Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 12:35 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,272,108 times

Advertisements

Paint is annoying. It doesn't keep very well and is toxic when wet. They sell some stuff to harden old paint so it can go into regular trash. I've also used clay kitty litter. There were 10 cans of paint in my basement when I bought the place. Yuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 03:36 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,390,294 times
Default Shredded Newspaper for Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Paint is annoying. It doesn't keep very well and is toxic when wet. They sell some stuff to harden old paint so it can go into regular trash. I've also used clay kitty litter. There were 10 cans of paint in my basement when I bought the place. Yuck.
I've also read you can shred newspaper and use it to soak up the paint instead of kitty litter--cheaper and usually on hand.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:18 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,033,108 times
Before I found out about this local recycling place in our county, I would take the lid off the paint, set it outside in the sun - the sun & air worked like a charm. But now I'm taking all that kind of stuff to them - it's free and it's GONE. Old car batteries, anti freeze~~~~~~~~~~~~etc...

Old 06-18-2010, 05:00 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,995,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
I also decided (thanks NEG) to get rid of the first piece of furniture I ever bought - it's a dresser - good stuff but so incredibly heavy. It's solid, thick wood and I remember the look on their faces when I moved last time - I warned these two guys that it was heavy and they might need a 3rd guy - I got the "Ya, right, lady" look - well, they had to get a third guy I'm keeping the matching armoire - I use it for office stuff.

Carry on
For a dresser that fits into a closet, I bought a lightweight black bakers rack with three shelves, all made of black racking. I bought at the dollar store 8 cloth collapsible boxes 12" x 12" each that hold everything quite nicely. They look great stacked on the baker;s rack. I can move the entire thing with one hand. No more dresser that weighs a ton with drawers that you have to dig thru to find anything. I'm now trying to part with a heavy low maple bookcase. I don't need it for books now that I'm down to 47, but it was my mother's. It weighs a ton. I don't want to refinish it either. It's these kinds of items I get stuck on. I alsowent shopping for lightweight wooden TV tables, looked everywhere and can't find them, any idea where? (the set of 4 that gets stored on a rack, wooden if possible). These will replace any heavy end tables that are going out the door.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:17 PM

Default Need advice~~

OK, so I have my grandmother's peddle sewing machine - the kind you have to work a peddle with your foot to make it sew. I also have a Bernina REAL sewing machine.

The antique sewing machine is HEAVY - due to the machine itself mostly and it's all about weight when you move. I want to pull the sewing machine out and throw it out. I've put all the sentimental stuff to rest - use to watch her for hours using that thing - I've had it for 20 years and haven't ever used it - why would I?

So, if I just throw it out, I don't want anyone saying - "You fool, that was an antique and you could have made some money on it had you bothered to sell it". I want the cabinet though.

So, what's the verdict?

Old 06-18-2010, 05:47 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,454,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I alsowent shopping for lightweight wooden TV tables, looked everywhere and can't find them, any idea where? (the set of 4 that gets stored on a rack, wooden if possible). These will replace any heavy end tables that are going out the door.
TV Trays Wood - Amazon

Target also has them.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:49 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,390,294 times
Default Free Recycling

Quote:
Before I found out about this local recycling place in our county, I would take the lid off the paint, set it outside in the sun - the sun & air worked like a charm. But now I'm taking all that kind of stuff to them - it's free and it's GONE. Old car batteries, anti freeze~~~~~~~~~~~~etc...
You're lucky. We have to pay to ditch that type of stuff.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:01 PM

I'm getting all that stuff out ASAP - I would not be surprised if they started charging, but for now, it really is great.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:04 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,272,108 times
Quote:
OK, so I have my grandmother's peddle sewing machine - the kind you have to work a peddle with your foot to make it sew. I also have a Bernina REAL sewing machine.

The antique sewing machine is HEAVY - due to the machine itself mostly and it's all about weight when you move. I want to pull the sewing machine out and throw it out. I've put all the sentimental stuff to rest - use to watch her for hours using that thing - I've had it for 20 years and haven't ever used it - why would I?

So, if I just throw it out, I don't want anyone saying - "You fool, that was an antique and you could have made some money on it had you bothered to sell it". I want the cabinet though.

So, what's the verdict?
Why not try to sell it? Check ebay and craigslist to see what others are going for. Talk to antique dealers.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:07 AM

Thanks, Tesaje - I might try that. More than the $$, it feels wrong to just throw it away so if someone would like it, they can have it. I'll try out my own garage sale first - so many creeps on Craig's List.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement