Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 03:19 PM

13 posts, read 29,383 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My family and I will be relocating to the Richmond area very soon due to a new job. We met with a realtor last week while in town, and looked at the Magnolia Green (Moseley Area) as well as the Midlothian area and Henrico/West End areas. We are looking at building, if unable to find exact house we want.

Can anyone share some information on the Magnolia Green area? I understand that they are expecting to build up to 3500 homes in this community....would this hurt resale? How is it living around Hull Street? Safe? Schools decent? Family oriented? Anyone with first hand experience that lives in Magnolia Green?

We are a married couple in our lower 30's, with a 2 year old daughter and expecting another baby in August. We would like to find a lot without a house behind us (either on golf course or wooded lot behind us), and preferably 1/4 to 1/2 acre. Would also like a house between 3,000-4,000 sq. feet, and budget is between $300,000 - $400,000.

Thanks for everyone's input!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 07:26 AM

Any with an opinion of this community/area?

Old 01-16-2012, 06:54 AM

111 posts, read 242,061 times
It seems to me that Magnolia Green has kind of fizzled. I know the developer was trying to sell it or declared bankruptcy or something like that. We looked there but it was 1) too far out and 2) we wanted amenities like a pool for the kids and we weren't confident MG would have that. The housing market sucks right now so it could be decades before they have a good number of homes or amenities. Have you looked in Fox Creek? We considered building there.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:50 PM

485 posts, read 690,406 times
Magnolia Green really never took off as it was being developed right as the housing market crashed. We found it also to be too far outside of Richmond. In that area we did like all of the "Fox" communities. On the lesser expensive side Hampton Park has nice amenities for a young family. We still found it a little far out.

I guess it depends on where you will be working. We ended up going to the Midlothian (Rt. 60) area. Only 20 minutes to downtown, about 10 minutes to Short Pump / West end. Great Schools - although schools in the Mosby (rt. 360) area are good too.

In the standard Midlothina Rt. 60 area we liked Charter Colony for the lower side prices and all of the subdivision along Robious (which tend to be over $500k).

Old 01-30-2012, 11:35 AM

Thank you both for the information!

I will be working from home for 90% of the time. I am still wanting to check out the Fox Creek area, as well as Charter Colony. We are also interested in the Westerleigh neighborhood.

Anyone with additional insight to Charter Colony, Fox Creek, and Westerleigh?

Old 01-30-2012, 02:02 PM

111 posts, read 242,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtoVA View Post
Thank you both for the information!

I will be working from home for 90% of the time. I am still wanting to check out the Fox Creek area, as well as Charter Colony. We are also interested in the Westerleigh neighborhood.

Anyone with additional insight to Charter Colony, Fox Creek, and Westerleigh?
We looked at building a Ryan Home in Foxcreek. There are a lot of bigger homes there, but it is a bit far out. We loved that neighborhood, though. The schools out there are great. There are other builders there besides Ryan Homes. I think Ryans Homes are building the lowest priced ones, though.

We ended up buying a home in Charter Colony, also a Ryan Home. Charter Colony is built out for the most part, but it's still a fairly new neighborhood of homes 5-7 years olds. We love it there. It's closer to the city and you don't have to deal with the Hull Street congestion as much, which we like I don't know....we just like this side of Midlothian better. The schools are equally great where we are.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:34 AM

485 posts, read 690,406 times
There are a few lots we saw on the charter colony area across from the community college. I have to agree a very convenient area to everything compared to the foxs and 360 area. Midlothian pretty much has everything.

Oh another subdivision we like all existing houses was kingham in the groves. Of course credit to how good these neighborhoods are we never saw a lot of houses come available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond