Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 09:37 AM

11,179 posts, read 16,057,581 times

Advertisements

I was surfing the net yesterday and came across a great price for a 34-day cruise from Seattle to Singapore and turned to my wife and asked if she'd like to go. She said yes and I booked it just like that.

No wondering whether we had enough vacation time to take an extended voyage.

No wondering whether anyone in our respective offices had already asked for that particular time off.

No wondering whether we had too much work at the office or whether this was a particularly busy time at work.

No asking her (former) supervisor if she could take five weeks off from work. (And her former supervisor's supervisor.)

No asking my (former) supervisor if I could take five weeks off from work.

No nothing. Just us deciding to go and making the decision.

Twelve years ago, my wife and I traveled to Asia when Cathay Pacific ran a promotion allowing unlimited air travel for 30-days for the low price of $899/person. Unfortunately, my wife was only able to get three weeks off from work at the time, so we had to eliminate our planned trip to Japan and limit our journey to Hong Kong, Bali, Singapore, and Bangkok.

Last year, we took a 30-day cruise to Hawaii, Tahiti, Bora Bora and other South Pacific islands to celebrate our 30th anniversary, and it took weeks to get all the authorizations. This is the number one reason why we retired as soon as we were financially able to do so while still in our early 50s. Our time is our time to do with as we please. No more asking permission to travel where and when we want. This is also the number one reason why I don't understand why others continue to work when they don't have to. Why would anyone want to have to ask permission to take a vacation? Or even ask permission to take as little as one day off?

Not us. Not anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 10:33 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,505,239 times
The physical freedom retirement can allow a person is wonderful. I totally get what you are saying.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:49 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,955,551 times
Kewl .... good for you

We retire on June 30 and have a 23 day cruise booked for the Fall. That is after we get back from a month in Europe

Old 06-06-2010, 06:35 PM

4,267 posts, read 11,443,162 times
I understand the limited time off all too well. You are also very fortunate to be able to afford such a cruise. It sounds wonderful. DH and I are still part of the work force and will continue to work for the next 9 years. We are also going to Asia in September. Our daughter/grandchildren live there. We've been once, about 2 years ago and limited our 12 days to Hong Kong and Macau. This trip we'll do Shenzhen, Bejing and then fly with the family to a small Chinese village in the mountains for a few days. We had to request the time off way ahead of time and cannot take more than 2 weeks at a time.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:17 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,379,074 times
One thing is for sure - when it comes time for each of us to draw their final breath, no one - I repeat, NO ONE - thinks "gee I wish I had spent more time at the office".

Ken

Old 06-07-2010, 04:34 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,386,177 times
I love my job....I love my job .....I love my job! .....I quit my job .......I am happy

Old 06-07-2010, 07:21 AM

37,536 posts, read 61,578,054 times
Very well stated.

My employer calls 'Vacation time' = 'Leave'.

During most of my career we had two approved 'leave' periods each year where my employer allowed people to take leave. Both approved leave periods were 2-weeks long and they were set 6-months apart.

Asking for leave outside of those two periods was automatically denied, and would require extraordinary circumstances to 'justify' why you felt that you needed leave at some other time. Our chain-of-command would require that to approve a leave request outside of the scheduled leave periods you must have already accumulated 2 years worth of unused leave on your account. [we were 'entitled' to 30-days of leave each year. We were allowed to accumulate up to 90-days of leave on our account before those days were 'lost']

Upper management always assumed that everyone would use 4 weeks of leave each year. Upper management decided when they wanted their leave to be, and that became the 'approve leave periods'. They assumed that everyone else would 'lock-step' and go on leave at the same time. The problem was that for lower management they also scheduled mandatory training and schools during these leave periods. So unless you were at the bottom of the ladder, or at the top of the ladder; you were already obligated to be in school during these leave periods. Therefore we were rarely allowed to take leave.

After my first 5 years, I had 60+ days of leave saved up, and it worked out that I had a lot of saved up leave during my entire career. It was almost always a fight to be allowed to take leave, it usually required documentation from outside sources to justify why I wanted leave.

When I retired I had 90-days on my account.

Being on pension is much better

Old 06-08-2010, 01:12 PM

88,777 posts, read 85,174,600 times
Keep talking, everyone, I want to hear this...

Old 06-08-2010, 04:00 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,088,309 times
Amen! It's a great feeling to just be able to go and do. Especially when you are still young enough to enjoy it! Have a great cruise!

Old 06-08-2010, 06:30 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,551,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Keep talking, everyone, I want to hear this...
In my former occupation it was almost impossible to take more than a week of annual leave off at a time due to occupational pressures and the times I could take leave were very limited as they were tied to a legislative calendar. I usually had to content myself by taking a few extra days at a time in conjunction with holiday weekends. My wife also had the same constraints.

Now that we're both retired we have the time and freedom we want and even simple things like shopping, appointments or going out for dinner are easier and less stressful because we don't have to wait for weekends when everyone else is off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement