Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 02:46 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,982 times

Advertisements

I have to be in Boston for work at 9 a.m. two days next week. I've been expecting this to happen for a while, so I've done a pretty extensive amount of research on my options, and yet I can't help but think I haven't quite figured it all out. I live in East Greenwich, near Goddard Park and about five minutes from the I-95 on ramp; I'll have to be near South Station on Tuesday and Back Bay on Thursday. I have a tentative plan but won't reveal it because I don't want to influence your answers. So, practiced Boston commuters, please tell me:
  • What's the best mode (or modes) of transportation? (I drive to Boston all the time, it's easy and reasonably fast, but that's on the weekend.)
  • If you advise the commuter rail, which station should I depart from?
  • What time?
  • How much time should I allow myself to get to the station?
  • Where should I park? How much does it cost?
  • How long will the entire trip take?
I have faith in you! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 03:33 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
The train.

Probably from Warwick if the timing is right.......though you haven't mentioned your return schedule.

You can get off at Back Bay or South Station. I normally walk from SS to Copley Square when I have to go in.

Of note, I took the bus to Boston on Monday. Going up was fine. Took the 5pm bus back......and didn't get into the Prov terminal til 10 min to 7.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:43 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times
Go to PVD airport or South Attleboro and take the MBTA. I suggest taking the 808 train which departs Attleboro 07:22. It's sort of express and arrives BBY 08:02, which leaves plenty of time for a nice breakkie and the opportunity to express utter disdain for Boston.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:53 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,183,149 times
P&R at the airport is probably your best bet. It's $5 for parking; the train leaves at 6:52 and gets to Back bay at 8:11 and South Station at 8:16. Then hang in a coffee shop for half an hour. Coming home, the first train after 5 leaves South Station at 5:40 and Back Bay at 5:45.

If you live within walking distance from Route 1 and don't mind a half hour layover in downtown Providence on the way home, I would say leave the car at home and take the 14 to the airport (leaves from 1 & 401 at 6:23) in the morning. Coming home, take the 5:40 train from South Station (5:45 from Back Bay) to Providence (6:46), then the 14 (7:15) back to East Greenwich. The connection is shorter if you have the flexibility to leave a little earlier and can be on the train at 5:00.

It's July and traffic is marginally lighter, so driving might end up being slightly quicker, but probably not by much. I drove in twice this week and should have taken the train. Took about an hour and 40 minutes from Pawtucket. Coming home will be 2+ hours easily, especially Thursday.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:55 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,183,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Go to PVD airport or South Attleboro and take the MBTA. I suggest taking the 808 train which departs Attleboro 07:22. It's sort of express and arrives BBY 08:02, which leaves plenty of time for a nice breakkie and the opportunity to express utter disdain for Boston.
That involves dealing with Providence traffic to get to South Attleboro and parking a half a mile away by Home Depot because it tends to fill up early.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
That involves dealing with Providence traffic to get to South Attleboro and parking a half a mile away by Home Depot because it tends to fill up early.
Another reason not to own a car... pathetic indignities, like dealing with parking lots. That said, he prolly should go to the airport, which I hear has very easy parking.

Re: PVD traffic. I was on RIPTA bus a few months ago and this bus driver was so determined to make it to KP on time that she manhandled that mutli-ton, 35ft bus into the breakdown lane and just tooled into the city. We were passing cars! It was a great moment, a bit of Rhode Island's glorious tenacity.

Last edited by AlfieBoy; 07-17-2015 at 04:13 PM..

Old 07-17-2015, 04:19 PM

3,797 posts, read 2,696,474 times
I wouldn't drive it when you have the 'luxury' of going to South Station or Back Bay.

I've never parked at TF Green to take the train since I'm in Providence, but that seems the way to go if, as mentioned by ocngypz, your return schedule makes that possible. As others have noted, you can get the 808 train from there for the way up. The 810 train is cutting it too close.
According to this link, parking is $6.75/day at TF Green. Not sure where mp775 got the figure of $5/day.

Anyone know about purchasing an MBTA ticket there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Why not Providence Station? One reason I see is the parking rate at the mall is $20/day which is on the expensive side, but wondering if you have some other reason. I agree with mp775 about the difficulties parking in South Attleboro.

If for some reason you decide to go to Providence station, you can buy an MBTA ticket at Cafe La France (cash only) and save a three bucks vs. buying the fare on board. I don't know where you buy the ticket in advance at TF Green but doing so also saves $3 each way.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:24 PM

120 posts, read 235,325 times
I take it from TF Green into the city and pretty much echo what others said. It sure beats driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
There are a lot of days I actually have to go to south Attleboro as it can be hard to catch the 5:45 from Back Bay (last train the wickford jct or TF green until 8:20) due to the location of my work. I've never run into PVD traffic. This is between 6 to 6:45 in the AM. Although today actually l drove in around 7:30 and there was no traffic although it is Friday.

Slightly off topic but I'm surprised that s. Attleboro hasn't been condemned - 2 of 3 stairwells are closed and the other one had holes growing through the rust.

At Green you buy the tix on the train and there is no extra fee as there is no on site tix vendor

Last edited by Juicy J; 07-17-2015 at 04:43 PM..

Old 07-17-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I wouldn't drive it when you have the 'luxury' of going to South Station or Back Bay.

I've never parked at TF Green to take the train since I'm in Providence, but that seems the way to go if, as mentioned by ocngypz, your return schedule makes that possible. As others have noted, you can get the 808 train from there for the way up. The 810 train is cutting it too close.
According to this link, parking is $6.75/day at TF Green. Not sure where mp775 got the figure of $5/day.

Anyone know about purchasing an MBTA ticket there?

Why not Providence Station? One reason I see is the parking rate at the mall is $20/day which is on the expensive side, but wondering if you have some other reason. I agree with mp775 about the difficulties parking in South Attleboro.

If for some reason you decide to go to Providence station, you can buy an MBTA ticket at Cafe La France (cash only) and save a couple bucks vs. buying the fare on board. I don't know if there is a similar deal from TF Green.

You save $3 by buying prior to boarding. If there isn't an option to buy a ticket at the MBTA stop @ PVD airport, the $3 penalty is waived. Access to the station @ PVD is really messed up, due to construction.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy J View Post
I take it from TF Green into the city and pretty much echo what others said. It sure beats driving.

There are a lot of days I actually have to go to south Attleboro as it can be hard to catch the 5:45 from Back Bay due to the location of my work. This is between 6 to 6:45. Although today actually l drove in around 7:30 and there was no traffic although it is Friday.

Slightly off topic but I'm surprised that s. Attleboro hasn't been condemned - 2 of 3 stairwells are closed and the other one had holes growing through the rust.

At Green you buy the tix on the train and there is no extra fee as there is no on site tix vendor
Most of the MBTA stations suck. BBY is a horror story because of the diesel fumes. Why haven't they gone to electric?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island