Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 05:19 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I guess what I'm asking, not being any kind of a hunter myself, never having carried a firearm - if you are carrying, because you think you might encounter a threat that needs regular solid rounds, and you also might encounter a threat that needs the shot shell, how do you make sure you have the shot shell when you need it (snake) and the solid round when you might need it (feral dogs, feral hogs, feral humans)?
load your extra speedloaders or magazines with different loads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2020, 05:44 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,502,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Shovel.
A how works well too.

Old 10-03-2020, 06:19 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,930,757 times
I intervened one time as a teen when a little girl was being harassed by a pack of 9-10 dogs, they were circling her and working her into a field, there was snow every where.
I ran into the middle with the littel girl and began throwing snow balls at the dogs and yelling at them ,I'd had thrown rocks but there was just snow. After a few minuets and hitting a few they finally left and I walked the girl home.
Had I known about farrel dogs I might have thought about it bit more before rushing in unarmed but I was just a kid.
Some where in one of my old computers I have a picture of a massacre , wolves had killed a small hurd of elk doe ,not for food just for the frenzy they get into.
I never thought a cat would kill for fun but one managed to get into my kennel with 4 roosters and killed them all.
Animals can be quie vicious and unpredictable, never assume any thing. NEVER.
If you think a tooth ache is bad you have remidies to go to, bear and other animals do not.
Many animals depend on ambush for their success in survival.
It is not uncommon for dogs to adapt to pack living, and it takes an incredible amount of dicipline to manage dog teams. never thake that for granted.

Old 10-03-2020, 07:25 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,710,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Several months back my game camera recorded a pack of dogs running together on my hunting land. Don't like seeing them running loose as they could be chasing down Wildlife like deer. Also don't like the idea of them coming up on me if I happen to be out roaming about in the woods. Since I usually carry a handgun with me for snakes can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't dispatch a pack of dogs that's running wild on my property?
What on earth for?

If a venomous snake is close enough to strike you, putting a bullet into it is a bad idea. You do not want to be shooting into the ground that close to where you stand. Slowly moving away is less likely to provoke a strike than going through the motions of pulling out a weapon and aiming it.

It seems to me that some people like to go through the motions of pretending that the sorts of snakes found in the United States are so lethal that going out into the woods is some sort of badass adventure. It's not. Snakebites are rare, and almost always because of foolishness on the part of the bitten person.

Just leave the snakes alone.

And the dogs, too.

Old 10-03-2020, 08:22 PM

4,192 posts, read 2,514,758 times
The data I found is from the 1950's and 1960's. My guess is the numbers were higher then since we were more rural and a lot of the habitat is gone. Snake bits in general in VA were 5 per 100,000 people per year. Rattlesnakes were 33%; copperheads were 28%; the rest were not identified. Thus in VA today, on this data, albeit old, there would be 80 bites per year in the entire state. I don't worry about snakes, I worry about black widow spiders, but you have to be a pretty good aim to get one of them. I do see snakes back in the garden area. They wouldn't be there without something to eat, let them get all the mice and chipmunks they want.

Old 10-03-2020, 08:58 PM

6,025 posts, read 3,745,017 times
Snakes don't always give a warning before striking and there are many situations in which the person may not see the snake in time to avoid being bitten. Many "city people" think that the only way a person gets bit by a snake is if they are messing around with the snake. Not true.

You can be walking down a trail in the woods, or gathering firewood, or simply walking into a barn or outbuilding and step close enough to a venomous snake to be bitten without even knowing the snake is there.

If you're walking through tall grass or through the woods with all the leaves, sticks, bushes, rocks, and logs that are there, it's not possible to always see whether there is a snake within striking distance of where you step. Uninformed city folks apparently think that farms and rural land is as flat and open as a city parking lot, but that simply isn't the case. If they would get out of their living room and get out in the countryside where the snakes are, they might begin to realize that snakes can't always be avoided or seen in advance.

Therefore, since snakes often can't be avoided or seen in advance, it makes sense to reduce poisonous snake populations in areas that are frequented by humans and their pets. Black snakes and other non-poisonous snakes are just fine with me, and I would guess that they will eat just as many rodents as the poisonous snakes without the danger to humans and pets.

Old 10-03-2020, 11:49 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times
Why are some people so uncaring about public safety for both people and pets that stay home in their yard, that they would want no one to kill dangerous stray dogs feral or pets running in packs and going back to being wild animals around people and pets while in their pack.

