Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 10:55 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times

Advertisements

" (One caveat - do not EVER shoot a gun, even a .22, in a chicken coop with three metal sides. You'll be deaf for hours!)"

LOL!! Reading that was a spew coffee moment. Ouch!

On rare occasions, a dog or two will come around trying to bother my groundhogs (which I want, as they fill the niche otherwise held by skunks), and so far I have been able to discourage them by using the words a dog owner would when displeased. Mostly, I find the ebb and flow of animals in the area around me interesting to observe. If the squirrel population gets too large, I'll see foxes come in. The hawks and the crows have their own balance. Pest animals, like the squirrel that was going after my few veggies, get "permanently rehabilitated." Any aggressive dog would get SSS treatment.

Most of what I have to dispatch are the invasive asian ladybugs, fire ants, and wayward field mice that want to come inside. My overall fight with nature has to do with privet, sawbriars, hackberry, virginia creeper, thistle, and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 02:36 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralUSHomeowner View Post
We've always had problems with "feral" dogs over the last 40 years at our farms. Sadly..most are not truly "feral" dogs, but dogs that are unattended and owned by irresponsible pet owners.

The crimes committed by "pets" have ranged from chasing our horses through fences, attacking a cow birthing a calf, attacking calves penned up, attacking our barn cats (fixed and vaccinated by the way) and attacking our farm dogs (also fixed and vaccinated).

Any time "pets" or "feral" dogs roam together they can frequently exhibit violent behavior not normally seen if the dog was alone.

Once a dog has engaged in the above mentioned behaviors....they are a problem to all. We have also seen them show no fear and become aggressive towards adults and children.

In multiple states it is legal to put down a dog attacking livestock and of course a person.
No one here is arguing that a landowner may be justified in shooting free ranging dogs that are directly observed or proven to be attacking livestock, pets, or people on their property. The OP had no such evidence.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:39 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
Where I live, it's legal (encouraged, actually) to shoot loose dogs (and other domesticated animals) that are in the act of harassing livestock or wildlife, or menacing people. But shooting a dog only because it's loose is considered destruction of property, even if it's on your land. I think this is probably a pretty common combination of laws. Like, if someone's left a car illegally parked, you don't get to break their windows.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:40 PM

13,075 posts, read 7,519,082 times
Go for it OP.
Dogs are really smart. Good chance to catch and transmit rabies, scabies, scrapies and CVD.

Last edited by leastprime; 09-23-2020 at 02:49 PM..

Old 09-23-2020, 06:37 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,940,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Several months back my game camera recorded a pack of dogs running together on my hunting land. Don't like seeing them running loose as they could be chasing down Wildlife like deer. Also don't like the idea of them coming up on me if I happen to be out roaming about in the woods. Since I usually carry a handgun with me for snakes can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't dispatch a pack of dogs that's running wild on my property?
I live deep in rural Colorado where the deer and the antelope play - especially the deer. As far as I'm concerned, deer are just overgrown rats. Their population is way out of control since man has eliminated all their natural predators except for the occasional mountain lion. I wish we had more mountain lions and fewer people who claim to be "outdoorsmen" because they want to shoot everything in sight. Are you planning on finishing off any dog who may stray upon your property? How would you know that all the dogs you intend to kill are indeed "feral"?

My Big Dog pretty much stays on the property (400 acres of ranchland seems to be adequate for him), and if some gun crazed idiot were to shoot him, that crazed idiot would have hell to pay and then some.

Have your neighbors also been disturbed by packs of feral dogs? Do you have any actual evidence that packs of dogs are preying on the game in your area? We don't get packs of loose dogs where I live. There is the occasional stray - mostly animals dumped by people who no longer want them. If I come across such an animal, I catch it and take it into town to the nearest humane society. That way, I am rid of the dog without the possibility of starting some war with the rancher or farmer down the road.

I never ever kill snakes. We have so many damn prairie dogs and other rodents around here that I am grateful to the snakes for every vermin/varmint they have killed.

Some "outdoorsman."

Old 09-23-2020, 09:50 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,151,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Forget getting advice for this type of problem on a talk line like this, that do not know your state, and county laws concerning your problem. All you are getting are emotional opinions by several people, and are worthless advice.

Discuss the problem with your county animal control officer. They will tell you your options under the law. They may even trap the animals for you, and give the owners big fines for letting them run free.
Most of it is less than worthless, and actually dangerously stupid.

Related, though not about dogs, speaking of wild animals that can be a hazard both physically and economically: shooting pigs, or using explosives, often as not by air, is one method to manage a wildly out of control population. In Texas, there are few, if-any, limits on methods or quantity. Guys use AR-15s (oooo: the big bad rifle), AR-10s, semi and full auto this and that. Still there are ever-more of the POS things. Not sure how that will turn out, short to mid-term.

I like pets just fine, and have two domestic cats. I've had dogs in my life, though feel no burning need for any at this point in life. While I would "emotionally" feel bad about shooting a feral dog, I wouldn't hesitate more than about a minute, if-that, if confronted by a pack and there was no simple way out. Domestic stray dogs will form packs, and suddenly they are dangerous, not sure why that is hard to understand. Not unlike pit bulls, loveable right up until worked-up at which point some...not all...are not.

