Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2020, 12:44 PM

782 posts, read 1,357,201 times

Advertisements

Several months back my game camera recorded a pack of dogs running together on my hunting land. Don't like seeing them running loose as they could be chasing down Wildlife like deer. Also don't like the idea of them coming up on me if I happen to be out roaming about in the woods. Since I usually carry a handgun with me for snakes can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't dispatch a pack of dogs that's running wild on my property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2020, 12:56 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,416,359 times
Uh, moral reasons?

I could not fathom just randomly shooting dogs or any animal for the hell of it, or in your case, unproven allegations.

How about humanely trapping them and giving them to your local animal control/shelter?

DO not say it is too hard, even myself in the poor USSR as a teen, humanely trapped feral dogs like this, I find it hard to believe an American with much greater access to resources to do so, cannot manage such a task.

And why would you wonder off into the woods, and shoot a snake if you come across it? That is really baffling, lol. Where do you think snakes live?

If you want to kill something just for the thrill of killing, just go do it and not seek some sort of justification to make yourself feel better about it.

Old 09-20-2020, 04:57 PM

9,459 posts, read 5,229,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Several months back my game camera recorded a pack of dogs running together on my hunting land. Don't like seeing them running loose as they could be chasing down Wildlife like deer. Also don't like the idea of them coming up on me if I happen to be out roaming about in the woods. Since I usually carry a handgun with me for snakes can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't dispatch a pack of dogs that's running wild on my property?
How about consulting with Fish & Game (or Fish & Wildlife)? Please don’t shoot those dogs.... please

Old 09-20-2020, 05:35 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Can you provide evidence that these "feral" dogs are harassing anything? If you witness a loose dog harassing your livestock you may be within your rights to shoot it. Not for a mere allegation. What is wrong with you? Just setting yourself up for legal trouble or retaliation. While I certainly don't think dogs should be left to run loose, the first responsible step is to inform your neighbors that you won't tolerate it. They may have no idea. Take your game camera photos that identify the dogs and use them on notices stating you will trap any dog found on your property and turn them over to animal control. Animal control or F&G may provide the traps. Let them take the matter up with the dog(s) owners.

As for shooting snakes...what's wrong with you? You aren't going to rid the land of snakes and snakes serve their purpose even if you are clueless about what that is. So the only "wildlife" worth any respect are the species you like eating? Really? Watch where you step and leave the non-game critters alone. Your little artificial game park/fiefdom will be healthier if you do.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-20-2020 at 05:54 PM..

Old 09-20-2020, 08:39 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
What they all said. One would think an actual outdoorsman would know better. Both about the dogs and the snakes.

Old 09-20-2020, 09:02 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times
Quote:
What is wrong with snakes?

Ok if these dogs actually attacked, sure shoot away. Otherwise, let them be. There are just wild animals. In our area deer are pests and hazards. Too many deer here

Old 09-21-2020, 01:22 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
Forget getting advice for this type of problem on a talk line like this, that do not know your state, and county laws concerning your problem. All you are getting are emotional opinions by several people, and are worthless advice.

Discuss the problem with your county animal control officer. They will tell you your options under the law. They may even trap the animals for you, and give the owners big fines for letting them run free.

Old 09-21-2020, 02:41 AM

7,263 posts, read 5,143,446 times
Quote:
All great advice given above by people sounding like they live in luxury condos on the 34th floor in Manhattan and their experience with the Great Outdoors is limited to walking their lap dogs on sidewalks decorated with a few potted maple trees.

If you live in an area remote enough to support a pack of feral dogs, then those dogs are eating something they've stalked and killed, and doing it on a regular basis....You could be on the menu, so protecting yourself with a firearm may be necessary at some point.

OTOH- this pack is helping to replace the wolf pack that should have been there. It's filling a useful niche in the ecosystem. Hunting them merely for the sake of eliminating them is not a wise choice.....

... Deer are rats with antlers. Thanks to greatly increased habitat formed by cutting so many roads thru forests, and thanks to the extirpation of wolves in so many areas, and thanks to less & less hunting every year, many locations are over populated with deer. The dogs may be doing you and the ecosystem a favor if they occasionally pick off a fawn or two.

Old 09-21-2020, 05:54 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,502,350 times
Everyone I know here in Texas who has acreage of any size kills feral dogs and cats on sight. The dogs are dangerous to livestock, and more likely than coyotes to attack humans, especially if you run across them in the woods. Since gunshots are common year round, no one cares what you are shooting at.

Old 09-21-2020, 05:57 AM

9,459 posts, read 5,229,337 times
Well, the OP didn't say where he lived or if there was a clear and present danger to any livestock or humans.
We live in a very rural area and we wouldn't go shooting anything without asking F&W about it first, unless someone was being attacked (human and other animals).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living