Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 08:03 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,526,923 times

Advertisements

So does Richmond feel more southern than the Raleigh area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 08:20 PM

53 posts, read 371,657 times
That was really funny and informative. That kind of info. might make it easier for a native Southern Californian to blend in.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:30 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,324,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
That's a good question. I haven't spent a lengthy amount of time in the Raleigh area, but I'd be curious as to what others think.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:14 PM

102 posts, read 406,509 times
That actually is refreshing to hear. I come from the west coast and can't wait to start the 'slowing down' process. So much here is fast paced, and the suburbanites can't wait for you to 'git outta' tha way' or they'll run you over with their big truck syndrome.
I am really looking forward to moving to Richmond.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:27 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,324,193 times
Keep us updated on your cross-country move. Richmond has big city amenities but with a smaller city feel. Thus, you've got most of what you would ever need, and it comes at a slower pace than other places I've been.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:32 AM

1,489 posts, read 8,804,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
I would say so. Richmond is more like the Old South. Raleigh has more of New South feel. At least to me.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Definitely not like NOVA or NC, but it's harder and harder to find that old Richmond accent and when people hear "You live in the West End" they think of Henrico and not Richmond.
Considering what the city was like 20 years ago I think that they were fading away back then. I really believe the latest round of Yankee city folk is helping bring back parts of the city. I know if they had those lofts available along the James my wife and I would have grabbed one in a NY minute. I'm glad that the city is coming back and wish Henrico had slowed down in it's growth.
Thats true. I'm only in my 20s, but my Richmond parents always called The Fan the West End (They said only Real Estate Agents called it "The Fan"). So I still say The Fan, but also 'The West End' and people think I mean Short Pump, lol.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:10 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,159,488 times
When I showed my NY friends pictures of Short Pump circa 1986 and told them that's where I was moving they laughed. There was the Short Pump Grocery, the Christmas store, Richardson's, SP Exhaust, SP Transmission and of course Downtown Short Pump. Now that Broad and Pouncy tract is about as bad traffic wise as any place on Long Island. I miss those places but I'll admit I do enjoy the mall an awful lot.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
When I showed my NY friends pictures of Short Pump circa 1986 and told them that's where I was moving they laughed. There was the Short Pump Grocery, the Christmas store, Richardson's, SP Exhaust, SP Transmission and of course Downtown Short Pump. Now that Broad and Pouncy tract is about as bad traffic wise as any place on Long Island. I miss those places but I'll admit I do enjoy the mall an awful lot.
Well, as bad as Extreme West End Richmond has gotten, its nowhere near traffic like Northern Virginia where folks sit for 2 hours just to get 30 miles down the road.

Short Pump area depresses me a little because it reminds me of Fairfax county. Its very artificial. But I do kinda like the mall myself. Its nice just because its outdoors and you can walk around.

Im playing at the Daily Grind there on the 29th.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:34 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,159,488 times
I still find it funny how high end that area is, but I still remember the guy who sold chicken manure from his house on Broad. Can't get more real than that.

I think that the big appeal of the mall is that it's really nice to walk around, people watch and grab a bite to eat. They did a pretty nice job laying out the place.

What time are you playing there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond