Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 07:13 PM

261 posts, read 189,642 times

Advertisements

I once lived in a town in Central Ohio that had hard water. When I walked by a plumbing shop they had a window display of pipe samples which had been cut on a diagonal. These pipes were in iron and copper and filled with mineral elements such that their 3/4 and 1/2 inch diameters had about 1/8 of an inch still open so water could flow thru them.
Just plugged up plain and simple.

Water softeners were a hot item in that area which wasn't served by city water.

I later learned that people there had been used to replaceing their entire domestic plumbing at least once every 10 or so years before water softeners became common.

It sounds like you have need for a softener. There are companies that will come and install one for you and deliver salt brine tanks as needed so you don't have to do anything except enjoy country living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2020, 07:18 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewel City Joe View Post
I once lived in a town in Central Ohio that had hard water. When I walked by a plumbing shop they had a display of pipe samples in a window display which had been cut on a diagonal. These pipes were in iron or copper and filled with mineral elements such that their 3/4 and 1/2 inch diameters had about 1/8 of an inch
open so that water could flow thru it.

Water softeners were a hot item in that area that wasn't served by city water.

I later learned that people there had replaced their entire domestic plumbing at least once every 10 or so years before water softeners became common.

It sounds like you have need of a softener. There are companies that will come and install one for you and deliver salt brine tanks as needed so you don't have to do anything except enjoy country living.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:58 AM

Yes, and this is what they look like.

If you are on well water in such areas and have an automatic drip coffee maker, you may need to be
running vinegar into it and allowing it to sit overnight once a week to dissolve this kind of scale. Otherwise, buy a new coffee maker when it starts taking 15 minutes to run a pot of coffee cause once it is too full of scale it's hard to salvage it. The cost & operation of a water softener is way cheaper than pipe replacement and constant appliance
replacement.

Where I lived had a lot of ceramic industries in that part of the state.

Last edited by Jewel City Joe; 12-01-2020 at 10:11 AM..

Old 12-01-2020, 11:59 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:

If you are on well water in such areas and have an automatic drip coffee maker, you may need to be
running vinegar into it and allowing it to sit overnight once a week to dissolve this kind of scale. Otherwise, buy a new coffee maker when it starts taking 15 minutes to run a pot of coffee cause once it is too full of scale it's hard to salvage it. The cost & operation of a water softener is way cheaper than pipe replacement and constant appliance
replacement.

Coffee maker? What is that?

Stove top pot for cowboy coffee here.

Old 12-01-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:

replacement.

Looks like someone's arteries with high cholersterol.

Old 12-01-2020, 04:27 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

But you'll probably still need to clean deposits out of that too. Vinegar will still help.

Old 12-01-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:

So WHAT IS stopve top pot cowboy coffee?

Old 12-02-2020, 07:21 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
So WHAT IS stopve top pot cowboy coffee?
I use one of these, only I don't even use the perc basket. I just fill it up with water from the tap, the whole pot. Take a cup or so of ground coffee from the can, dump it on top of the water, close the lid, put it on the stove top, let it boil. Sometimes I drop a shot glass of cold water down the spout, sometimes not. Serve directly from the pot. The pot I use doesn't have any sight glass at the top.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...CABEgJrTPD_BwE

My biggest problem with that pot is washing out the used coffee grounds stuck to the sides, down in the bottom. I suppose there are hard water deposits down there on the bottom as well, now black. One of the things I tout, believe, that it is the perfect recyclable coffee maker, that when its life is done, it is all metal and that can be recycled.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:16 AM

I have one of those except mine is blue with white speckled enamel. I keep it in my camping rig for making
coffee by the campfire.

What my Grandad taught me to do when boiling coffee (not using it as a percolator) was when the coffee
would be done, to take a broken egg shell or two (saved from breakfast) and drop into the water so they sink. This settles the grounds to the bottom so that if you pour carefully you won't get grounds in your cup.

There is a product called "Dip It" that works great for getting that rancid black oil out of the pot. You just add it to the water and boil it for awhile and wipe it out with paper towels. Your coffee may taste better
after cleaning that stuff out the pot. This product comes as a liquid or dry powder and for different types of coffee makers.

When I use mine on the camp fire I carry a container of powdered laundry soap. I use the soap powder
along with a little water to make a paste and coat the outside bottom and sides of the pot and let that dry. Then add the water and coffee into the pot and place it on the fire. When I'm done making coffee
for the camping trip I can wash the pot so that all the soot on that dry soapy paste washes off.

When you make that soap paste you just smear it on moderately thick with your fingers.

Old 12-02-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I use one of these, only I don't even use the perc basket. I just fill it up with water from the tap, the whole pot. Take a cup or so of ground coffee from the can, dump it on top of the water, close the lid, put it on the stove top, let it boil. Sometimes I drop a shot glass of cold water down the spout, sometimes not. Serve directly from the pot. The pot I use doesn't have any sight glass at the top.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...CABEgJrTPD_BwE

My biggest problem with that pot is washing out the used coffee grounds stuck to the sides, down in the bottom. I suppose there are hard water deposits down there on the bottom as well, now black. One of the things I tout, believe, that it is the perfect recyclable coffee maker, that when its life is done, it is all metal and that can be recycled.
tHANK you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living