Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 05:14 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,326,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
I have friends who will come up from downstate just to get a plate.
From the Southern Tier maybe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 03:56 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,783 times
Sorry guys I wouldnʻt go across the street for one.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:29 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,516 times
What is it exactly that people have garbage plates? Do you people not enjoy a nice burger or hot loaded with condiments and mac salad at a summer cookout?

Old 04-06-2010, 05:08 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Place in Richmond, VA, sells 'em, in fact I think they were the ones the Tahou family sued, resulting in the trademark they use.

The place in Richmond VA that sells them is called the "SIlver Diner" but it's a chain so I don't know if it's really authentic.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:13 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,807,932 times
If you don't enjoy the taste of a garbage plate you're either a vegan of some sort or just don't know good food. All over Rochester they have good garbage plates and I've never had one outside the region (lived many places). Late night Tahou's runs drunk as well used to blow away every other kind of intoxicated food from any breakfast place. The Waffle House, Denny's, and the IHOP can burn for all I care. Its also a very good food when you're sober. Not healthy but delicious. Then again, nothing good for you could possibly taste that good. I live in Alaska now and everytime I go back home (maybe once every two years) I am sure to eat a few garbage plates.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:20 AM

24 posts, read 59,280 times
I think these plates are ideal for college guys and I don't mind if many people other than me enjoy them. I am just arguing that these are not impressive cuisine. Can you imagine serving a garbage plate to a foreign dignitary or to a great chef and presenting it as a culinary feat? No. Many people enjoy meat, potatoes, and pasta, but the garbage plate is just a "dump" of those items and not a truly special creation. Perhaps some of you have not seen or tasted a well-composed and visually appealing meal before? To most people a heap of food mixed together is not beautiful but reminiscent of barf (which is not appetizing, unless, as I pointed out earlier, you happen to be drunk). Full disclosure: I moved here from Portland, Oregon and so perhaps we have very different ideas about what constitutes good food.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:07 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,719,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxlibrarian View Post
I think these plates are ideal for college guys and I don't mind if many people other than me enjoy them. I am just arguing that these are not impressive cuisine. Can you imagine serving a garbage plate to a foreign dignitary or to a great chef and presenting it as a culinary feat? No. Many people enjoy meat, potatoes, and pasta, but the garbage plate is just a "dump" of those items and not a truly special creation. Perhaps some of you have not seen or tasted a well-composed and visually appealing meal before? To most people a heap of food mixed together is not beautiful but reminiscent of barf (which is not appetizing, unless, as I pointed out earlier, you happen to be drunk). Full disclosure: I moved here from Portland, Oregon and so perhaps we have very different ideas about what constitutes good food.
lots of cities have their signature dish as greasy bar food that's horrible for you.When you think Philly, you think cheesesteaks. When you think Buffalo, you think wings. Memphis, BBQ, NYC, greasy pizza. And so on.
Nobody is claiming that it's some fancy upscale dish.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:23 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,099,752 times
I had garbage plates in the 70's at Nick Tahou's. They didn't look as bad as the photos I've seen online. I remember beans and macaroni salad most. It did not look like vomit. I do remember it tasted great.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:36 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,594,056 times
I love Rochester and the fact that we are not a chain dominated big box metro (and probably one of the only metros our size that can say that) and that we have local places like Nick Tahous and original local foods and all of that jazz....but the Garbage Plate; is disgusting.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:59 AM

1,891 posts, read 3,450,728 times
The plate came out of the Depression, as did the white hot dog. It got more popular when Rochester became more of a college town in '70's and '80's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area