Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 07:06 AM

203 posts, read 852,640 times

Advertisements

To the original poster: my mom lives in West Frankfort, are you familiar with it? So. Illinois is nice in its own way, but I could never live there. I would say Albany is more expensive than the other three because it's an easy train ride to NYC. I would say Syracuse is on par with the other two though in cost of living and sits between ski slopes to the south and the lake to the north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 07:22 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,155,658 times
Ok..my last post. If you hate cold, N.C. is for you. If you hate hot, move to Buffalo, but make sure you have a stable job first. My whole reason for being in this thread was because there are people spinning Buffalo here for more than it is. That is totally not fair to a potential relocator. If the comment had been "we have cold, long winters but our summers are great and jobs here are around but hard to come by" well I never would have posted. Instead we have a people protecting their city blindly with no regard to the truth. That would be like me saying "The winters and spring here in N.C.are glorious and don't worry about the summers, its not that hot and you get used to it" That would be a half truth. The winter and spring are amazing but the summer is toooo hot. Now that gives a potential relocator a proper perspective.

The weather there is a reason for moving to Buffalo???? I end this post with my original thread " ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! "

Old 06-26-2007, 07:57 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
Today, 6/26 7AM, 79 degrees and heading for the 90s with stagnant air warnings...there goes my plans to paint, garden, take the dog for a nice morning walk....hmmmmm....I'm stuck in the house with the AC on (which I hate) WATCHING the weather instead of FEELING it.
Well, I think a day like today though is an exception rather than the rule. A few days like that, I'll find someway to deal.

Looking at the ten day forecast for Rochester, after today, it is goregous. Mid 70s-low 80s.

Now for Raleigh, it is mid to upper 80s for the entire week, ie, the beginning of too hot for me. Looking at the averages, average high temp for July is 88 for Raleigh. It is 81 for Rochester. That is a good enough difference for me.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:29 AM

639 posts, read 1,071,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
Well, I think a day like today though is an exception rather than the rule. A few days like that, I'll find someway to deal.

Looking at the ten day forecast for Rochester, after today, it is goregous. Mid 70s-low 80s.

Now for Raleigh, it is mid to upper 80s for the entire week, ie, the beginning of too hot for me. Looking at the averages, average high temp for July is 88 for Raleigh. It is 81 for Rochester. That is a good enough difference for me.
All of 7 degrees. Wow. You get more variation within a single day than that. In February Rochester has an average high of 32 with 23 inches of snow, while Raleigh it's 53 with two inches. Kind of a more noticable difference, don't you think?

Give it up, stop trying to sell the upstate weather. You're only embarassing yourself

Anyhow I'm going follow jp03's lead and stop arguing this, I think I've said all I can.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:48 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis View Post
All of 7 degrees. Wow. You get more variation within a single day than that. In February Rochester has an average high of 32 with 23 inches of snow, while Raleigh it's 53 with two inches. Kind of a more noticable difference, don't you think?
The 7 degrees make all the difference. You can say average temperature in July is 81, so to find out what it is like most of the summer, you would +/-5 degrees. Naturally, this is only a rough guide. So, you would say that most of the time, the predictable maximum would be 86 and the predictable minimum would be 76. For me that is fine and dandy for the summer. For Raleigh, you would say 93 for maximum and 83 for minimum. That is just too a** hot on a regular basis. Forget it.

Who was talking about winter? I wasn't.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:14 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis View Post

Give it up, stop trying to sell the upstate weather. You're only embarassing yourself

Anyhow I'm going follow jp03's lead and stop arguing this, I think I've said all I can.

Wow Genghis are you always this hostile? Are you at all aware of the fact that some people LOVEEEE upstate weather and you're basically calling them liars? Here's 2 cases for instance: my entire AZ based cousins (prior to that was Canoga Pk CA; prior to that Rochester) moved BACK to Rochester over the last 3 years and I (being gun-shy because people like you constantly tell me I live in the armpit of the weather world) ask them over and over: "ARE YOU NUTS???? Arizona the land of perfect weather and you left?????" They really got sick of the heat heat heat 12 months of the year and no variation...we did not kidnap them and MAKE them come back here LOL PS..They love it here and will never leave again

Case 2: friend moves to Myrtle Beach...back in 3 years: nice winters sure; summers, absolutely horrific, cost of living? skyrocketing, and the snakes and bugs freaked out the his wife so bad she was housebound......they moved back this spring to ***gasp*** NY

So really, it's all relative and for you to browbeat people because YOU hated the weather is a bit tiring for sure...So when you're sweating it out in the land of Oz over the next few weeks think of us poor NYers: our forecast: 70s-80s, no humidity and sunny well inot next week......heavenly

Last edited by Fallingwater79; 06-26-2007 at 09:25 AM..

