Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 01:48 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times

Advertisements

If you can get the dogs to come to you, give them a free ride to the dog pound. If they are truly feral, your only choice is to shoot them, but give them a chance to be tame first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2020, 02:01 PM

6,026 posts, read 3,745,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
If you can get the dogs to come to you, give them a free ride to the dog pound. If they are truly feral, your only choice is to shoot them, but give them a chance to be tame first.
It might not be such a good idea to try to get a wild looking and wild acting pack of dogs to "come to you". These dogs might think that their dinner is calling them and act accordingly.

Old 09-21-2020, 04:05 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,083,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Everyone I know here in Texas who has acreage of any size kills feral dogs and cats on sight. The dogs are dangerous to livestock, and more likely than coyotes to attack humans, especially if you run across them in the woods. Since gunshots are common year round, no one cares what you are shooting at.
They shoot feral cats? Why, because they MEOW at you too loudly?

Holy crap, what miserable human beings. And I would never want to live in a place where "no one cares what you are shooting at."

Old 09-21-2020, 04:33 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Uh, moral reasons?

I could not fathom just randomly shooting dogs or any animal for the hell of it, or in your case, unproven allegations.

How about humanely trapping them and giving them to your local animal control/shelter?

DO not say it is too hard, even myself in the poor USSR as a teen, humanely trapped feral dogs like this, I find it hard to believe an American with much greater access to resources to do so, cannot manage such a task.

And why would you wonder off into the woods, and shoot a snake if you come across it? That is really baffling, lol. Where do you think snakes live?

If you want to kill something just for the thrill of killing, just go do it and not seek some sort of justification to make yourself feel better about it.
How perfectly well said! The OP is looking for an OK to kill domestic animals who were ALL at some point FAILED by the humans who owned them.

What you are proposing is not moral. The dogs were dumped. They deserve better.

Old 09-21-2020, 04:42 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

Holy crap, what miserable human beings. And I would never want to live in a place where "no one cares what you are shooting at."
I was attempting to help a colony of feral cats who literally "came with" my first house. Help - spay, neuter, and feed. Gentle them, when that was a possibility.

A neighbor's advice? "just put out a few bowls of anti-freeze. That'll kill 'em!".

There are evil people out there. Never met an evil cat or dog.

Old 09-21-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
It might not be such a good idea to try to get a wild looking and wild acting pack of dogs to "come to you". These dogs might think that their dinner is calling them and act accordingly.
That's not a concern if you are carrying a handgun.

Old 09-21-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
How perfectly well said! The OP is looking for an OK to kill domestic animals who were ALL at some point FAILED by the humans who owned them.

The best thing you can do is give them a quick death. Hopefully, you are a good shot. Once the animal is dead, the tragedy is done.

Old 09-21-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
That's not a concern if you are carrying a handgun.
Better have plenty of ammo and be a good shot with a handgun. When I was a kid, I saw a Sheriff's Deputy put 5 or 6 rounds of .38 Special into a medium sized dog that was reported to have rabies, and the dog was still on his feet and acting aggressive when someone finally put him down with a 2x4 over the head.

Old 09-21-2020, 05:30 PM

Feral cats are very hard on the population of game birds and small rabbits. They don't just eat mice. They're predators.

Old 09-21-2020, 05:45 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

They usually have 5 or 6 cats around their house that are spayed/neutered and have their shots. No one wants another bunch of cats with no shots, not fixed, and who knows what diseases, running around the property. Feral cats are vermin, especially in rural areas where they predate on desirable species. And, no one has time to trap, neuter, and return a dozen or more cats.

Quote:

They weren't necessarily dumped. Some of them are the offspring of already feral dogs.

Quote:
I was attempting to help a colony of feral cats who literally "came with" my first house. Help - spay, neuter, and feed. Gentle them, when that was a possibility.

A neighbor's advice? "just put out a few bowls of anti-freeze. That'll kill 'em!".

There are evil people out there. Never met an evil cat or dog.
I wouldn't use anti-freeze, but I am not going to do anything to feral cats except try to get rid of them. They aren't special at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Feral cats are very hard on the population of game birds and small rabbits. They don't just eat mice. They're predators.
Exactly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living