Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 10:20 AM

5,673 posts, read 4,081,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I'm aware of the major roads that pass through the Village of Pittsford. What I don't quite understand is what you're suggesting that needs to be done, traffic wise. The Village, in short, is a "bottleneck", as those major roads all either converge or pass through that small area. BUT, these weren't exactly major roads until the late 1950s, long after Pittsford came into being.

Like many "small towns" of the past, you have commercial buildings, then a 6-8' sidewalk, then the street, with vehicular parking, followed by one lane of traffic. The opposite side of the street is a carbon copy. In order to increase traffic flow, I suppose, at least through the "village proper", you could eliminate the "on street parking", HOWEVER, where would patrons of the stores/restaurants park? As it is, there's insufficient parking.

Heading either north or east, as you leave the village, you have bridges over the Erie Canal. They're only 2 lane bridges, so they also act as "bottlenecks", so no matter how you look at it, at least in my opinion, Monroe Avenue is going to remain a highly travelled, and heavily congested area. The Whole Foods store most likely could have been placed in a better spot.

I'm not a DOT engineer, so I don't have all the answers. All I do know is there are much more congested areas than this in other cities. How did they handle it, or just accept it? One thing I know is that when rebuilding roads, they are expecting what is called a "complete street", meaning, sidewalks and bike lanes. There does seem to be places where the on street parking could be replaced, maybe with a small ramp garage.

Maybe the answer is actually increasing the population of the village. There are plenty of opportunities for work and shopping. Maybe people could get rid of their car altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 10:23 AM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I'm not a DOT engineer, so I don't have all the answers. All I do know is there are much more congested areas than this in other cities. How did they handle it, or just accept it? One thing I know is that when rebuilding roads, they are expecting what is called a "complete street", meaning, sidewalks and bike lanes. There does seem to be places where the on street parking could be replaced, maybe with a small ramp garage.

Maybe the answer is actually increasing the population of the village. There are plenty of opportunities for work and shopping. Maybe people could get rid of their car altogether.

I'm not a DOT engineer, either, but something I heard on the TV news, last week I found interesting. It seems that the Village of Pittsford, in it's entirety, is a "Historical Preservation District". Therefore, in short, NOTHING is going to change, with respect to traffic congestion, because nothing can be changed, that will address the situation.

Old 10-16-2019, 01:28 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I'm not a DOT engineer, either, but something I heard on the TV news, last week I found interesting. It seems that the Village of Pittsford, in it's entirety, is a "Historical Preservation District". Therefore, in short, NOTHING is going to change, with respect to traffic congestion, because nothing can be changed, that will address the situation.
I mean the Village of Pittsford is tiny, no? The TOWN of Pittsford can't all be a historical preservation district considering how newer suburban in character it is. Monroe Avenue could conceivably be widened between the village boundaries and the Brighton border. Our hotel was right on Monroe Avenue near the Brighton/Pittsford line. We didn't experience traffic congestion along Monroe Avenue that we'd consider to be out of the ordinary for a metro area the size of Rochester.

Old 10-18-2019, 12:11 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I mean the Village of Pittsford is tiny, no? The TOWN of Pittsford can't all be a historical preservation district considering how newer suburban in character it is. Monroe Avenue could conceivably be widened between the village boundaries and the Brighton border. Our hotel was right on Monroe Avenue near the Brighton/Pittsford line. We didn't experience traffic congestion along Monroe Avenue that we'd consider to be out of the ordinary for a metro area the size of Rochester.

I don't understand why anyone would bring up traffic along there.

Don't shop at peak times.

Don't shop during peak times during the holidays.

Other than those times described above, the traffic through there is never bad.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:20 AM

As a quick aside after shopping at the Pittsford Wegmans during our vacation in Rochester I can't see why any of you would even WANT a Whole Foods. We have several Whole Foods locations in/around Pittsburgh. I'd trade all of them to you for your Pittsford Wegmans!

Old 10-20-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
As a quick aside after shopping at the Pittsford Wegmans during our vacation in Rochester I can't see why any of you would even WANT a Whole Foods. We have several Whole Foods locations in/around Pittsburgh. I'd trade all of them to you for your Pittsford Wegmans!

I've never been in a Whole Foods store, but I know they are smaller, so can't possibly have the selection that Wegmans has. They are owned by Amazon, so they do have deep pockets. I think they will do well in that location, but barely cut into Wegmans success. Trader Joes is right in Pittsford Plaza, also. Unfortunately, I understand that Whole Foods isn't doing well in Buffalo, though.

Yes, you would think that Wegmans would want to put some stores in the Pittsburg region. If they did, they would probably be looking towards the more affluent suburbs. Not being familiar with Pittsburg, where would that be, or where do you suggest?

Old 10-20-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I've never been in a Whole Foods store, but I know they are smaller, so can't possibly have the selection that Wegmans has. They are owned by Amazon, so they do have deep pockets. I think they will do well in that location, but barely cut into Wegmans success. Trader Joes is right in Pittsford Plaza, also. Unfortunately, I understand that Whole Foods isn't doing well in Buffalo, though.

Yes, you would think that Wegmans would want to put some stores in the Pittsburg region. If they did, they would probably be looking towards the more affluent suburbs. Not being familiar with Pittsburg, where would that be, or where do you suggest?
A bit off-topic, but Wegmans should build their first store in the affluent Northern suburbs of Pittsburgh in a place like Wexford or McCandless. There are already locations of Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, Market District (our regional grocery chain of Giant Eagle’s upscale brand), and Costco in the northern suburbs; however, there are tens of thousands of six-figure-earning households in that area. Wegmans would have no trouble competing. It’s also possible that there could be more WNY transplants in the northern suburbs of Pittsburgh, too, since it is closer to WNY; some of those people might be brand loyal to Wegmans having grown up with them.

In any event the Pittsford Wegmans was also the nicest Wegmans I’ve ever been in, and I’ve been in almost a dozen between NY, PA, and VA over the years.

So, yes, Whole Foods could and should open a Rochester location along Monroe Avenue, but I don’t think locals should expect to be “wowed” by Whole Foods if they’ve already been to the Pittsford Wegmans. We have three Whole Foods in/around Pittsburgh. I’d trade them all for ONE Wegmans.

Old 10-20-2019, 11:57 AM

93,177 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Just curious, but would you say in terms of pricing, that Whole Foods is on par with Wegmans or perhaps more expensive? I ask because I haven’t been to Whole Foods, but have heard of it as being referred to as Whole Paycheck and some say that Wegmans can also be relatively expensive. On a side note, I think that Tops is more expensive than Wegmans in regards to prices for many items.

Old 10-20-2019, 03:34 PM

558 posts, read 299,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just curious, but would you say in terms of pricing, that Whole Foods is on par with Wegmans or perhaps more expensive? I ask because I haven’t been to Whole Foods, but have heard of it as being referred to as Whole Paycheck and some say that Wegmans can also be relatively expensive. On a side note, I think that Tops is more expensive than Wegmans in regards to prices for many items.
Since Amazon took over, Whole Finds pricing has come down quite a bit. They also do a lot of special discounts for Prime customers. Still, it isn't cheap overall.

Wegmans in my experience offers nothing like the discounts WF offers. I used to bring my Wegman's card shopping there until I realized that there weren't any discounts using it. That said, I always found Wegmans very competitive compared to Tops.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:36 AM

Construction at the plaza underway.

https://www.rochesterfirst.com/news/local-news/early-building-underway-at-site-of-planned-brighton-whole-foods/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area