Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 08:30 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,122,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I am advocating a comprehensive immigration reform to address the many problems. I think the primary problem is our laws not the motivation of the immigrants to work in America and suffer the consequences of their undocumented status.

I am sure there is a way to allow the undocumented workers access to the jobs that they are already doing, and to do so in a manner in which they are protected from the exploitation of corporations and businesses who see them as a cheap source of labor, subsidized by government to ensure their profit margin.

I am not "justifying" the undocumented workers; I am advocating for a comprehensive reform of immigration, in a way that acknowledges reality and serves this nation. That demands that we legalize a work force and the full participation of many contributing members of our communities.
Ok, I have only one problem with your reply and that is naming them "undocumented". They are illegal! Breaking the law by sneaking into America is not the right way to get work here and I cannot condone that action in light of the 911 disaster.

Why aren't these 20 million or so illegals trying to fix their own countries ?

Old 12-26-2007, 08:36 AM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
Behavior may be termed "illegal"; People are never "illegal" or "illegals"; this is just as true of babies who are never "illegitimate". To apply the label "illegal" is to brand them and to start to chip away at their humanity. I consider them to be totally legal people who have broken our immigration laws. If you exceed the speed limit on the interstate, I might say you have broken the law, I wouldnt call you "illegal". They may be here illegally without proper documentation...but I don't consider them "illegals". I think that is an attempt to demonize them to justify a whole manner of ugly responses to them.

Our broken boarders are a homeland security issue; but the millions of latinos toiling in our fields and orchards and packing plants....they are not terrorists....it is a slight of hand to pretend the problem of homeland security and the laws which govern immigration have anything to do with each other. I believe that all of the 9/11 perpertrators came here "legally".

Old 12-26-2007, 08:44 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,122,761 times
Thumbs up Again, a difference in perception

Quote:
Behavior may be termed "illegal"; People are never "illegal" or "illegals"; this is just as true of babies who are never "illegitimate". To apply the label "illegal" is to brand them and to start to chip away at their humanity. I consider them to be totally legal people who have broken our immigration laws. If you exceed the speed limit on the interstate, I might say you have broken the law, I wouldnt call you "illegal". They may be here illegally without proper documentation...but I don't consider them "illegals". I think that is an attempt to demonize them to justify a whole manner of ugly responses to them.
Again, you are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. Like others who break the law they should be punished not rewarded!

I think we wore this out..let someone else post their views

Old 12-26-2007, 08:45 AM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
Again, you are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. Like others who break the law they should be punished not rewarded!

I think we wore this out..let someone else post their views
I agree with you. Have a good day!

Old 12-26-2007, 11:06 AM

49 posts, read 166,588 times
operation *******. If Ike could do it why can't Bush? Don't bother responding I already know the answer - we are but a shadow of or former selves.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:09 AM

The ****** refers to a quasi military/police action carried out by the US government and federal marshals to round up and deport scores of Mexican's in 1954. The term can also be used as a slang for Mexican's. Picture in your mind what happens to their clothes after crossing the Rio Grande.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:05 PM

447 posts, read 1,849,952 times
Quote:

Our broken boarders are a homeland security issue; but the millions of latinos toiling in our fields and orchards and packing plants....they are not terrorists....it is a slight of hand to pretend the problem of homeland security and the laws which govern immigration have anything to do with each other. I believe that all of the 9/11 perpertrators came here "legally".
I completely and 100% agree with your opinions voiced on this thread! Thank you for vocalizing them so eloquently. It drives me nuts to hear the attitude of those who feel all these horrible illegal criminals sneak over here to live high on the hog off our social programs. The facts and data simply do not support that discriminatory attitude. The vast majority of undocumented residents are hardworking poor laborers who are either fleeing a horrible situation in their home country (and no, it's not "simple" to get refugee status) or are desperate to create a better life for their children and are unable to navigate the years-long bureacracy that it takes to get the legal paperwork, whether due to lack of education, language issues, or lack of access to immigration lawyers to help process the paperwork.

I feel that many Americans have this attitude that "only" the foreign educated engineers, doctors, etc who have something to "add" to this country should be encouraged to come here. The fact is that our American economy depends on undocumented residents to keep costs down in many industries - yet we turn around and penalize them for not going through the proper channels.

There is a prison not far from Austin, TX (where I am) to house undocumented residents while they wait to be deported/their situation is investigated. There were many, many women and children who spent Christmas in prison, simply for not having the right paperwork to be in this country. It's shameful.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:02 PM

774 posts, read 2,382,633 times
Be reminded that the immigrants who came here years ago came here LEGALLY!

Mikey in NC,

The hundreds of people I saw in treatment were ALL HERE LEGALLY. A vast majority were either born in the US or came when they were young.
They would have to be...they needed to have some form of insurance (i.e. medicaid) to be seen in the first place.

Also, I would think my grandfather would have been considered an "illegal alien" today.
The difference when he immigrated 80 or so years ago was that he was sponsored by companies that were looking for workers.
He assimilated quite smoothly.

That's not happening any more.
Mikey

Old 12-26-2007, 07:32 PM

How about rid ourselves of the illegals and the social programs -kill two birds with one stone.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:45 AM

774 posts, read 2,382,633 times
How about rid ourselves of corporate thieves...rid ourselves of ten birds with one stone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island