Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 01:36 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times

Advertisements

My favorites are:

You know the correct pronunciation for the Powhite Parkway
You spot a Ukrops bag anywhere and know that person is from Richmond.
You remember when Westland shopping center was in the middle of nowhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 08:44 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayBreeze View Post
All I can think about now is how much I miss Ukrops...
*sigh*
Years ago when I saw that Harris Teeter was rated second best grocery store in America, I think Ukrops was rated the best. I had just never heard of the store. Someone correct me if I am wrong or if the ratings have changed or if Ukrops is not a grocery store. I don't remember ever seeing one and I have been through Richmond several times.

There is something Richmond has in common with Charlotte. You can drive straight down the streets in Charlotte and they change names along the way.

My husband was born in Virginia. He always reminds me that more presidents were born in Virginia than any other state. He has Williamsburg roots.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:28 AM

23 posts, read 94,786 times
If your world comes to a complete halt on Race Weekend, if you can name the five hills, if you think snow is evidence of the sky falling, and if you forget that your 4x4 does not enable you to safely drive 65MPH in the snow, you're probably very Richmond.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:31 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
Someone correct me if I am wrong or if the ratings have changed or if Ukrops is not a grocery store. I don't remember ever seeing one and I have been through Richmond several times.
It's not a grocery store, it's a way of life.
They're mostly around in the suburbs with one in Cary Town.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:32 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,533 times
There's also one at Harrison and Grace near VCU, though it's one of their smaller stores. Ukrop's also has locations in Roanoke (1), Fredericksburg (1), Williamsburg (2), and Petersburg (1). Great store... I wish they could expand the Carytown location but CVS wouldn't budge even though there is one DIRECTLY across the street!

Old 08-03-2007, 06:51 AM

54 posts, read 198,287 times
Ahhhh.....I'm moving away....I'll miss Ukrops and their mac and cheese, great salad bar, chefs specials, deli and fried chicken.....their sushi is even decent.

Kroger has even opened a few stores that mirror what Ukrops have done, they did okay in Chester, but there is only one Ukrops.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:11 AM

54 posts, read 198,287 times
Thumbs up Richmonder

Oh and for the thread:

When you don't mind sweating on Brown's Island as long as you have a cold beer. The Rocks are around the corner anyway, get on a tube and cool off!!

No matter how The Diamond 'could look better' its still a good time. And the Braves are kicking it this season.

You're used to the smells (tobacco, paper mill) you pass on 95 everytime you go into Richmond. You smell it, but its not that bad.

You've tripped on the cobblestones of Shockoe Slip (a visit to a pub didn't help).

You've waited in line and payed a measley $1.99 to see a classic movie at the famous Byrd.

Enjoyed a summer day on a blanket at Maymont.

Seen the graves of supposed 'vampires' at Hollywood cemetary.

I'll be back to visit Richmond!!!

Old 08-05-2007, 11:35 PM

6 posts, read 30,552 times
At first I was insulted but I remember doing ALL those things.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:31 AM

3,867 posts, read 4,079,169 times
You actually stay here after living in this place for almost 2 years!

Old 08-08-2007, 09:19 PM

8 posts, read 25,799 times
Default I love listening to this....

This is a great dialogue! We are moving to Richmond in 2-3 weeks from Montana and this dialogue has been the best to read and learn. So...

How the heck do you pronounce Powhite?

How Southern are the real folks of Richmond? My childhood was spent partly in western Alabama...

Any of you know the Private Stock Cigar and Wine stores?

When others rag on Richmond and say it's "dirty" etc., is it really? Or are they just people that perceive negativity in things anywhere? Surely some parts of town are better than others, as they are anywhere. As they are in Montana.

And does anyone know the Squire Hill Apartments on Lamplighter? How far is that from Forest Hill Ave?

I appreciate any answers to help us out. Richmondpics has already been cool and informative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond