Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2010, 10:33 AM

9,467 posts, read 9,403,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
46Barb - Great design and something I could whip up - thanks!
Just hope no one thinks they are benches or seats and decides to sit on one.

I personally don't want to see any evidence of any pets when I house hunt. Recently, we viewed a home with a screened in porch. The owner had a cat, not a large cat, but very angry. It blocked the door to the screened porch, and hence to the back yard, with angry yelps.

The owner came home and removed the cat, but the damage was done. I was out of there (and I like cats).

I don't like dogs, however. I know I am one of about 4 people on this earth who doesn't like dogs. But I don't like to see a caged dog (or smell one) in the bedroom of a home. At least put them in the garage, if it's not too hot. Better yet, get a friend to watch it. However, in one way I'm glad the dog is there--I won't buy a home that has housed one if I can help it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 10:45 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,280,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Just hope no one thinks they are benches or seats and decides to sit on one.

I personally don't want to see any evidence of any pets when I house hunt. Recently, we viewed a home with a screened in porch. The owner had a cat, not a large cat, but very angry. It blocked the door to the screened porch, and hence to the back yard, with angry yelps.

The owner came home and removed the cat, but the damage was done. I was out of there (and I like cats).

I don't like dogs, however. I know I am one of about 4 people on this earth who doesn't like dogs. But I don't like to see a caged dog (or smell one) in the bedroom of a home. At least put them in the garage, if it's not too hot. Better yet, get a friend to watch it. However, in one way I'm glad the dog is there--I won't buy a home that has housed one if I can help it.
Conversely, when I go house hunting, a house that is well set up for dogs gets a plus in my book. If you dislike them that much, then there isn't much a pet owner could do short of permanently vacating the house. To each his or own.

You can only do so much to please potential buyers. Keeping the house very clean & tidy is paramount. Most people will take the pets with them after selling.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:01 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,013,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
I just found this website that sells a cover like newenglandgirl is talking about. I really like this:

Dog Crate Covers - Double Door - Crate Covers and More (http://www.cratecoversandmore.com/dog-crate-covers-double-door/cat_36.html - broken link)
Adorable!! Thank you!

Old 06-25-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post

This sounds like a phobia....actually, many dogs are much, much cleaner than humans, and groom themselves or are groomed so they smell better than many people. I would lighten up on this in case you find a home you truly like.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:59 PM

9,467 posts, read 9,403,705 times
Default Pet Fur

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
This sounds like a phobia....actually, many dogs are much, much cleaner than humans, and groom themselves or are groomed so they smell better than many people. I would lighten up on this in case you find a home you truly like.
Actually, I did end up buying a home that had had a couple dogs and cats (which were gone by the time I bought). But there was pet fur in all the crevices of 3 sets of stairs that I had to assiduously vacuum out. They also let the dogs scratch the h*** out of the doors in the laundry room and basement (locked them in, I suppose).

Don't have a phobia about dogs--some people don't like cats or snakes--I don't care for dogs. I don't like them jumping on me or licking my face(after they lick their butt)-yuk! I also don't appreciate people who let them poop in my flower beds and leave it for me to clean up.

This is definitely off topic, sorry!

Old 06-26-2010, 06:26 AM

I have two friends coming over this weekend to lift and move things out of the basement. The house and attic are clean as a whistle, but the basement is....a disaster. There's just too many "useful" things down there. I have to get a good strong coffee before I face it arrrrggggh

Old 06-26-2010, 08:11 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,471,550 times
Boy, NEG ... you are really on a roll!

Old 06-26-2010, 08:42 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,583,439 times
Ha! LOL! We didn't scale down to retire, but to RV! It took us a year to wade through our possessions and whittle them down. Sold probably a third, donated another third, and stored the remainder that would not fit into the RV (38') or the tow-vehicle (Jeep Wrangler). Whew -- it was intense. I never realized how stressful it was to make all those choices, and to let go.

Now, we claim as we move back into our home that we will NOT accumulate more. Except for the furniture (sofa, dinette set, bed) we do not plan to replace anything. Probably we could repeat the process with stuff we have in storage, because we haven't used it in nearly two years, and that makes us wonder if we really need them.

I am not sure age or change of life has anything to do with the decision to divest. Years ago, I started divesting, just because I realized our possessions possess us. We have to maintain them, clean them, repair them, store them. Who is serving whom, here, anyway. Besides, most importantly, I realized that stuff and circumstances do NOT make me happy. Happiness is my choice, irregardless of those things.

So, divest away. Start with the easy things, like the things you've saved just in case, or because you felt obligated. The sense of freedom you feel will open you to more releases. Make it fun.

Enjoy all aspects of your life, especially the letting go. 8)

Old 06-26-2010, 11:39 PM

10,117 posts, read 19,460,343 times
Retirement is still about a decade away for us, but we're thinking along those terms.

We're in the process of moving for a new job, and I've spent the last several months pruning stuff. I've been keeping a lot of stuff for sentimental reasons, but its reached the critical mass state. I could pack it up and move it again, but I'm not going to.

I've found it is an emotional thing to get rid of stuff but I've come to this conclusion---everytime I look at it I feel sad, it brings back memories of times gone by. Good times, but those people are all gone. If I get rid of it, it can't hurt again. It will hurt one last time, then its gone for good.

Some things are too significant to part with, yet too awkward to ship and store, so I've been taking pictures and making a memory album. then the object no longer has a significance as a keeper of a memory, the memory has been transferred to the photo and album. Its like magic---those objects suddenly became just old stuff I could part with.

But a warning---it is an emotional process and a long, slow one. Don't think you can toss out a lifetime of memories in a weekend. Start slow and give yourself time, you're saying goodbye.......

Old 06-27-2010, 04:57 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,043,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Retirement is still about a decade away for us, but we're thinking along those terms.

We're in the process of moving for a new job, and I've spent the last several months pruning stuff. I've been keeping a lot of stuff for sentimental reasons, but its reached the critical mass state. I could pack it up and move it again, but I'm not going to.

I've found it is an emotional thing to get rid of stuff but I've come to this conclusion---everytime I look at it I feel sad, it brings back memories of times gone by. Good times, but those people are all gone. If I get rid of it, it can't hurt again. It will hurt one last time, then its gone for good.

Some things are too significant to part with, yet too awkward to ship and store, so I've been taking pictures and making a memory album. then the object no longer has a significance as a keeper of a memory, the memory has been transferred to the photo and album. Its like magic---those objects suddenly became just old stuff I could part with.

But a warning---it is an emotional process and a long, slow one. Don't think you can toss out a lifetime of memories in a weekend. Start slow and give yourself time, you're saying goodbye.......

Excellent post - this is exactly how I feel. I don't think I dwell on the past (neither do you), but the past is part of us and it's really tough getting rid of some things. You may place a lot of value on something but the next person will not. Oh well - it must still be done. Good idea on the memory album.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement