for my packing activities and a totally empty dining room area to place more stuff I was going to discard on their second visit.

My issue was mostly how I, a single person, could carry so much stuff and so much heavy stuff down a flight of stairs, repeatedly, to lift it into the trunk of my car to throw it out in or by the dumpster. I'm 5'1" so it would mean lifting that weight over my head. That stuff was delivered to me originally so I never carried it up the stairs or accumulated over time. My issue wasn't parting with things I loved it was physically impossible for me to get rid of it. And they did it so quickly, too. Do you know how much old clothes in a trashbag weigh or dishes weigh or pots and pans weigh or magazine collectibles weigh or those old CRT monitors weigh or an old glass blender weighs or framed art weighs? Could you imagine going up and down a flight of 17 stairs maybe 10 times a day or more for 6 weeks? Three guys came in and lifted 4 trash bags apiece (clothes, shoes, papers, magazines) at a time or carried a CRT monitor under one arm and a trash bag of pots and pans or toaster oven in the other.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:59 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,283,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Could you imagine going up and down a flight of 17 stairs maybe 10 times a day or more for 6 weeks? Three guys came in and lifted 4 trash bags apiece (clothes, shoes, papers, magazines) at a time or carried a CRT monitor under one arm and a trash bag of pots and pans or toaster oven in the other.
Sounds like a exercise program!

Old 06-24-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
I read where some people don't want to see any signs of pets when they are house hunting. So my plan will be to grab the bow wows & take them with me and then roll down the fabric sides & front to hide the cages..
A few years ago I boughyt cotton quilted material to make a fitted covering for my toaster oven and blender. How about a fitted covering of the same material that you can just quickly cover the cages with? Should be easy to make. You could even leave one side open and keep the covers on, just turn the open side toward the wall before house showings.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:38 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,290,371 times
I just found this website that sells a cover like newenglandgirl is talking about. I really like this:

Dog Crate Covers - Double Door - Crate Covers and More (http://www.cratecoversandmore.com/dog-crate-covers-double-door/cat_36.html - broken link)

http://www.cratecoversandmore.com/images/uploads/new-leaves-flowers.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-25-2010, 07:46 AM

46Barb - Great design and something I could whip up - thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement