Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 10:31 AM

5,743 posts, read 4,120,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

As for the other post, they are still higher than many developed nations. I'll stop there...
Yes, they WERE LOWERED considerably. Did you, ckhthankgod, want them lowered more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2021, 10:50 AM

93,620 posts, read 124,349,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Please explain
It is self explanatory. Developers get subsidies for many developments and this has been posted many times on this forum.

Old 10-26-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Market rate, or not, the rents don't come close to paying the $285,000 per unit cost. Who pays THAT?
Where are you getting that number? I'm asking because it is a 157 unit community.

Old 10-26-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Where are you getting that number? I'm asking because it is a 157 unit community.
From the Rochester Business Journal. The same source as you. Cost was $44.8 million. Do the math. This is in line with other "affordable" apartments built in the region. Waaay more than it would cost if it was a private development, partially due to nys laws, like prevailing wage and scaffold laws

Old 10-26-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
It is self explanatory. Developers get subsidies for many developments and this has been posted many times on this forum.
No, it is not self explanitory. Where is the proof of your claim?

Sure, it has been posted many times by YOU. You're starting to sound like fakebook with your "this has been posted before"

Old 10-26-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
No, it is not self explanitory. Where is the proof of your claim?

Sure, it has been posted many times by YOU. You're starting to sound like fakebook with your "this has been posted before"
No, this has been posted many times before when I post development information and many times that is when you come in having an issue with subsidies and tax breaks. Yes, it has been done many times before, ad nauseum on this forum for years and by many posters.

Old 10-26-2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
From the Rochester Business Journal. The same source as you. Cost was $44.8 million. Do the math. This is in line with other "affordable" apartments built in the region. Waaay more than it would cost if it was a private development, partially due to nys laws, like prevailing wage and scaffold laws
It is a private developer building relatively affordable housing for seniors. All development ends up costing more due to breaks and subsidies.

I only posted a snippet of the article, not the whole RBJ article. So, you may have to post that information.

More from the developer, which has other projects in the area: https://christa.com/project/

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-26-2021 at 11:55 AM..

Old 10-26-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
It is a private developer building relatively affordable housing for seniors. All development ends up costing more due to breaks and subsidies.

I only posted a snippet of the article, not the whole RBJ article. So, you may have to post that information.

More from the developer, which has other projects in the area: https://christa.com/project/
I got the data from the print addition, so I don't have the link, but as I said, it is in line with other projects like that, and I have commented on them too. I don't have on line access.

Crista is the builder. It's a Pathstone project, and they specialize in subsidized housing.

Since you can't provide any links, all while saying they are numerous, I will just ignore the comment. I don't know what it's like in Syracuse, but when a developer builds their project in Rochester, THEY build the roads, sewers and other utilities. Not only that, but in many suburbs, the developer is mandated to leave some of the plot undeveloped, and/ or install a pond. They also are forced to contribute to town parks and recreation for every unit they develop. AFTER the project is complete, the developer then dedicates the streets and utilities to the municipality.

I see no subsidies here. Just the opposite.

Old 10-26-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I got the data from the print addition, so I don't have the link, but as I said, it is in line with other projects like that, and I have commented on them too. I don't have on line access.

Crista is the builder. It's a Pathstone project, and they specialize in subsidized housing.

Since you can't provide any links, all while saying they are numerous, I will just ignore the comment. I don't know what it's like in Syracuse, but when a developer builds their project in Rochester, THEY build the roads, sewers and other utilities. Not only that, but in many suburbs, the developer is mandated to leave some of the plot undeveloped, and/ or install a pond. They also are forced to contribute to town parks and recreation for every unit they develop. AFTER the project is complete, the developer then dedicates the streets and utilities to the municipality.

I see no subsidies here. Just the opposite.
You’ve never seen where developers get tax breaks for housing developments on any articles posted on here? I guess this is fake: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.syr...outputType=amp

Another one: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.syr...outputType=amp

I’m sure if you look, you can find similar examples of this even in Rochester.

Of course senior housing is going to be subsidized, given that they are on a fixed income.

Also, can you at least type in the print information you have?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-26-2021 at 01:00 PM..

Old 10-26-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
You’ve never seen where developers get tax breaks for housing developments on any articles posted on here? I guess this is fake: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.syr...outputType=amp

I’m sure if you look, you can find similar examples of this even in Rochester.

Of course senior housing is going to be subsidized, given that they are on a fixed income.

Also, can you at least type in the print information you have?
Historic tax credits and all cities have incentives to encourage development. Would you think it wise to leave money on they table that is being offered? That would be foolish. The developers competitors will take advantage. BTW, it costs more to restore a building, than to tear down and build new. So, in your case, they need to recruit developers by dangling a carrot.

Nice dodge, but you didn't make your point

It's a lengthy article. I reported what was important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area