Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 07:24 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,520,892 times

Advertisements

I was lucky to be able to accumulate leave and take 4 weeks off when I wanted to do foreign travel. I only did it about every 5-6 years. Once I had to argue because the boss thought we only needed 2 weeks at a time. I got the leave and the next year he took 4 weeks off.

Now that we are retired, I dont feel the need to travel. I have a number of short get aways but there is no "stressful job" to escape from. Each day is relaxing.

I have one last big trip to Thailand that I want to do in the next 24 months and want to take 30 days or more but there are not a lot of special spots where we want to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 08:07 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,572,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I was surfing the net yesterday and came across a great price for a 34-day cruise from Seattle to Singapore and turned to my wife and asked if she'd like to go. She said yes and I booked it just like that.

No wondering whether we had enough vacation time to take an extended voyage.

No wondering whether anyone in our respective offices had already asked for that particular time off.

No wondering whether we had too much work at the office or whether this was a particularly busy time at work.

No asking her (former) supervisor if she could take five weeks off from work. (And her former supervisor's supervisor.)

No asking my (former) supervisor if I could take five weeks off from work.

No nothing. Just us deciding to go and making the decision.

Twelve years ago, my wife and I traveled to Asia when Cathay Pacific ran a promotion allowing unlimited air travel for 30-days for the low price of $899/person. Unfortunately, my wife was only able to get three weeks off from work at the time, so we had to eliminate our planned trip to Japan and limit our journey to Hong Kong, Bali, Singapore, and Bangkok.

Last year, we took a 30-day cruise to Hawaii, Tahiti, Bora Bora and other South Pacific islands to celebrate our 30th anniversary, and it took weeks to get all the authorizations. This is the number one reason why we retired as soon as we were financially able to do so while still in our early 50s. Our time is our time to do with as we please. No more asking permission to travel where and when we want. This is also the number one reason why I don't understand why others continue to work when they don't have to. Why would anyone want to have to ask permission to take a vacation? Or even ask permission to take as little as one day off?

Not us. Not anymore.
I would say the main reason is that many of us aren't financially able to retire yet. Not that difficult to understand.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:43 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,394,992 times
the #1 reason I retired early................because I could!....

Old 06-12-2010, 07:09 AM

3,645 posts, read 9,233,634 times
Exactly.

That said, I would want to do something once in awhile besides vacations and "hanging out." Maybe work with a charity part time off and on etc.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Exactly.

That said, I would want to do something once in awhile besides vacations and "hanging out." Maybe work with a charity part time off and on etc.
since I retired I have been busier than when I worked. everyone thinks I can run them here and there because I dont have to work,realitives expect me to mow their lawn,clean down spouts,and yesterday a sister inlaw asked if I would fix her brakes and change her oil .........all without any payment.....at least buy your own oil!!! I have to find a job so I can get rest

Old 06-14-2010, 04:45 AM

The number one reason i retired early.................................because i could!!!!!

Old 06-14-2010, 06:02 AM

11,180 posts, read 16,091,692 times
Posted on June 12th:

Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
Posted on June 14th:

Quote:
The number one reason i retired early.................................because i could!!!!!
Are you sure it wasn't because you were becoming forgetful and started repeating yourself?

Old 06-16-2010, 10:11 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,533,296 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Posted on June 12th:

Posted on June 14th:

Are you sure it wasn't because you were becoming forgetful and started repeating yourself?

Its called "having a senior moment"

Old 06-17-2010, 03:41 AM

I'm skitzophrenic......no your not! .....yes you are....no I'm not.......

Old 06-17-2010, 10:33 AM

2,847 posts, read 2,533,296 times
yep, yep, and yep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement