Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 10:00 AM

724 posts, read 502,552 times

Advertisements

Everyone knows about the topic of gentrification as it relates to urban areas , however the topic of gentrification in rural areas seems to be vastly ignored , which is why I thought it pertinent to start up a thread about .

I don't mean for this thread to have any specific theme by the way , other than what's already in the title , so feel free to fire away anything and everything that relates to it .

So as a Sussex County DE native/a current resident of the Greater DC area , this topic is one I'm ( IMHO ) rather familiar with , since I know of many rural areas that have become gentrified so to speak .

In other words many places that I'm familiar with from Franklin County PA to Jefferson County WV , have received an influx of urban/suburban ( typically ) professional types who are usually better off than the locals and ( oftentimes ) live in their own separate world from them .

I'm not a particularly malicious nor ( I'd like to think anyways ) prejudiced person and I try to get along with everyone who's possible to get along with , but I still think that gentrification of this sort causes rather similar issues as that of its urban variant .

I could ramble on extensively , but methinks I've cooked up a good starting point , so I'd much prefer if someone were to add something to it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2020, 10:26 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,057 times
It’s a burr under my horseback riding saddle. It hasn’t touched my end of my Ag county but it has invaded the NNE end which is closer to Murfreesboro, TN, which borders Nashville, TN on the S/SE end. Need I say more.

A lot of big old Tennessee Walking Horse farms and farms in general have succumbed to McMansion suburban sprawl and I am one who is not happy about it.

Thank goodness the City of Franklin, TN (Williamson County) spent the money to buy up the last 100 acres of the Harlindale Farms And turned it into a park/event venue to preserve it from all those fancy city folks wanting country living on a half acre lot, far enough from Nashville that their 15 minute drive has becom3 an hour drive because everybody has built on top of each other —— and brought their whackadoodle city thinking with them.

^^^you're probably out of breath reading that last big sentence but you get my unhappy point, lollol

My barely more than one lane road only has 18 homes and farms on it; some are fourth generation on this old road. I do not want to see “those” city or suburbia people move in and start whining about needing to change things. Don’t move here in the first place, if you think things need changed.

I am a retired Yankee transplant who comes from dairy & beef farming, with some horses on the side. My brother now owns the small farm in NE Ohio our grandparents bought.

Meaning I vowed to be a good steward of this 25 acres and never to say “but Ohio does it this way”. Mom always said “when in Rome, do as the Romans do.” I live by that unless it’s detrimental. Also, we bought ten of those 25 acres to keep other people from buying it and junking it up - my horses thank me and our bush hog stays busy

So there’s my two cents times twenty - Next

Old 09-04-2020, 10:30 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
I believe you might be referring to the concept of "The New Rural Rich". City folks have discovered fresh air and small town life is nice. So they build big beautiful houses on the outskirts of small towns and commute an hour to the city. It radically changes the dynamics of that small town.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I believe you might be referring to the concept of "The New Rural Rich". City folks have discovered fresh air and small town life is nice. So they build big beautiful houses on the outskirts of small towns and commute an hour to the city. It radically changes the dynamics of that small town.

I mean not all or even most of these people are rich , though they certainly tend to be richer than local long standing rural residents .

And yeah the dynamics of areas experiencing this sort of phenomenon definitely tend to get changed .

Old 09-04-2020, 11:18 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
It isn't necessarily a bad thing for the community. Here in Monroe County, Tn the retirees who have moved here spend money locally supporting the businesses. We got a new Food City because of all the business.
Many local home builders and tradesmen have benefitted financially as well.

just sayin'

Old 09-04-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
It isn't necessarily a bad thing for the community. Here in Monroe County, Tn the retirees who have moved here spend money locally supporting the businesses. We got a new Food City because of all the business.

just sayin'

Yup there's that aspect as well .

Many tradesmen in the Greater DC area have certainly made plenty of coin as a result of the expansion of exurbia in that area .

Old 09-04-2020, 02:24 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post

just sayin'

I hear what you say, but watching what has happened to our little community that is doing a lot better financially but the stars are gone and the crime rate has soared, etc., sometimes it feels like we've sold our birthright for a mess of pottage.

Though this is not so much gentrification (though there's some of that) as massive subdivisions.

