Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 08:43 AM

16,042 posts, read 22,019,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
NEG -

Overstock.com has several platform beds for $250 and less. With free shipping. I'm sure your son could put it together for you

Yes - I am a closet on-line window shopper!
You should write a book on "lightweighting," with all your great knowledge of resources! Thaks for all the info. I will let go of that bedframe, I will let go of that bedframe, I will.... and the dining room table? What do I do about that??it was a splurge years ago, Italian made, contemporary, nice looking and....hevv-y.

Back after 20 min....I just looked on overstock.com and found all kinds of lightweight furniture including a "baker's rack with three rattan drawers" to hold my TV. I can now get rid of the heavy piece that holds it. I realize I have to start raising some cash by selling the old stuff! But the thought of lightweight furnishings is a delight, thanks for the resource~~

Last edited by RiverBird; 06-21-2010 at 09:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 08:35 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,214,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I had been carrying around 12 boxes from place to place, never opened them, just possessions I couldn't let go of easily. So after my last move (hopefully the last for awhile), just have 7 or 8! Presently going through them one by one to purge even more. Trying to get into a minimalist state of mind for retirement! Will probably give most things away or to GoodWill, but some can go on craigslist too. Have too many books and CDs/DVDs/Videos. Maybe some of the used bookstores will take them. A nicer consignment shop just down the road can takes clothing in good condition. Will keep most of the furniture, except a table and chair or two. The key is to not buy any more stuff!!
12 boxes: The Dirty Dozen!!! You've pared down to 7 or 8...now that's PROGRESS!!! You're an inspiration...

Old 06-21-2010, 08:35 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,478,739 times
Quote:
I just looked on overstock.com and found all kinds of lightweight furniture
You're welcome - and enjoy!

Old 06-21-2010, 08:37 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,214,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetakai View Post
NewEnglandGirl...invest in a good scanner. Sorry if someone else has suggested this. Then you can make slide shows of your art and look at them whenever you want. Also your writing. You can get a scanner with an OCR (optical character reader) or try something like dragon naturally speaking which will let you read your writing in to the computer (with some margin for error, but a lot of people are using it now). I started taking pictures of things I never used any more. If I haven't used it in more than a year, I am trying to get rid of it, and I am still several years away from retirement. but I found that right now I am living in less than half my house, the rest seems to be storage.
Excellent suggestions

Old 06-22-2010, 06:19 AM

With help of a friend, I ventured into the attic yesterday (way too hot up there, should have done this in spring). She carried down 3 of the 20 tubs holding the "what if i ever need this stuff again" stuff. She commanded me to go through it and consolidate to one tub. I sweated through it and did it. Now I have 2 empty tubs. I guess that's one way to do it, make yourself go through things by 3's and get it down to 1's. If I want to keep something that's qustionable or bulky, I have to get rid of two other things. Sounds like how I used to get my kids to clean their rooms.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:55 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,478,739 times
Any way you can use the empty tubs as lightweight furniture?

::: running away! :::

Old 06-23-2010, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Any way you can use the empty tubs as lightweight furniture?

::: running away! :::
There you go! A board across 2 overturned tubs for a coffee table, now that's style

I have two dogs and one of them has a black wire cage (I keep the door open, as she likes to go in and out). I did think about getting another one and making end tables out of them, with a glass or wooden top on each....

Old 06-23-2010, 09:46 AM

3,086 posts, read 5,370,859 times
I think that "scaling down" of little used items, unless of course they have significant emotional value, is probably a good thing, whether retireing or not. My imminent retirement has me currently focused on making a few purchases that allow me to live less expensively when the day comes. . . Here in Phx, Arizona, indoor cooking during the summer is counterproductive, as it causes the A.C. to work harder, so a good quality outdoor gas grill is on my list. . . .I've recently purchased a "solar clothes dryer", which I will love using when time is less of an issue, even the need to iron clothes that have dried on the line will be a welcome task, once I have more time. I will be saving seeds of vegetables that I will be able to grow, although I will probably invest in heirloom variety seeds, as well. . . .and my chickens, although not initially cost effective, are getting to the point where their eggs can provide all of the protien that I will need, if financial conditions become desperate. I am really looking forward to the challenge of liveing well on very little in retirement.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:58 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,047,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I have two dogs and one of them has a black wire cage (I keep the door open, as she likes to go in and out). I did think about getting another one and making end tables out of them, with a glass or wooden top on each....
I took the entertainment center out of my office some time ago & pitched it - it was too big for the space anyway. I put 2 black wire dog crates with glass panels that I had from something else on top for electronics. Dual purpose while saving space & 1 less piece of furniture. Works like a charm

Old 06-23-2010, 10:35 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,284,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
There you go! A board across 2 overturned tubs for a coffee table, now that's style

They make nice looking furniture dog crates now but they seem expensive to me.

Being a DYI kind of gal, I will probably make a furniture shell for my old wire crate when I get a dog that will also serve as an end table. I don't plan on getting rid of my quality furniture that I use. I'm just going to get rid of the cheap stuff that isn't worth moving when the time comes to move. That & pare down the contents to only that which I use or are family heirlooms. I'm not getting rid of my tools either unless they are junk or broken. I stopped buying cheap tools years ago & discovered the merits of buy good & buy once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement