Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 10:58 AM

9,323 posts, read 14,945,768 times

Advertisements

Don't forget renting in East Providence (a separate city)- arguably a faster commute to College Hill than the West Bay. Rumford or Riverside sections would be good. A number of apt complexes as well as some townhouses and single family houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 11:47 AM

17,860 posts, read 9,297,914 times
OP, maybe something in Western Cranston like:

275k -- https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_M44919-35134

299k -- https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_M41684-51010

255k -- https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M36973-58932

Old 09-09-2019, 11:55 AM

Or maybe not.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Or maybe not.
And why's that?

The OP is looking for suburban/rural under 300k.

Step up to the plate, Holly, and show me something that fits his needs better.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:11 PM

Sorry, but I just choke on 1100 to 1200 sq ft raised ranches. It's a matter of taste.

Until the OP is a lot more specific as to his personal taste in houses, I don't think recommending specific properties is a good idea.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but I just choke on 1100 to 1200 sq ft raised ranches. It's a matter of taste.

Until the OP is a lot more specific as to his personal taste in houses, I don't think recommending specific properties is a good idea.
The OP has stated several times that he's not looking for anything fancy. 2 of the 3 listings I posted seem to meet all of his needs except for having a fenced in yard. One of the listings only has 1 bathroom.

He may not care for those specific properties, but I'm giving him an idea of what's out there. He can probably get more bang for his buck in Western Cranston than anywhere else in the state...and it's safe.

And, by the way, if you weren't aware, the square footage of raised ranches is typically understated as it's often only the top floor that is factored in.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:33 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,576,843 times
Quote:

It might be a matter of 'taste', but it is directly a matter of affordability. If they are in the 'raised ranch' price range, that is what they can purchase. All of those listings shown seem very nice, seem like good neighborhoods, and they should take a good look at their price range, first.

Having been an agent for awhile, you should remember that it is the kiss of death to avoid showing property that the agent believes does not suit the agent's taste. It is so worthwhile showing an out of state client what there is to offer in his price range. It is up to the client to reject seeing a listing or not. Sometimes, also, the job doesn't work out for them to afford to even live in an area. But you never impose your own taste on a buyer.

One of the last homes I sold here, to a client from Washington D.C. was over a half million. It took several months back and forth for them to travel here before they realized what they wanted was more expensive than the $350k they thought they could get here in a country club area. They ended up paying $640,000 (cash deal) -- and are happier than ever -- after 2 years house hunting with me, thank goodness. After that they purchased a cute cabin on a mountain for a 'retreat' with killer views, for $300,000. We are friends to this day, lovely people and very loyal.

This potential buyer we are conversing with will know what he and his wife should buy or rent after they go to a RI bank and get qualified. Then the hunt begins with a good agent who can 'read' what they want.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 09-09-2019 at 02:41 PM..

Old 09-09-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
The OP has stated several times that he's not looking for anything fancy. 2 of the 3 listings I posted seem to meet all of his needs except for having a fenced in yard. One of the listings only has 1 bathroom.

He may not care for those specific properties, but I'm giving him an idea of what's out there. He can probably get more bang for his buck in Western Cranston than anywhere else in the state...and it's safe.

And, by the way, if you weren't aware, the square footage of raised ranches is typically understated as it's often only the top floor that is factored in.
Fair enough, but he can get a good idea by looking at RILiving.com as already suggested- the MLS online. And there truly is- no accounting for taste. I would also not send someone who wants to work on College Hill to western Cranston!!!

Last edited by Hollytree; 09-09-2019 at 04:56 PM..

Old 09-09-2019, 05:40 PM

23,738 posts, read 18,846,573 times
Quote:

Total rubbish. It is completely reasonable to give OP examples of homes that meet their criteria. Their budget puts them firmly in the starter home range. Guess what a very large portion of entry level homes are in the RI suburbs...yes the beloved raised ranch (and yes this gives them a good picture of what their budget would realistically buy). Won't win any fashion awards, but perfectly functional. If it doesn't suit them, they will move on. They didn't ask you for your taste of architectural styles.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
And there truly is- no accounting for taste. I would also not send someone who wants to work on College Hill to western Cranston!!!
Why not? Please be specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island