Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 07:24 AM

20,051 posts, read 20,867,177 times

Advertisements

This^^^^
100%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 02:53 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Look at the threads on city-data.com complaining about noise from neighbors after moving to the country.

Complain that farming may be going on at night, not taking into consideration that everyone's crops come on at the same time, and harvesting companies with the big equipment have to operate 24/7 to get everyone's crops harvested at the proper time.

Complain about kids riding ATVs etc., on their property as permitted by local laws.

Complain that some larger properties set up gun sighting in and areas to teach their kids to shoot on their own property.

Complain about farmers hunting game on their own property, as the new resident does not want to hear gun shots.

Complain that some neighbor holds a big bar-b-que for his friends a couple time a year, and they make noise that can be heard next door. May even have a country band playing dance music.

Complain that the farmer is making noise out at their shop, working late at night to do a repair that was required from the day's work so the equipment is ready to go the next morning.

Complain that a farmer burns his fields, to get rid of disease and weeds, to they can have a good crop the next year. That burn off, can be the difference between making a profit, and going broke.

Complain that the animals next door, stink, and their manure makes his/her life unpleasant.

The country folk, hate these transplants that are only interested in changing the country areas to be what they want them to be, not changing to fit into the country life style.

And some of the idiotic replies by city people with suggestions to go confront the neighbors and tell them to change their life style, or come up with ideas of how to make the country people change what they are doing and has been done in the area for generations, show the divide between country and city way of life.

IF you want to move to the country, learn to live country style of forget about moving.
You might find it ironic, but under CA law all these complaints are not allowed. Move to a rural here and either accept what you find or go back to city life

Old 09-11-2020, 02:25 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
They are not allowed here in Montana either. Call the sheriffs office with one of these complaints, and you are abruptly told what they are doing is legal, so don't make complaints if you do not like Montana country life.

I was born and raised on a large ranching operation, in Northern California. We only owned 80 acres, but for one dollar year we leased 100,000 acres of cut over timber land to run cattle on. The main thing was, if there was any smoke from those forests, we were to call and let them know, which got them a fire watch for free, and we got grazing land for $1 a year. Good trade don't you think.

Old 09-11-2020, 12:24 PM

19,814 posts, read 9,371,980 times
I am very happy in our choice of location (rural Wisconsin) because it seems to combine the best of two worlds -- "gentrification" and rural life. Our entire county has only about 28,000 year-round residents, with the biggest industries being tourism and agriculture. Many very wealthy people have multi-million-dollar summer homes here, but the majority of residents have roots that go back a hundred years or more. My husband and I are working/middle-class retirees, as are many of the people living here year-round, but most of the natives are farmers, small business owners, or have some kind of working-class job (mostly construction-related work). Btw, all of the year-round retirees we've met seem to like our area exactly as it is and wouldn't change a thing, and I agree 100%.

Anyway, because of the millionaires and many affluent tourists, we have many of the amenities that suburbanites take for granted (such as pick-up trash service and a modern hospital) and dozens of galleries and independent restaurants, but because the natives are very active and vocal in preserving their life as they like it, in many ways, our area seems have remained in the 1950's. Chain stores except in the big town are non-existent*, and reliable Internet and cellphone service are iffy, at best, in many areas, which prevents many businesses and urban younger people from moving here. As I have been told, "you can't eat scenery".

*Except for one major supermarket

Old 09-15-2020, 03:48 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
Yup you've summed up the negative aspects of rural gentrification quite well .

FWIW one thing that there doesn't seem to be any information about is the issue of displacement of longstanding residents in rural areas undergoing gentrification , while one can find a good bit of information about the displacement of their urban counterparts .

I wonder why that is so .
The big news for the last 40 years has been the depopulation of rural America, as young people leave for the bright lights and high pay of the city. Small communities that were vital neighborhood centers in the '60s have been hollowed out. The town where my mother graduated from high school doesn't even have schools any more, and the only business still open is the feed store that doubles as a gas station.

The epidemics turning cities into disease centers may rescue rural areas from depopulation. My county only has a 9% college graduation rate, vs. 26% for the state as a whole. The kids go off to college and never come back. Telecommuting may change that, if broadband ever becomes available.

Old 09-16-2020, 04:16 PM

724 posts, read 503,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The big news for the last 40 years has been the depopulation of rural America, as young people leave for the bright lights and high pay of the city. Small communities that were vital neighborhood centers in the '60s have been hollowed out. The town where my mother graduated from high school doesn't even have schools any more, and the only business still open is the feed store that doubles as a gas station.

The epidemics turning cities into disease centers may rescue rural areas from depopulation. My county only has a 9% college graduation rate, vs. 26% for the state as a whole. The kids go off to college and never come back. Telecommuting may change that, if broadband ever becomes available.
Yup the depopulation of rural areas as a result of lack of jobs and such is old news , however I've never read articles about the exodus of lower/working class people from rural areas as a result of affluent yuppie types moving into their area , whereas one can find a plethora of articles ( and probably even books ) devoted to the subject as it concerns the exodus of lower/working class people in urban areas due to the same factor .

I suppose this dynamic may not be as prevalent in rural areas , but I still find it strange that no one seems to have written about this particular subject , since there are rural areas where such a thing may very well have occurred .

Old 09-16-2020, 04:43 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
Yup the depopulation of rural areas as a result of lack of jobs and such is old news , however I've never read articles about the exodus of lower/working class people from rural areas as a result of affluent yuppie types moving into their area , whereas one can find a plethora of articles ( and probably even books ) devoted to the subject as it concerns the exodus of lower/working class people in urban areas due to the same factor .

I suppose this dynamic may not be as prevalent in rural areas , but I still find it strange that no one seems to have written about this particular subject , since there are rural areas where such a thing may very well have occurred .
That has been an ongoing gripe about Ashland, Oregon. The Shakespeare Festival brings in big money Californians, many from the Hollywood area. Local natives are priced out of the housing market. The solution is to move to Medford, a few miles a way, and commute to Ashland for work. People had to move, but they didn't have to move far. Medford is a bigger town anyway.

There has been some drop in lower class and middle class lifestyles, but that is happening everywhere. River front property is up into seven figures, where 30 years ago a middle class family could fish in their back yard.

Old 09-20-2020, 01:37 PM

724 posts, read 503,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
That has been an ongoing gripe about Ashland, Oregon. The Shakespeare Festival brings in big money Californians, many from the Hollywood area. Local natives are priced out of the housing market. The solution is to move to Medford, a few miles a way, and commute to Ashland for work. People had to move, but they didn't have to move far. Medford is a bigger town anyway.

There has been some drop in lower class and middle class lifestyles, but that is happening everywhere. River front property is up into seven figures, where 30 years ago a middle class family could fish in their back yard.

Yeah I imagine a lot of population transfer of the sort you've mentioned must have taken place throughout the country , I just find it odd that nobody seems to have come out with a bunch of articles/books/or even documentaries concerning it .

Maybe I'll be able to once I get around to project mode .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living