Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 06:09 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times

Advertisements

Believe or not jp03..not everyone from NY thinks that it's a horrible place that's not worth staying in and that the south is upotia and where everyone should move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 06:38 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
You gotta be kidding ........
I'm beginning to honestly believe there are people who move from NYS for all the same old reasons and discover where they landed is no better and even worse so they make a habit of continually bashing NY in order to solidify in their own minds the feeling that leaving NY was a good thing and not a monumental mistake.....is there any other explanation for the naysayers that pop up in here whenever one of we natives praise NYS????? Wow, I guess if the grass IS truly greener elsewhere (for "argument" sake, let's say ---hmmmm- N.C. LOL) you'd think they'd be out rolling in it instead of chasing around posters who, in spite of taxes and winters and etc-etc-etc, still LOVE NY!!!!!!

Old 06-25-2007, 06:51 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Don't feel badly; we have the same problem here in Pennsylvania as well. So many of our bright young minds left as twenty-somethings in pursuit of "greener pastures" and to chase fictitious six-figure salaries and a better quality of life in other areas only to discover that their newfound homes weren't quite so appealing. Now, a lot of them are experiencing cognitive dissonance in that they have to continually put their former area down from afar in order to "validate" their decision to flee. We have quite a few Scranton naysayers on the internet who live hundreds of miles away; they apparently can't handle the fact that we're finally rebounding, and they're not going to be around to be a part of it. Well, tough cookies! You all should have "rode out the storm" like the rest of us in order to reap the fruits from the seeds that were sown by us.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:05 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,155,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
I'm beginning to honestly believe there are people who move from NYS for all the same old reasons and discover where they landed is no better and even worse so they make a habit of continually bashing NY in order to solidify in their own minds the feeling that leaving NY was a good thing and not a monumental mistake.....is there any other explanation for the naysayers that pop up in here whenever one of we natives praise NYS????? Wow, I guess if the grass IS truly greener elsewhere (for "argument" sake, let's say ---hmmmm- N.C. LOL) you'd think they'd be out rolling in it instead of chasing around posters who, in spite of taxes and winters and etc-etc-etc, still LOVE NY!!!!!!
I REPEAT "you GOTTA be kidding"

Old 06-25-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Don't feel badly; we have the same problem here in Pennsylvania as well. So many of our bright young minds left as twenty-somethings in pursuit of "greener pastures" and to chase fictitious six-figure salaries and a better quality of life in other areas only to discover that their newfound homes weren't quite so appealing. Now, a lot of them are experiencing cognitive dissonance in that they have to continually put their former area down from afar in order to "validate" their decision to flee. We have quite a few Scranton naysayers on the internet who live hundreds of miles away; they apparently can't handle the fact that we're finally rebounding, and they're not going to be around to be a part of it. Well, tough cookies! You all should have "rode out the storm" like the rest of us in order to reap the fruits from the seeds that were sown by us.
Beautifully put: They come looking for validation in THEIR decision only to be left wondering why everyone doesn't agree with them. If you left NY and you're happy then good for you but don't come in raining on our opinions of the same state! It all begins sounding like sour grapes after a while.....

Old 06-25-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I REPEAT "you GOTTA be kidding"
I have to ask, what Eureka, Utopian, Oz-like state did you move to that warrants your continual bashing of anything positive posted about NY?

Old 06-25-2007, 07:37 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
I have to ask, what Eureka, Utopian, Oz-like state did you move to that warrants your continual bashing of anything positive posted about NY?
My guess would be North Carolina. That seems to be the "New Florida."