I'd take it up with the game warden, first, as in immediately. And anywhere with wild dog packs, I'd also have my sidearm, end of story. Snakes are not a problem in my world nor would I shoot any, another commentary. Chuckling thinking about the big-old ribbon or garter snake I saw couple days ago: I just shoo'd him off, he was enjoying the sun and plenty of harmless breeds around WA State, the land being "boggy" as the normal state of things.

PS: I was charged by a POS dog two days ago, this happens on rare occasion when you hike or run given sufficient time and distance. I deployed my folding baton. The dog turned around, and ran off, "this time". Twice in twenty years that I recall, they have come after me with intention to do harm and have gotten the beatdown. What am I supposed to feel, bad I used self-defense to protect life and limb?

This country is becoming an upside-down, (messed)-up place.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:02 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Most of it is less than worthless, and actually dangerously stupid.

Related, though not about dogs, speaking of wild animals that can be a hazard both physically and economically: shooting pigs, or using explosives, often as not by air, is one method to manage a wildly out of control population. In Texas, there are few, if-any, limits on methods or quantity. Guys use AR-15s (oooo: the big bad rifle), AR-10s, semi and full auto this and that. Still there are ever-more of the POS things. Not sure how that will turn out, short to mid-term.

I like pets just fine, and have two domestic cats. I've had dogs in my life, though feel no burning need for any at this point in life. While I would "emotionally" feel bad about shooting a feral dog, I wouldn't hesitate more than about a minute, if-that, if confronted by a pack and there was no simple way out. Domestic stray dogs will form packs, and suddenly they are dangerous, not sure why that is hard to understand. Not unlike pit bulls, loveable right up until worked-up at which point some...not all...are not.

I'd take it up with the game warden, first, as in immediately. And anywhere with wild dog packs, I'd also have my sidearm, end of story. Snakes are not a problem in my world nor would I shoot any, another commentary. Chuckling thinking about the big-old ribbon or garter snake I saw couple days ago: I just shoo'd him off, he was enjoying the sun and plenty of harmless breeds around WA State, the land being "boggy" as the normal state of things.

PS: I was charged by a POS dog two days ago, this happens on rare occasion when you hike or run given sufficient time and distance. I deployed my folding baton. The dog turned around, and ran off, "this time". Twice in twenty years that I recall, they have come after me with intention to do harm and have gotten the beatdown. What am I supposed to feel, bad I used self-defense to protect life and limb?

This country is becoming an upside-down, (messed)-up place.

I don't think anybody here is saying that you cannot defend yourself or your livestock. What you describe is absolutely appropriate and I don't think anyone would criticize you for it. But the OP was not talking about shooting dogs in the act of attacking - he was talking about shooting dogs just because the are there. BIG difference, and those of us who live in the country see far too much of this attitude on the part of those who somehow, like some do with cars, confuse their weapons (which are nothing more than tools) with what they consider to be important parts of their anatomy. When used properly, to kill (or in your case, hit) dogs in the act, the tools are used properly. Otherwise, not so much.

And being in Texas, I'm well aware of the "open season" on feral hogs. Those are unquestionably dangerous and, near as I can tell, give rabbits a run for their money in the "breeding like rabbits" category. No problem with that at all.

Old 10-01-2020, 01:39 PM

782 posts, read 1,357,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Forget getting advice for this type of problem on a talk line like this, that do not know your state, and county laws concerning your problem. All you are getting are emotional opinions by several people, and are worthless advice.

Discuss the problem with your county animal control officer. They will tell you your options under the law. They may even trap the animals for you, and give the owners big fines for letting them run free.

You are so Right!
They sound emotionally-charged and do not realize feral dogs run down game and attack people given the opportunity.
As for the handgun, I carry it in case I must dispatch a venous snake but have never done so yet and hope not to ever need to.

Old 10-01-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Sorry, you are no outdoorman. No snake needs to be shot. And don't tell me I'm sitting in my Manhattan penthouse. I walk my 100+ acres almost every day, with my dogs, and one of the things we look for is snakes. To be careful, sure, but also to admire. They're amazing creatures.

If they really get in your way, relocate them.

Shooting at a snake is an indication of a person's maturity level. Somewhere around high school, trying to impress the girls, I would say.

You are over-emotional and jump to conclusions.
I have never shot a snake but I like many other experienced outdoorsman carry the tools we need in case they are needed!
Also go tell someone who has had to dispatch an aggressive snake that 'no snake ever needs to be shot!'

Old 10-01-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I'd think a rifle would be more suitable for dealing with packs of wild dogs than a handgun.

As to snakes, there are times when it's necessary to kill a venomous snake. Most of the time you can leave them alone.
I agree a rifle is more suitable if I were out to 'hunt' as in shooting long distances, but I am mostly in woods and my hands are most often filled carrying tools and such on the property.
Whenever I am in the woods, I keep an eye out for snakes hoping to never step on/near one but there is always the possibility of an aggressive encounter so I carry this as a tool if needed.

Finally, so intelligent feedback
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living