Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 09:55 AM

253 posts, read 1,275,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis View Post
To someone like me, guess what... the winters SUCK. Now if you grew up here, I'm sure it's natural. My friend who went to SUNY Buffalo, although he had to move out of the area, will only live in places like Boston or Chicago, because he needs the winter. To someone like that, your way of thinking is completely normal. The problem is, 90% of the country didn't grow up in this kind of situation. So when they hear this propaganda, even though I'm sure you believe it, they're just going to laugh. So if you want to convince your spouse or someone to move here, saying how lovely the winters here are is just not going to work. Pointing out that it averages 81 instead of 88 in July isn't really going to help any either. That's all I'm saying.
OK so instead of locking yourself in the house all winter complaining about how horrible it is, this is what you do: You know all those ads you hear all during the fall for ski shops and suchandsuch motorsports. Why not get into some type of winter activity so you have something to look forward to like a lot of people here do. Snowmobiling, skiing, snowboarding. Learn to ice skate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 10:44 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,595,306 times
but...then they wouldn't have a reason to complain!

Old 06-26-2007, 11:32 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,168,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
yes, talk in January....when it's a low in the 20's here and high in the 30's or 40's, cloudy, everything dead and brown, with either no precipitation or cold rain.....the temperatures in WNY probably wouldn't be TOO far off from that, and yes they would have more snow. Personally I prefer snow to the cold rain. AND when we do get that annual 2-3 "snow storms" that typically produce no more than 3 inches of snow at a time....Raleigh will SHUT down school will be closed and then schedule make up days durring spring break, there will be a 12 hour gridlock (if you think I'm exaggerating, consider January of '05 when .7 of an inch fell and caused a 12 hour gridlock in which people had to spend the nights in their cars on the highway)...meanwhile people in Rochester will be living ther day to day lives normally and actually looking forward to summer isntead of dreading it like we do here in good 'ole North Kakilaki.....only thing is I'm going up to Rochester in a week to look at houses......POOR ME!!!! I'm going to have to "endure" my prison senance of living in Upstate NY, and never enjoy being outside ever again. How will myself and my family cope?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh relax man..you're giving me a headache. You win, Buffalo is great North Carolina sucks......ok?

Old 06-26-2007, 11:34 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,168,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_mouse View Post
OK so instead of locking yourself in the house all winter complaining about how horrible it is, this is what you do: You know all those ads you hear all during the fall for ski shops and suchandsuch motorsports. Why not get into some type of winter activity so you have something to look forward to like a lot of people here do. Snowmobiling, skiing, snowboarding. Learn to ice skate.
I'd rather have an enema than do that stuff.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:35 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,080,045 times
Quote:
Guess what... I live in Buffalo now. Today it's supposed to be around 90 with high humidity. By Thursday it should get better. Unfortunately I have to go out of town on Friday. I just don't see this scenario as wonderful.

No, I'm not always this hostile. I was forced by my job situation to relocate to Buffalo, while I spent my first 22 years in places where it never snows. To someone like me, guess what... the winters SUCK. Now if you grew up here, I'm sure it's natural. My friend who went to SUNY Buffalo, although he had to move out of the area, will only live in places like Boston or Chicago, because he needs the winter. To someone like that, your way of thinking is completely normal. The problem is, 90% of the country didn't grow up in this kind of situation. So when they hear this propaganda, even though I'm sure you believe it, they're just going to laugh. So if you want to convince your spouse or someone to move here, saying how lovely the winters here are is just not going to work. Pointing out that it averages 81 instead of 88 in July isn't really going to help any either. That's all I'm saying.
So sorry for you; your dislike for Buffalo is palpable so your bubble-bursting approach is understandable....did someone sell you a bill of goods concerning the weather prior to your move or are you a graduate of Buffalo's college group that never left? Keep in mind, that no one should depend on total strangers in an Internet forum when making the monumental decision to move themselves and family to a new location. And as for our winters, I think it's fairly well known it snows here: some years not so much, other years, way too much even for us lifers! I say you should adhere to that old saying "Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear" because of course people are going to project the positives of their location and downplay the negatives. That's human nature; no one wants to admit they live in someone else's idea of S***ville, USA right? But Buffalo has fabulous weather --- sometimes; Rochester has fabulous weather also sometimes. It's just that the swing is so drastic that if moderate is what you're seeking, then the four seasons of the NE is not for you....

Last edited by Fallingwater79; 06-26-2007 at 11:44 AM..

Old 06-26-2007, 11:41 AM

103 posts, read 654,184 times
Quote:
No, I'm not always this hostile. I was forced by my job situation to relocate to Buffalo, while I spent my first 22 years in places where it never snows. To someone like me, guess what... the winters SUCK.
I think any winter might be a bit of a shock in your situation. If you truly hate cold and snow so much, a job search in a warmer climate might produce a job that would make you happy.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:32 PM

639 posts, read 1,072,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
So sorry for you; your dislike for Buffalo is palpable so your bubble-bursting approach is understandable....did someone sell you a bill of goods concerning the weather prior to your move or are you a graduate of Buffalo's college group that never left? Keep in mind, that no one should depend on total strangers in an Internet forum when making the monumental decision to move themselves and family to a new location. And as for our winters, I think it's fairly well known it snows here: some years not so much, other years, way too much even for us lifers! I say you should adhere to that old saying "Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear" because of course people are going to project the positives of their location and downplay the negatives. That's human nature; no one wants to admit they live in someone else's idea of S***ville, USA right? But Buffalo has fabulous weather --- sometimes; Rochester has fabulous weather also sometimes. It's just that the swing is so drastic that if moderate is what you're seeking, then the four seasons of the NE is not for you....
No, I'm in a profession where it's notoriously hard to find a job. I was actually really devastated when the Buffalo position was the only one available. I had no illusions, I assure you. I'm actually trying to get out, but it isn't easy in my line of work. I don't really hate Buffalo. In fact, I'd have nothing at all against it if I didn't have to choose between living here and switching careers. It just is frustrating because it is taking so long, so I vent on these anonymous boards. Imagine if I said this kind of stuff at the office :-)

Old 06-26-2007, 12:35 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,902,196 times
Quote:
Pointing out that it averages 81 instead of 88 in July isn't really going to help any either. That's all I'm saying.
I was just responding to the idea that you can compare summers in Raleigh with summers in Rochester which someone brought up earlier in the thread. In my mind, based on the data, they are not that comparable. To me, that difference in averages is the difference between a decent summer and a miserable one. I think you got confused. I didn't post with intent of convincing people move here either way. Definitely didn't say anything about the winter. I was just responding to someone else's random thought.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:55 PM

103 posts, read 654,184 times
Genghis, I do not mean to pick on you, but I cannot help but point to a certain irony in your job situation. On the one hand you state the job situation in Buffalo is iffy at best and yet you moved here due to a job you could not get anywhere else in the country.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:07 PM

639 posts, read 1,072,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xamsx View Post
Genghis, I do not mean to pick on you, but I cannot help but point to a certain irony in your job situation. On the one hand you state the job situation in Buffalo is iffy at best and yet you moved here due to a job you could not get anywhere else in the country.
Yes, but it is true. It is like the biggest irony in the world. And I really like my job too. I'd prefer not to reveal too much personal info, but if I told you what I did you'd understand. They don't hire much locally, so it doesn't really help the college grads in the area. But yes, my friends here think I'm all set. All I have to do is learn to enjoy snowboarding or ice fishing or igloo building or...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area