Old 06-25-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xamsx View Post
Well, as I just poted in another thread - the winters are not as cold as many people think in Buffalo. The hardiness map puts the area at a 6 - same as St. Louis. The summers are spectacular. Imagine a place where you can go outside nearly every single day and "do stuff", even at high noon. That's Buffalo. The snow is over-rated; much of the time "Buffalo is getting snow" is being reported and it is in the snow belt to the south. I cannot tell you how many times I looked out my window when I lived in North Buffalo and wondered where all the snow that was falling in "Buffalo" was. The city does get snow. However it usually came in spurts from the snow-making machine; Lake Erie. If the winter was cold enough and Lake Erie froze (as it does most years) the snow maker was turned off. If Lake Erie does not freeze, all bets are off.

Buffalo has plenty of jobs - it has been enjoying more job growth lately. Here's a chart for Rochester and Buffalo through 2006 There are highs and lows for both areas. The local newspaper has been reporting 4% job growth per month the last few months in the Buffalo area. (Who knows if those numbers are true.) Depending on what your profession is, there is much growth in certain fields - finance, health, computers, etc. If you are unskilled labor, the days of a good living wage seem more difficult to come by here (as in most of the US).

As far as crime, Amherst, NY is always rated in the top 3 of the lowest crime "cities" in the US over 100,000 people. For a good size city Buffalo is quite safe.

Two reasons to move to Buffalo would be a low cost of living and glorious summer weather.

Family things to do: The park system is extensive and beautiful. Boating (water skiing, tubing, & jet skiing on Lake Erie is a lot of fun), fishing and other water activities are wonderful.
Ok..I must explain. I said my comment TO THIS QUOTE. To give the weather as a reason to move to buffalo IS COMICAL. Yea, the summers are great I do agree. However, from October to April, Buffalo has horrible weather and if you want to argue that then well, forget it. As for the many jobs, well I actually think that borders on ludicrous.

I moved to North Carolina and its good here. Not great mind you, but good. The weather is great from October to May and sucks in summertime. Jobs here are hard to come by like everywhere else, but the lifestyle is more tempered which helps. . My comment ONLY referred to that person trying to sell Buffalo as this great place. I have family up there..alot of it and I've seen what Buffalo offers. Its not a great place but not a terrible place either. I will say this ..if you have stable job and enjoy the cold, Buffalo is not a bad place to live at all and I honestly mean that.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:50 PM

639 posts, read 1,071,362 times
The thing that got me about xasmx's comments were the way he/she made the two things about Buffalo that do suck (the winters and the job situation) look like the best things about the place. I have a friend who graduated from UB and him and all his friends are now scattered around the country. You might be able to find some chart saying how great the job market is here, but there is no compelling economic reasons for things to change. To most Americans (not western New Yorkers) Buffalo is a cold, depressing place with high tax rates. This is not going to encourage companies to move their operations there. Ever. Get over it. Yes I know GEICO just put up a call center there, beating out the competition in Bombay, and there are isolated other examples, but the economic situation there has been the same since when oh 1960 or so? Erie county is losing population more rapidly than every other county in the state. In other words, it's not about New York, it's about Buffalo.

I know there are good things about Buffalo. Many. But the job situation isn't one of them.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis View Post
The thing that got me about xasmx's comments were the way he/she made the two things about Buffalo that do suck (the winters and the job situation) look like the best things about the place. I have a friend who graduated from UB and him and all his friends are now scattered around the country. You might be able to find some chart saying how great the job market is here, but there is no compelling economic reasons for things to change. To most Americans (not western New Yorkers) Buffalo is a cold, depressing place with high tax rates. This is not going to encourage companies to move their operations there. Ever. Get over it. Yes I know GEICO just put up a call center there, beating out the competition in Bombay, and there are isolated other examples, but the economic situation there has been the same since when oh 1960 or so? Erie county is losing population more rapidly than every other county in the state. In other words, it's not about New York, it's about Buffalo.

I know there are good things about Buffalo. Many. But the job situation isn't one of them.
Exactly! If you are going to pick good things about Buffalo, don't pick the weather and a supple job market! Buffalo has its value, and I for one will never question why someone would live there. But to say St. Louis and Buffalo have the same type winters..well "YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area