Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 28,152 times

Advertisements

I am a single white female who will be living by myself so safety will be key, Plus I have an old cherried out muscle car, that I would not like to be stolen.
What specific areas of Richmond should I not live?
The North East and South side are the most affordable, but I have read bad things, is there any safe areas amongst theses areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 08:20 PM

689 posts, read 1,615,640 times
Well, that's a pretty broad range. It depends a lot on where you'll be working and how much you want to pay for housing. In general, the eastern end of Henrico County, especially right at the city limit, is pretty rough. Chesterfield County just south of the city is also pretty rough, but if you don't mind living in an older apartment complex, for example, you can find a decent place in a safe neighborhood.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:33 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,776,713 times
There are good areas and bad areas. What's your budget?

Old 11-15-2013, 07:33 PM

5 posts, read 62,888 times
Any neighborhood/apartment complex that ends with "Court" or "Village" = bad.

Any neighborhood that has a "Sav A Lot" store or a plethora of Family Dollar Stores = bad.

Any neighborhood that has convenience stores that are not named 7-11 (i.e. Marketplace #5, Stop N Go, Lucky's etc) = bad.

Any apartment complex that undergoes multiple name changes = bad.

Any neighborhood that has a bunch of shopping strips filled with cash advance places, rent to own places, urban clothing stores, beauty supply stores & is anchored by a Food Lion = bad.

Any neighborhood that has DriveTime or a bunch of independently owned used car lots = bad.

Any neighborhood that has stores that you know used to be a McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Burger King, Golden Skillet etc. but is now something else (ex. cash advance place, used car lot) = bad.

Any neighborhood where you see bars on the doors & windows of a business = bad.

If your mailing address is "Richmond VA" = bad

Basically the east end & south side of the city are not low crime areas. There are pockets of good areas. The good outweighs the bad but you have to know which is which.

The areas of Henrico & Chesterfield that are closest to the city are not low crime areas; again, there are pockets of good, you just have to know which is which.

And just because you may live/work/shop in Short Pump, that doesn't give you security b/c most of the armed carjackings are occurring in Short Pump, not East End Henrico.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:46 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,943,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstngterry View Post
I am a single white female who will be living by myself so safety will be key, Plus I have an old cherried out muscle car, that I would not like to be stolen.
What specific areas of Richmond should I not live?
The North East and South side are the most affordable, but I have read bad things, is there any safe areas amongst theses areas?
What are you looking for in a place you want to live?

Old 11-16-2013, 06:15 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,015 times
RVA mailing address = bad?? Right. Windsor Farms = bad. Not quite.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:20 AM

553 posts, read 616,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
Rocketts Landing. Soooo bad!

Old 11-16-2013, 04:19 PM

5 posts, read 62,888 times
Quote:
One neighborhood in one zip code does not negate the fact that if you have a Richmond mailing address, 9 times out of 10 you're not in a great neighborhood. Sorry.

Quote:
Rocketts Landing. Soooo bad!
And 5 minutes away, you're in the hood. In two different directions.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:31 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,015 times
Yep. The Fan, Museum District, Sauer's Gardens, Bellevue, Carillon, Rosedale, Stratford Hills, Libbie and Grove, Stony Point, etc etc etc. All terrifying. I think University of Richmond is the scariest if the bunch though

Old 11-17-2013, 11:13 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,263,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
Yep. The Fan, Museum District, Sauer's Gardens, Bellevue, Carillon, Rosedale, Stratford Hills, Libbie and Grove, Stony Point, etc etc etc. All terrifying. I think University of Richmond is the scariest if the bunch though
Cool and beautiful as these areas are they bump up against really scary areas. I never understand why that doesn't make sense to people.

It's sad to me that neighborhoods w/ old growth trees and really old, gorgeous homes are surrounded by crime. . . but they are.

Alley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond