Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 01:12 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Nice story, bro. But just a story. I have been shooting competitively for 40+ years, know national champions, and have watched a lot of really good people shoot. No one hits a quarter every time from 10 feet from the hip. The trick shooters seldom miss, but they are making the same shot at the same distance with the same pistol they've practiced with 100,000 times. Put them in the woods without a precisely measure distance, and they will miss a lot of shots.
Not a story, but the truth. The old man was an old world gunman, and was an excellent teacher. When I could consistently hit a wild canary from the hip shooting them out of a huge cherry tree, hitting a quarter at 10 feet from the hip is much easier.

I used to hunt jackrabbits, and shot running jack rabbits from the hip with both a pistol and rifle. I was a good shot with sights, but for closer work I was more accurate snap shooting from the hip than shooting with sights.

When I was in Navy Boot Camp we spent one day on the rifle range. We had to shoot one clip from the standing position, one from the kneeling and one from the prone positions at about 200 yards. I just threw up the rifle in the standing position and emptied it rapid fire. The Marine Gunnery Sargent giving me the test flipped out and said even he a wearer of the Marksman Badge could not shoot that fast and put them all in the bulls eye. When they checked the target, it came back up with them waving the flag that said all in the bulls eye. He just shook his head, and said forget the other two clips because if I could shoot like that from the shoulder, it was just a waste of time and ammunition to do the other two tests and I was passed.

Later to have flight duty, I had to qualify with a .45 auto. I shot first, and missed the target hitting all 4 sides of it. He gave me another pistol, and sent me down the line to practice. Emptied the clip into the bulls eye. Other gunny sent me back with the pistol to the first one, and I told him the problem was the pistol was worn out. Said could not happen, and to prove me wrong shot a clip and did as bad as I did. I then shot with the other pistol rapid fire and all in the bullseye. He threw that pistol I used first into the garbage to be destroyed, not even sending it in for service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 12:48 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,335,748 times
OK, OK, OK, we get it, you're freaking Annie Oakley reincarnated.

There are a lot of people who are not crack shots but think they might need to dispose of a venomous snake or feral creature with a handgun someday, and who recognize that they aren't crack shots.

What would you advise them? Stand there and get bitten?

Old 10-12-2020, 12:50 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,551,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I could possibly understand the danger of feral dogs, but what danger to humans do feral cats present? At the very least they can help control white-footed mice, which are a vector for deer ticks.
Our town got some grant money to set out traps for the feral cats, then neutered them then released them.

Old 10-20-2020, 01:49 PM

782 posts, read 1,357,466 times
Default another misguided, uniformed post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
What on earth for?

If a venomous snake is close enough to strike you, putting a bullet into it is a bad idea. You do not want to be shooting into the ground that close to where you stand. Slowly moving away is less likely to provoke a strike than going through the motions of pulling out a weapon and aiming it.

It seems to me that some people like to go through the motions of pretending that the sorts of snakes found in the United States are so lethal that going out into the woods is some sort of badass adventure. It's not. Snakebites are rare, and almost always because of foolishness on the part of the bitten person.

Just leave the snakes alone.

And the dogs, too.

From your pseudonym, I assume you're from Minnesota where most snakes are harmless; in fact there are 2 venomous snakes and these are rarely encountered in your state.

In Georgia, snakes are located throughout the state; 6 species being venomous and the most dangerous being the Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake. It is common in middle and in south Georgia (where I live).

Excerpt taken from Georgia DNR website:

" killing non-venomous snakes is illegal in Georgia. ... Venomous snakes, although beneficial, are not protected since they may pose a threat to humans."

Old 10-20-2020, 11:37 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,585,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

Ok if these dogs actually attacked, sure shoot away. Otherwise, let them be. There are just wild animals. In our area deer are pests and hazards. Too many deer here
You don't know the difference between feral dogs who are by definition dangerous and will rip your body to shreds, maim, and kill you especially in packs, and gentle deer?

Old 10-21-2020, 07:34 AM

23,602 posts, read 70,446,439 times
Lest there be any doubt about dogs in packs:

https://www.wbrc.com/2020/10/19/woma...walker-county/

Old 10-22-2020, 10:05 AM

To add to the above^ According to the sheriff, her foot was completely torn off and her wounds were severe. People in the area were known to let their dogs roam free, many of them large breed dogs, and only some of the dogs have been impounded so far. The Jasper area is one I'm familiar with. I'm wondering if the dog population there will suddenly shrink...

Old 10-22-2020, 03:36 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
To add to the above^ According to the sheriff, her foot was completely torn off and her wounds were severe. People in the area were known to let their dogs roam free, many of them large breed dogs, and only some of the dogs have been impounded so far. The Jasper area is one I'm familiar with. I'm wondering if the dog population there will suddenly shrink...
No idea on the type of breeds of the dog pack?

Old 10-22-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
No idea on the type of breeds of the dog pack?
None that I saw in the news. I could guess, but there is a difference in what racoon hunters keep and what those using dogs for other purposes keep. I'll leave it at that.

Old 10-22-2020, 05:26 PM

45,426 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
None that I saw in the news. I could guess, but there is a difference in what racoon hunters keep and what those using dogs for other purposes keep. I'll leave it at that.
When we had feral dog packs here the breeds were a mix of whatever the rural pioneers bought and let loose because they "were in the country now".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living