Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 02:08 PM

137 posts, read 109,646 times

Advertisements

Would I be able to find a decent one bedroom apartment around the providence area for under 1200?
Or is providence just crazy expensive like Boston .

I feel in love with the area the other day when I visited
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 02:26 PM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Yes, but get a job here first.

Old 08-07-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Yes, but get a job here first.

My company is there . I would have a lateral transfer awaiting .

Which areas would you recommend I look at for that price range , that's not a run down " ghetto " area

Old 08-07-2016, 06:02 PM

822 posts, read 858,405 times
Providence is way less expensive than Boston.
The East Side ( College Hill, Thayer St, Blackstone Blvd area) would be the most expensive and easily the most desirable.
Stay away from South Prov (from South of Union Ave/Cranston St all the way to RI Hospital)
West End is reasonable (Armory District/Broadway/Federal Hill) Its becoming a very trendy area, very eclectic/artsy .. and you can find a huge apt ..lots of Victorians and similar type houses.
There's also the N. End (Mt Peasant/PC area) reasonable as well.
I live in the West End (Armory)in an 1880's Victorian .. 2 bed/double parlor (with pocket doors that still work!) for just under $1000 (nothing included, but still decent and I don't need a roommate ... got all that space to myself)
You'll definitely be able to find a cool place for $1200.
If your interested in the West End, contact the Armory Revival Company ... they have the best listings
Where are you coming from?

Last edited by mvpsharky; 08-07-2016 at 06:17 PM..

Old 08-07-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
Providence is way less expensive than Boston.
The East Side ( College Hill, Thayer St, Blackstone Blvd area) would be the most expensive and easily the most desirable.
Stay away from South Prov (from South of Union Ave/Cranston St all the way to RI Hospital)
West End is reasonable (Armory District/Broadway/Federal Hill) Its becoming a very trendy area, very eclectic/artsy .. and you can find a huge apt ..lots of Victorians and similar type houses.
There's also the N. End (Mt Peasant/PC area) reasonable as well.
I live in the West End (Armory)in an 1880's Victorian .. 2 bed/double parlor (with pocket doors that still work!) for just under $1000 (nothing included, but still decent and I don't need a roommate ... got all that space to myself)
You'll definitely be able to find a cool place for $1200.
If your interested in the West End, contact the Armory Revival Company ... they have the best listings
Where are you coming from?

Thank you for the help! I know it would probably be classified as "downtown" but I ate at trinity brew house and was at the providence mall , what's that areas name ?

As well as the area by the zoo seemed very run down , public transit bus routes and people down on their luck everywhere .

I would be comming from upstate New York

Old 08-07-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comeandgo92 View Post
Thank you for the help! I know it would probably be classified as "downtown" but I ate at trinity brew house and was at the providence mall , what's that areas name ?

As well as the area by the zoo seemed very run down , public transit bus routes and people down on their luck everywhere .

I would be comming from upstate New York
That area near the mall and state house is called Smith Hill, but yeah, basically downtown ... or "down city" as it's referred to locally. I'd stay away from the park area. It's a nice park, but in a bad neighborhood. That area is part of the South End I told you about. I think your best bets are the West or North End.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
That area near the mall and state house is called Smith Hill, but yeah, basically downtown ... or "down city" as it's referred to locally. I'd stay away from the park area. It's a nice park, but in a bad neighborhood. That area is part of the South End I told you about. I think your best bets are the West or North End.
Thank you I will look at these areas .

What is life in providence overall like ? Is it a young hip city with lots of bars and nightlife . Or is it a laid back beach city due to his proximity to the water ?

Also how bad is traffic ? When we were leaving downtown prov around 2pm on our way to Franklin park zoo the traffic was pretty bad and we weren't expecting that .

Does the traffic get bad because Boston is so close ?

Old 08-08-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:

What is life in providence overall like ? Is it a young hip city with lots of bars and nightlife . Or is it a laid back beach city due to his proximity to the water ?

Also how bad is traffic ? When we were leaving downtown prov around 2pm on our way to Franklin park zoo the traffic was pretty bad and we weren't expecting that .

Providence is a cool little city. There's usually something going on. Kinda quieter in the Summer, but it livens up when the college kids come back. Tons of restaurants, good theater, lots of bars and pubs, art galleries, and special events (waterfire for one). I wouldn't call it a beach city, but its pretty laid back in the Summer. It livens up in September. So I guess it's both laid back and young and hip at the same time ... depending on the time of year. Traffic is usually only bad right around downtown, but there is some construction on I95 ... that's probably what you ran into. I work in MA and I hit it this morning, but its usually fine once I get out of Providence.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:

Providence is a cool little city. There's usually something going on. Kinda quieter in the Summer, but it livens up when the college kids come back. Tons of great restaurants, good theater, lots of bars and pubs, art galleries, and special events (waterfire for one). I wouldn't call it a beach city, but its pretty laid back in the Summer. It livens up in September. So I guess it's both laid back and young and hip at the same time ... depending on the time of year. Traffic is usually only bad right around downtown, but there is some construction on I95 ... that's probably what you ran into. I work in MA and I hit it this morning, but its usually fine once I get out of Providence.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:37 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,056,073 times
Quote:

bad because of Boston? No it does fine by itself. After 2 pm traffic starts building up on the interstates. And this is summer, it gets worse once the school seasons start. Public transit bus routes? Many people use them, not as many as there should be, but some 60,000 a day use the system. I second the Armory area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island