Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 12:59 AM

30,916 posts, read 37,087,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Actually, I wasn't trying to imply anything. And I think that the title of this thread may have been misinterpreted by some. The "we" in the title refers to my wife and me and I was merely explaining the #1 reason why we retired early; I wasn't inquiring as to why others retired or couldn't retire.
Ok, thanks for clearing that up. Nevertheless, I do think a lot more people could retire early if they made it a priority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 07:01 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,561,915 times
One year in retirement and I still have an internal drive "to do something" ---over the last year there probably hasn't been a single day where I just wasted the day and did absolutely nothing. I still have that feeling like I did when on vacation from work where you'd not want to waste a single minute of precious vacation time. I can't get myself to just relax and vegetate.

Today: Ran 3 miles, swam countless laps, lifted weights/exercised, walked 18 holes in Tampa, Florida heat (shot 81, 2 birds!). Very productive day for me.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:19 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,517,030 times
Doing absolutely nothing isnt a waste of day. I might not want to vegetate all day, every day -- but taking a lazy day now and then is healthy, mentally and physically. I'm glad you're enjoying your busy retirement but I hope you can get yourself to just relax and vegetate occasionally.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:57 AM

85 posts, read 178,495 times
Mad Man,
Excellent post! God bless you for retiring early and being able to enjoy your life. I just emailed my wife your entire post because I have been stressing the need for us to retire early and enjoy life! Nothing beats FREEDOM!

Old 07-03-2010, 01:34 AM

114 posts, read 536,735 times
I read through this thread and decided to answer why my husband will retire soon (probably in 2-years), around the age of 56 or 57:

We've saved and saved, been conservative with our money, saved some more and now, in our mid-50's, we're running low on physical energy to care for our 18-year old severely disabled son. So my husband will retire soon, and help me with his care.

Not nearly as 'sexy' as many of the other reasons folks gave but health issues, be it your own or a family member's, is a major concern for many.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:00 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,390,493 times
the # 1 reason I retired early was................because I could !!!!!!!

Old 07-04-2010, 01:57 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,467,241 times
Interesting reading, this thread.

I'm soon to be 57...and my spouse (unemployed and age 54) and I really started saving 12 years ago. We have no children. I'm in a govt. job - and will get a pension. I am shooting for 8-10 years from now - to maximize my pension.

I expect to live a VERY long life. My mother will turn 90 this coming Friday. She's still kickin'. In a nursing home - but still alive.

I "get" the relaxing and enjoying stuff. My dad retired at age 63 and did nothing but sit in his chair and watch TV. He died at age 80. We were surprised he lasted that long.

Both my inlaws are approaching 90. They go dancing a couple of times a week.

Recently, I went through a stressful transition at work (the recession downsizing) - I survived - but had too many vacation days hanging around so I thought I'd take off a week and do just nothing - to relieve myself of the stress.

Found out I LOVED it.

But I also know - that too much idle time can be stressful. If I can take or ride out the stressful times at work - I actually LIKE my job. Seriously.

I've worked since I was 15 years old. Mom dragged me to the state employment service because parents had to sign for minor children in the workforce. I've missed less than 2 years being out of work since that age.

I will retire - when the money's there. And it will be.... in the meantime I get to figure out how I can best use that time - possibly 30 years or more - in retirement - to enjoy myself - through a contribution or simply by relaxing.

It's all a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement