Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 09:54 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,700,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
OP, there are some recent transplants who made the mistake of moving to ghetto areas in RI. I'm not sure if it was because that's all they could afford or if they just thought they were smarter than all the people that warned them not to. Regardless, these people will occasionally come on here to vigorously defend the slums they live in. And, in an effort to justify their mistakes, they often try to steer newcomers towards their problem neighborhoods. These people lack knowledge and credibility.

There are also some people living in higher end suburban areas of RI that like to purchase properties in ghetto areas as an investment. They'd never live in the areas they've invested in, but they'll happily attempt to deliberately mislead newcomers by hyping up these areas in an effort to line their pockets.

Relocating is often a major life decision, and this relocation forum can be a terrific resource...but one needs to be very careful of those with ulterior motives.
Rather than looking for ulterior motives for positive comments, just be cautious of posters who have never lived in the neighborhoods they slander with pejorative terms like "ghetto" & "slums". I don't think you'll find many people on this forum who actually live in ghettos or slums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 09:57 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
We certainly won't make a decision based on one trip, but it's not possible for us with my work schedule and a pet to come for a longer visit at a time. We've got several years before a move if we do decide to move, so plenty of time to come visit.

We're just coming out to get a sense of the area and will make several trips out. Just want to narrow down what we want to see that "might" be a fit. The reason I am on this board is I know that living somewhere is very different than visiting, and only people who live in a place can give you the real scoop. I heard that about realtors not being able to tell you anything negative. I don't quite get that. Which is why it's even more important to get other people's opinions that live there.

We love the little bungalows in what I think is the Gaspee section of Warwick - 531 Fair St is an example. Street looks quite nice with sidewalks, trees. But I know looks can be deceiving. Are there other areas that have these kind of houses?
Good. It's just that you'll need a number of trips- I'd hate to see someone buying on only first impressions.

Do visit Fair St- much of it is very nice. RI is loaded with old homes- in fact most of our inventory is old homes, so it really does come down to neighborhood, demographics, taxes, amenities, etc. You really do need to drive both the west bay and the east bay.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:30 AM

17,747 posts, read 9,202,314 times
It would also be helpful if some of the frauds on here were required to identify themselves as the active real estate agents that they in fact are.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
No, I'm not comfortable living in an "up and coming" area bordering a ghetto, or in an up and coming area period.

Is there a different zip code for the east side of Providence (if I recall, this is the nicest part)?
The East Side zip is 2906. It's made up of several different neighborhoods depending on your taste & budget.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:36 PM

4,231 posts, read 1,676,360 times
Quote:
No, I'm not comfortable living in an "up and coming" area bordering a ghetto, or in an up and coming area period.

Is there a different zip code for the east side of Providence (if I recall, this is the nicest part)?
Forgive me, but are you comfortable moving to ANY part of a city that's putting the finishing touches on a bankruptcy plan. And you'll be paying some of the highest tax rates in the country for sub-par services, failing schools and third world infrastructure. Providence is not a city on the way up. Do yourself a favor and think it through.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:50 PM

17,747 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Forgive me, but are you comfortable moving to ANY part of a city that's putting the finishing touches on a bankruptcy plan. And you'll be paying some of the highest tax rates in the country for sub-par services, failing schools and third world infrastructure. Providence is not a city on the way up. Do yourself a favor and think it through.
Warwick is dealing with similar issues.

Once a desirable middle class destination, Warwick now faces financial stress

Old 06-16-2019, 12:57 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,011,018 times
We don't plan to move to either Providence or Warwick.

Old 06-16-2019, 02:20 PM

4,231 posts, read 1,676,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Rhode Island is coming apart at the seams and it's going to move quickly from here. It's likely that Rhode Island is moving into recession and it's gonna be ugly folks. As economists are wont to prognosticate: the unsustainable will continue on.........until it can't. And remembering that you heard it here first will be thanks enough for the warning.

Old 06-16-2019, 03:53 PM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
The East Side zip is 2906. It's made up of several different neighborhoods depending on your taste & budget.
That would be 02906. Although featuring homes up to the multimillions, the east side is not a monolithic neighborhood. Fox Point is quite different from Mt Hope and from College Hill and so on.
It is diverse and eclectic.

Many like it because it has many restaurants, is very walkable and convenient, and has many cultural events. It also has proximity to downtown and many who work downtown have a ten minute commute.

At this weekend's historic house tour of the Paterson Park area, I met people visiting from many parts of Europe as well as many locals affiliated with Brown University and RISD.

You really need to visit so you can see why the doom and gloomers are so jealous.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
That would be 02906. Although featuring homes up to the multimillions, the east side is not a monolithic neighborhood. Fox Point is quite different from Mt Hope and from College Hill and so on.
It is diverse and eclectic.

Many like it because it has many restaurants, is very walkable and convenient, and has many cultural events. It also has proximity to downtown and many who work downtown have a ten minute commute.

At this weekend's historic house tour of the Paterson Park area, I met people visiting from many parts of Europe as well as many locals affiliated with Brown University and RISD.

You really need to visit so you can see why the doom and gloomers are so jealous.
The Patterson Park neighborhood is really a bit of a hidden East Side treasure. Years ago, I renovated the former Grace Church rectory on Oriole, one house off of the park. The whole residential area is architecturally eclectic & quietly tucked off the beaten path. I missed the tour, but heard it was nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island