Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 08:55 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,070 times

Advertisements

I really don't know where there is a good area of this place, at least within city limits, other than a square mile or so of the Park Ave area. Downtown is atrocious and embarrassing at best, and a "downtown" is what represents a city, not one or two nicer streets in an area. There's nothing here other than a museum and Dino BBQ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 09:22 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
I really don't know where there is a good area of this place, at least within city limits, other than a square mile or so of the Park Ave area. Downtown is atrocious and embarrassing at best, and a "downtown" is what represents a city, not one or two nicer streets in an area. There's nothing here other than a museum and Dino BBQ.

There are plenty of good areas that have been listed. You really don't get around the city much. You really need to walk around downtown more. There are sports stadiums, bars, restaurants, clubs, music venues. Take a trip in the East End at night. It is filled with people. Judging by your incorrect stereotype in a previous post, it sounds like you've never been there.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:29 AM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
There are plenty of good areas that have been listed. You really don't get around the city much. You really need to walk around downtown more. There are sports stadiums, bars, restaurants, clubs, music venues. Take a trip in the East End at night. It is filled with people. Judging by your incorrect stereotype in a previous post, it sounds like you've never been there.
I was going to say that the Southeastern quarter of the city offers quite a bit for those interested in a urban setting and want some things to do.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:21 PM

You obviously didn't understand what I meant when I said "downtown". I was talking about the grid of streets surrounded by tall buildings, not a bunch of drunks-filled bars lining Monroe Ave or East Ave that have $hitty parking arrangements consisting of dark parking lots or side streets. I'm talking about the area directly within the inner-loop and no further outside. No East and Alexander, no Monroe Ave, no Mt. Hope, none of that.

Sports stadiums? Really? How is Frontier field any sort of attraction? LMAO

What I'm talking about is the central business (or lack of business for that matter) district in the heart of downtown. There is NOTHING, it's a ghost town with the exception of Dino. I was in Charlotte NC for the first time last year, and I was amazed at the amount of life downtown had. Just walking along South Tryon St you could find almost anything you could be looking for. And then there was the amazing outdoor mall EpiCentre, probably the coolest outdoor city experience I have witnessed yet. Restaurants, shops, coffee houses, bagel shops, etc. Even had an outdoor stage on the roof where they hold free concerts! If Rochester needs to model itself after any downtown, Charlotte would be one of the top three. There is no reason we couldn't be a mini-Charlotte and have our own EpiCentre-type area. Here's a link to the website for it if you're at all interested in seeing what Rochester really needs, not just some lame and boring stretch of bars on Monroe Ave The EpiCentre | Charlotte, NC | Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Dining, and More...

In comparison, Rochester is beyond gloomy and boring and always will be until it makes it self up to date with modern times.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:47 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
Quote:
You obviously didn't understand what I meant when I said "downtown". I was talking about the grid of streets surrounded by tall buildings, not a bunch of drunks-filled bars lining Monroe Ave or East Ave that have $hitty parking arrangements consisting of dark parking lots or side streets. I'm talking about the area directly within the inner-loop and no further outside. No East and Alexander, no Monroe Ave, no Mt. Hope, none of that.

Sports stadiums? Really? How is Frontier field any sort of attraction? LMAO

What I'm talking about is the central business (or lack of business for that matter) district in the heart of downtown. There is NOTHING, it's a ghost town with the exception of Dino. I was in Charlotte NC for the first time last year, and I was amazed at the amount of life downtown had. Just walking along South Tryon St you could find almost anything you could be looking for. And then there was the amazing outdoor mall EpiCentre, probably the coolest outdoor city experience I have witnessed yet. Restaurants, shops, coffee houses, bagel shops, etc. Even had an outdoor stage on the roof where they hold free concerts! If Rochester needs to model itself after any downtown, Charlotte would be one of the top three. There is no reason we couldn't be a mini-Charlotte and have our own EpiCentre-type area. Here's a link to the website for it if you're at all interested in seeing what Rochester really needs, not just some lame and boring stretch of bars on Monroe Ave The EpiCentre | Charlotte, NC | Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Dining, and More...

In comparison, Rochester is beyond gloomy and boring and always will be until it makes it self up to date with modern times.

East end is very much part of downtown whether you like it or not. The area from A-street all the way to Chestnut has life. This area is surrounded by tall buildings and alleys, like the other parts of downtown. you can find restaurants, music venues, bars, clubs, galleries and interesting architecture.
Charlotte would be one of the last cities I'd model Rochester after. It is very bland, spread out and suburban like. It was one of the most boring cities I've ever been to. No identity and nothing unique about it.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:17 PM

Yeah you're right, a city with new and modern construction and progressive thinking is definitely something this $hithole shouldn't mirror, who would want Rochester to appear as a forward thinking and up-to-date city! So you're saying that the BofA building, the Marriot City Center, the new Duke Energy building, and numerous other structures are bland? From my eyes I saw a perfect mix of traditional and modern architecture, something for all eyes to cherish. If you think their skyline is bland and Rochester is something to admire, you need to lay off the LSD my friend. We have the B&L building, the only modern structure in the entire city. It sticks out like a sore thumb amidst the dated Xerox tower and the outdated but still kind of interesting Chase tower. And the HSBC building is nothing to stare at either. It's even worse on the inside.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Yeah you're right, a city with new and modern construction and progressive thinking is definitely something this $hithole shouldn't mirror, who would want Rochester to appear as a forward thinking and up-to-date city! So you're saying that the BofA building, the Marriot City Center, the new Duke Energy building, and numerous other structures are bland? From my eyes I saw a perfect mix of traditional and modern architecture, something for all eyes to cherish. If you think their skyline is bland and Rochester is something to admire, you need to lay off the LSD my friend. We have the B&L building, the only modern structure in the entire city. It sticks out like a sore thumb amidst the dated Xerox tower and the outdated but still kind of interesting Chase tower. And the HSBC building is nothing to stare at either. It's even worse on the inside.
I think what he means is that Charlotte is about 250 square miles. That is about the size of Schenectady County to put it in perspective. So, it's about the size of Rochester and all the way out to it's second ring suburbs. Like I mentioned in another topic on this forum, Southern cities annexed surrounding communities in recent years. So, it is tough to honestly compare. Rochester is a more dense city in terms of set up and Charlotte's downtown has expanded with the city. That would mean that if Rochester was like Charlotte, areas like Park Ave., Monroe Ave. and South Wedge would be a part of their Downtown.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:02 PM

99 posts, read 228,131 times
This focus on "downtown" is a complete red herring. Downtown San Francisco (i.e., the financial district) is a ghost town after business hours. So is downtown LA. You consider SF and LA gloomy and boring and tired and old?

Old 07-13-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggz View Post
This focus on "downtown" is a complete red herring. Downtown San Francisco (i.e., the financial district) is a ghost town after business hours. So is downtown LA. You consider SF and LA gloomy and boring and tired and old?
Good point and I've heard the same thing about Atlanta and Pittsburgh too.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:24 AM

*sigh* nevermind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area