Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2023, 12:46 PM

5,685 posts, read 4,084,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Nice…How do you feel about the funding that was involved for the facility? https://www.whec.com/top-news/lithiu...-federal-loan/
What, you mean the LOAN?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2023, 01:49 PM

93,214 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
What, you mean the LOAN?
Yes, as there are still stipulations attached. Hence, the key word conditional in regards to the loan, as mentioned here: https://investors.li-cycle.com/news/...m/default.aspx

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-20-2023 at 02:01 PM..

Old 08-20-2023, 02:26 PM

6,416 posts, read 3,131,876 times
I have concerns.....maybe it's just me, but lately, whenever the Government gets involved in a "loan", especially when "green incentives" are involved, it turns into a fiasco.....

Old 08-20-2023, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Yes, as there are still stipulations attached. Hence, the key word conditional in regards to the loan, as mentioned here: https://investors.li-cycle.com/news/...m/default.aspx
A loan with conditions? Oh my. What loan doesn't?

Quite a difference comparing to the Tesla project in Buffalo, which was an outright gift, and they downsized the employee count twice which put the whole project into basic insignificance with $16/hr jobs. Oh yeah. Sold $200 million in equipment. Who got that money?

So, you see the difference? I've watched for decades as Buffalo companies were granted conditional tax breaks , only to see the government ignore it when they are not reached.

Old 08-21-2023, 06:34 AM

Quote:
A loan with conditions? Oh my. What loan doesn't?

Quite a difference comparing to the Tesla project in Buffalo, which was an outright gift, and they downsized the employee count twice which put the whole project into basic insignificance with $16/hr jobs. Oh yeah. Sold $200 million in equipment. Who got that money?

So, you see the difference? I've watched for decades as Buffalo companies were granted conditional tax breaks , only to see the government ignore it when they are not reached.
Tesla had criteria/conditions it had to meet as well. So, it isn’t much different and why I asked the question.

Most, if not all companies get some type of tax break. So, we would have to examine each company to make sure the criteria/conditions are met.

Old 08-21-2023, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Tesla had criteria/conditions it had to meet as well. So, it isn’t much different and why I asked the question.

Most, if not all companies get some type of tax break. So, we would have to examine each company to make sure the criteria/conditions are met.
Tesla didn't have a loan. It had a GIFT. And twice they revised the employee count down.

As I keep saying, lower the taxes so you don't need to give tax breaks.

Old 08-21-2023, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Tesla didn't have a loan. It had a GIFT. And twice they revised the employee count down.

As I keep saying, lower the taxes so you don't need to give tax breaks.
Technically, it was an incentive with conditions, in which, if they didn't meet them, they were to be penalized: https://driveteslacanada.ca/news/tes...0the%20process.

I actually agree, but people have to agree on how to lower taxes. With that said, even states with lower taxes, give a lot of incentives to companies as well. It is literally how the game is being played right now.

Old 08-21-2023, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Technically, it was an incentive with conditions, in which, if they didn't meet them, they were to be penalized: https://driveteslacanada.ca/news/tes...0the%20process.

I actually agree, but people have to agree on how to lower taxes. With that said, even states with lower taxes, give a lot of incentives to companies as well. It is literally how the game is being played right now.
It's just a stupid game that both sides play.

Welfare for people is balanced by welfare for the rich and business owners.

We are the losers as it adds to COL, especially TAXES.

That's why all our manufacturing was sent overseas.

That's why I'm against all the government crap.

Remember the country belongs to the people, not some Washington or Albany bureaucrat.

Old 08-21-2023, 09:37 AM

6,416 posts, read 3,131,876 times
Quote:
It's just a stupid game that both sides play.

Welfare for people is balanced by welfare for the rich and business owners.

We are the losers as it adds to COL, especially TAXES.

That's why all our manufacturing was sent overseas.

That's why I'm against all the government crap.

Remember the country belongs to the people, not some Washington or Albany bureaucrat.
Keep in mind, the EPA also had a major part in sending jobs elsewhere.....

Old 08-21-2023, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Keep in mind, the EPA also had a major part in sending jobs elsewhere.....
True. Kodak used to burn their waste until it became to costly due to regulations. Now it get's buried in the ground. How is that any better, other than it created a gigantic federal government department costing billions annually, and top tiers get politically appointed position's.

Back in the 50's and 60's there was pollution of the land, and it's good that that stopped. The modern green fanatics are way overboard and it doesn't take much research to see why. I wonder why when an electric car starts on fire, and the toxics are spread over hundreds of yards, that that area isn't fenced off as a toxic site?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area