They care more about dogs, than they do the safety of people. When i was a small child my parents, younger brother and I had just returned from Saturday grocery shopping, when a wild and later found to be rabid dog, attacked our car and we could not get out of it. My dad finally drove up on the front porch across the front of our ranch house, and did not leave room for dog go get between car and door. He crawled through the window and into the house, got a rifle and killed the dog. We had both feral and pets running in packs attacking our cattle, and even the free range chickens.

We would simply get out the .250/3000 scope mounted rifle, and no dog ever got away as we were very good shooters. From 11 to 19, I personally killed over 100 dogs attacking cattle and chasing chickens. If they had a tag, would call the county dog warden who would come out and take the dog to the owner, and give them a big fine for letting dogs run free. Also collected any damage done to our live stock.

And wild feral and uncontrolled dog packs, are dangerous not only in this country, but it is a world wide problem.\

https://dogbitesohio.com/problems-posed-by-stray-dogs/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...77&action=view

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...f&action=click

Any one that complains about people killing wild dogs, which may be great danger to people and animals, is one that cars more for wild dogs, than they do the safety of themselves and the public.

Old 10-04-2020, 09:23 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,800,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I guess what I'm asking, not being any kind of a hunter myself, never having carried a firearm - if you are carrying, because you think you might encounter a threat that needs regular solid rounds, and you also might encounter a threat that needs the shot shell, how do you make sure you have the shot shell when you need it (snake) and the solid round when you might need it (feral dogs, feral hogs, feral humans)?
You would put 2 rounds of the snakeshot in first firing order (rotate your cylinder so they will fire first) and follow these with 4 rounds of your preferred solid bullet. So if you run across a snake you are good. If you run into a large animal (or bad guy) just squeeze off the 2 snake rounds quickly - these will at least stun the target - and follow with the other rounds as needed.....

Old 10-04-2020, 09:52 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,800,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
What on earth for?

If a venomous snake is close enough to strike you, putting a bullet into it is a bad idea. You do not want to be shooting into the ground that close to where you stand. Slowly moving away is less likely to provoke a strike than going through the motions of pulling out a weapon and aiming it.

It seems to me that some people like to go through the motions of pretending that the sorts of snakes found in the United States are so lethal that going out into the woods is some sort of badass adventure. It's not. Snakebites are rare, and almost always because of foolishness on the part of the bitten person.

Just leave the snakes alone.

And the dogs, too.
So you live in the city then?.......never ran across a poisonous snake?.....or a wild animal that poses a threat to your neighbors/kids/animals?

The afore mentioned 'snake loads' are relatively safe to use at close range due to the small size of the pellets involved.

Tell us when was the last time you encountered a poisonous snake. I'm curious.....

Old 10-04-2020, 10:48 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Why are some people so uncaring about public safety for both people and pets that stay home in their yard, that they would want no one to kill dangerous stray dogs feral or pets running in packs and going back to being wild animals around people and pets while in their pack.

They care more about dogs, than they do the safety of people. When i was a small child my parents, younger brother and I had just returned from Saturday grocery shopping, when a wild and later found to be rabid dog, attacked our car and we could not get out of it. My dad finally drove up on the front porch across the front of our ranch house, and did not leave room for dog go get between car and door. He crawled through the window and into the house, got a rifle and killed the dog. We had both feral and pets running in packs attacking our cattle, and even the free range chickens.

We would simply get out the .250/3000 scope mounted rifle, and no dog ever got away as we were very good shooters. From 11 to 19, I personally killed over 100 dogs attacking cattle and chasing chickens. If they had a tag, would call the county dog warden who would come out and take the dog to the owner, and give them a big fine for letting dogs run free. Also collected any damage done to our live stock.

And wild feral and uncontrolled dog packs, are dangerous not only in this country, but it is a world wide problem.\

https://dogbitesohio.com/problems-posed-by-stray-dogs/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...f&action=click

Any one that complains about people killing wild dogs, which may be great danger to people and animals, is one that cars more for wild dogs, than they do the safety of themselves and the public.
I for one would be glad if more people killed dangerous free-roaming pets. Unlike most wild predators, feral dogs are not afraid of people. They might be afraid of being captured by people but willing to attack if someone doesn’t let them do as they please. The most recent sheriff’s report here listed two cases of loose dogs killing someone else’s chickens and one of a a vicious loose pair attacking—and killing—someone else’s dog. Dogs running around in groups, and anything more than ONE dog is a group, are potentially dangerous. Never, ever turn your back on a strange dog or even a familiar one that is iffy or schizo.

I assume that any uninvited dog on our property is up to no good. We do not encourage any to come over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living