Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 06:59 PM

23,602 posts, read 70,446,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
You would put 2 rounds of the snakeshot in first firing order (rotate your cylinder so they will fire first) and follow these with 4 rounds of your preferred solid bullet. So if you run across a snake you are good. If you run into a large animal (or bad guy) just squeeze off the 2 snake rounds quickly - these will at least stun the target - and follow with the other rounds as needed.....
I once tried some target practice with snake shot in my 2" barrel 38 pistol. LOL! I'll stick to hollow points and decent boots, thankyewveddymuch. If you come across a snake and it recognizes you first and strikes, your boots are a lot more effective than pellets in a holstered weapon. If you can't hit a snake at four feet with a shell, you might be better off with a walking stick or shovel or hoe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2020, 07:02 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I once tried some target practice with snake shot in my 2" barrel 38 pistol. LOL! I'll stick to hollow points and decent boots, thankyewveddymuch. If you come across a snake and it recognizes you first and strikes, your boots are a lot more effective than pellets in a holstered weapon. If you can't hit a snake at four feet with a shell, you might be better off with a walking stick or shovel or hoe.
Yes boots are a must
Especially if you know the area is full of snakes.

Old 10-05-2020, 07:56 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,801,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
You may want to try again, or practice a bit. Or buy new ammo. Or a new gun. 2" barrel may not be the best for this round. A good snake load is deadly up to about 10 ft away. Practice, my son, practice....

Old 10-05-2020, 08:18 PM

23,602 posts, read 70,446,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
You may want to try again, or practice a bit. Or buy new ammo. Or a new gun. 2" barrel may not be the best for this round. A good snake load is deadly up to about 10 ft away. Practice, my son, practice....
I do quite well with target practice using HP and standard rounds. I suspect you are correct about the short barrel.

Old 10-06-2020, 11:07 AM

19,651 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I intervened one time as a teen when a little girl was being harassed by a pack of 9-10 dogs, they were circling her and working her into a field, there was snow every where.
I ran into the middle with the littel girl and began throwing snow balls at the dogs and yelling at them ,I'd had thrown rocks but there was just snow. After a few minuets and hitting a few they finally left and I walked the girl home.
Had I known about farrel dogs I might have thought about it bit more before rushing in unarmed but I was just a kid.
Some where in one of my old computers I have a picture of a massacre , wolves had killed a small hurd of elk doe ,not for food just for the frenzy they get into.
I never thought a cat would kill for fun but one managed to get into my kennel with 4 roosters and killed them all.
Animals can be quie vicious and unpredictable, never assume any thing. NEVER.
If you think a tooth ache is bad you have remidies to go to, bear and other animals do not.
Many animals depend on ambush for their success in survival.
It is not uncommon for dogs to adapt to pack living, and it takes an incredible amount of dicipline to manage dog teams. never thake that for granted.
You probably saved that little girl's life. The dogs were preparing for the kill. You were her like her guardian angel.

One dog stalking is bad enough, but a group circling is really bad news.

Old 10-06-2020, 02:20 PM

782 posts, read 1,357,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Seems like for snakes you'd want shot shells? And for feral animals you'd want normal rounds? Can you really hit a snake from 6 feet away with a .38 or whatever, from a pistol? I sure couldn't.

You are correct.
I carry 'shotshells' and JHP in alternating chambers in the cylinder of my revolver.

Old 10-06-2020, 02:26 PM

782 posts, read 1,357,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
The entire concept of an "aggressive snake" in North America WRT grown humans is ridiculous. The snakes are not going to hunt you. If a snake lashes out at you it's because you have gotten too close to one another and it feels the need to defend itself. The best defense against snakes are boots, gloves and paying attention.

I don't have a problem with dispatching a poisonous snake that's where it can't be (e.g. around your animals or kids) but you can just walk away from a snake that's in the woods.

As I have already posted, venemous snakes have bit and killed people in the outdoors before.
Granted most snake bites are because someone was harassing the snake so they asked for it but snakes have bitten people who just happened into their territory. One old man in Georgia was killed by a rattler while climbing in his tree stand on a deer hunt. His grandson found him later.
I don't harass wildlife but I am always watchful for snakes. The gun is for protection when I have no other option.
To date I have never shot a snake (or a dog) or a person before either yet still carry cause I know the possibility of danger from all 3 is real.

Old 10-06-2020, 04:53 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times
The shot shells are for close range only.

Old 10-06-2020, 11:15 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times
Anyone that needs shot shells in a pistol at 10 feet, should not be out in the woods.

At that range, if you are any good, you will be able to hit a quarter from the hip.

My grandfather was from the old west in the Montana Cattle Wars in the late 1800s, and was a professional gunman. He met my grandmother a nurse from Sweden in a Montana fort and she refused to marry him unless he gave up the guns and move to California. He did, and they were married for over 60 years.

He taught me to shoot. We had a problem when I was 11, a huge number of wild canaries moved to our area and were after our cherries. He bought me .22 Caps by the 500 case, to shoot those canaries with a single shot .22 rifle. I soon never missed. I shot from one side of the trees, as the slug would come down on a hill across a gulch where we kept the cattle fenced out during that time. He soon taught me to hip shoot those canaries, and I soon never missed due to his teachings. If a 11 year old kid can hip shoot a canary out of a tree 30 feet away it sounds silly that a grown man that is carrying a pistol cannot hit a snake at less than 10 feet and need a shot shell. I feel if you cannot shoot straight don't carry a gun.

Old 10-07-2020, 08:13 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,801,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Anyone that needs shot shells in a pistol at 10 feet, should not be out in the woods.

At that range, if you are any good, you will be able to hit a quarter from the hip.
Settle down, Annie Oakley.......not everyone is a crack shot like you...

When you factor in an adrenaline rush and maybe age, inexperience or physical injuries like arthritis, it doesn't hurt to have a shot shell with a pellet spread....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living