Gentrification in the country, to me, is people from the city moving to the country because they LOVE the country, then complaining because there's ANIMALS in the country, and they make noise, and smell, and commit rude acts right out in public, and we should do something about that, and there are no sidewalks on the country roads, and some of them aren't even paved like city streets, and we don't have street lights (because they're afraid of the dark, apparently), and the farmers go to work WAY too early and that shouldn't be allowed, and there are people shooting SHOTGUNS on adjoining properties (where they've been doing that in hunting season for four or five generations on the same property), and there oughta be a law to make the country just like the city and they try to get such passed (sadly, sometimes, successfully).

Much like people who move from one state or country to another and then complain that it's not just like where they came from.

Old 09-04-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I hear what you say, but watching what has happened to our little community that is doing a lot better financially but the stars are gone and the crime rate has soared, etc., sometimes it feels like we've sold our birthright for a mess of pottage.

Though this is not so much gentrification (though there's some of that) as massive subdivisions.

Gentrification in the country, to me, is people from the city moving to the country because they LOVE the country, then complaining because there's ANIMALS in the country, and they make noise, and smell, and commit rude acts right out in public, and we should do something about that, and there are no sidewalks on the country roads, and some of them aren't even paved like city streets, and we don't have street lights (because they're afraid of the dark, apparently), and the farmers go to work WAY too early and that shouldn't be allowed, and there are people shooting SHOTGUNS on adjoining properties (where they've been doing that in hunting season for four or five generations on the same property), and there oughta be a law to make the country just like the city and they try to get such passed (sadly, sometimes, successfully).

Much like people who move from one state or country to another and then complain that it's not just like where they came from.

Yup you've summed up the negative aspects of rural gentrification quite well .

FWIW one thing that there doesn't seem to be any information about is the issue of displacement of longstanding residents in rural areas undergoing gentrification , while one can find a good bit of information about the displacement of their urban counterparts .

I wonder why that is so .

Old 09-04-2020, 03:27 PM

6,109 posts, read 4,602,134 times
I think this happens a lot where there's some sort of natural amenity, whether that be mountains, water of any sort, or just great views.

It also happens quite a bit in formerly sleepy rural areas within commuting distance to a larger city with a hot job market. But that depends on which side of the city the outlying rural area is located. On the side of the city where there are jobs and a more affluent population, that's typically where you see the gentrification and people buying land/working farms/older homes for teardowns of larger homes once you get out into a more rural area on that side of the city. If it's on the side of the city that's economically depressed and stagnant, the rural areas further out on that side of the city don't typically grow as much.

Old 09-04-2020, 06:36 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
Everyone knows about the topic of gentrification as it relates to urban areas , however the topic of gentrification in rural areas seems to be vastly ignored , which is why I thought it pertinent to start up a thread about .

I don't mean for this thread to have any specific theme by the way , other than what's already in the title , so feel free to fire away anything and everything that relates to it .

So as a Sussex County DE native/a current resident of the Greater DC area , this topic is one I'm ( IMHO ) rather familiar with , since I know of many rural areas that have become gentrified so to speak .

In other words many places that I'm familiar with from Franklin County PA to Jefferson County WV , have received an influx of urban/suburban ( typically ) professional types who are usually better off than the locals and ( oftentimes ) live in their own separate world from them .

I'm not a particularly malicious nor ( I'd like to think anyways ) prejudiced person and I try to get along with everyone who's possible to get along with , but I still think that gentrification of this sort causes rather similar issues as that of its urban variant .

I could ramble on extensively , but methinks I've cooked up a good starting point , so I'd much prefer if someone were to add something to it .
I see the distinction you make in urban vs. rural, but the theme is the same for both: property values rising because there are people commuting to a larger center of opportunity.

There are some exurbs that are so far-flung it will take you a solid 2 hours to get to city center in rush hour traffic. New supercommuters are made every single day.

The phenomenon I see is that families are tired of "making things work" with a townhouse, tight parking, no yard, and expensive childcare. They're sick of the sacrifices they're making to one day maybe be able to afford a SFH. So they're taking what would be townhouse money in the city and going ahead and buying that SFH with their own yard in a far-flung exurb to lock that in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living