Old 06-26-2007, 09:24 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,155,658 times
Quote:
Wow Genghis are you always this hostile? Are you at all aware of the fact that some people LOVEEEE upstate weather and you're basically calling them liars? Here's 2 cases for instance: my entire AZ based cousins (prior to that was Canoga Pk CA; prior to that Rochester) moved BACK to Rochester over the last 3 years and I (being gun-shy because people like you constantly tell me I live in the armpit of the weather world) ask them over and over: "ARE YOU NUTS???? Arizona the land of perfect weather and you left?????" They really got sick of the heat heat heat 12 months of the year and no variation...we did not kidnap them and MAKE them come back here LOL PS..They love it here and will never leave again

Case 2: friend moves to Myrtle Beach...back in 3 years: nice winters sure; summers, absolutely horrific, cost of living? skyrocketing, and the snakes and bugs freaked out the his wife so bad she was housebound......they moved back this spring to ***gasp*** NY

So really, it's all relative and for you to browbeat people because YOU hated the weather is a bit tiring for sure...So when you're sweating it out in the land of Oz over the next few weeks think of us poor NYers: our forecast: 75-80, no humidity and sunny well inot next week......heavenly

Lets talk in January....

Old 06-26-2007, 09:37 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
yes, talk in January....when it's a low in the 20's here and high in the 30's or 40's, cloudy, everything dead and brown, with either no precipitation or cold rain.....the temperatures in WNY probably wouldn't be TOO far off from that, and yes they would have more snow. Personally I prefer snow to the cold rain. AND when we do get that annual 2-3 "snow storms" that typically produce no more than 3 inches of snow at a time....Raleigh will SHUT down school will be closed and then schedule make up days durring spring break, there will be a 12 hour gridlock (if you think I'm exaggerating, consider January of '05 when .7 of an inch fell and caused a 12 hour gridlock in which people had to spend the nights in their cars on the highway)...meanwhile people in Rochester will be living ther day to day lives normally and actually looking forward to summer isntead of dreading it like we do here in good 'ole North Kakilaki.....only thing is I'm going up to Rochester in a week to look at houses......POOR ME!!!! I'm going to have to "endure" my prison senance of living in Upstate NY, and never enjoy being outside ever again. How will myself and my family cope?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Old 06-26-2007, 09:42 AM

639 posts, read 1,071,362 times
Quote:

So really, it's all relative and for you to browbeat people because YOU hated the weather is a bit tiring for sure...So when you're sweating it out in the land of Oz over the next few weeks think of us poor NYers: our forecast: 70s-80s, no humidity and sunny well inot next week......heavenly
Guess what... I live in Buffalo now. Today it's supposed to be around 90 with high humidity. By Thursday it should get better. Unfortunately I have to go out of town on Friday. I just don't see this scenario as wonderful.

No, I'm not always this hostile. I was forced by my job situation to relocate to Buffalo, while I spent my first 22 years in places where it never snows. To someone like me, guess what... the winters SUCK. Now if you grew up here, I'm sure it's natural. My friend who went to SUNY Buffalo, although he had to move out of the area, will only live in places like Boston or Chicago, because he needs the winter. To someone like that, your way of thinking is completely normal. The problem is, 90% of the country didn't grow up in this kind of situation. So when they hear this propaganda, even though I'm sure you believe it, they're just going to laugh. So if you want to convince your spouse or someone to move here, saying how lovely the winters here are is just not going to work. Pointing out that it averages 81 instead of 88 in July isn't really going to help any either. That's all I'm saying.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:53 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
90% of the country grew up in the "sunbelt"? I'm pretty sure the Northeast and Great Lakes regions of the country account for over half of the nation's population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area