Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 07:24 PM

475 posts, read 406,685 times

Advertisements

If you are planning to move to a rural area, talk with county law enforcement and let them help you manage to what works for their area. They are normally willing to help in your preparations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2021, 07:42 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
You should be able to get a landline run to the property. I bought rural property I lived on alone, and I had a landline run to it wayyyyy back when.

Option 2, can't you get a satellite phone?

I'm confused. Are you worried about the dog being alone? Or did you just mean your wife?

I agree on the gate. I lived alone and was still in my 30's off a main road and local men would pull into my driveway and knock on my door, drunk, after the bars closed hoping to get lucky on their way home. I had a dog barking her head off (just a scotty dog), but I also had the landline. I just lived in an Airstream trailer on the property at the time, but I had put in all utilities.

I'd yell through the door to go home to their wife and say in one minute, I'm calling the sheriff and your wife.

My neighbor was an acre away and wouldn't have heard me yell.

You could also get some kind of really loud siren/alarm.

I did not have a gun, not even a shotgun at the time.

Even drunk guys are scared of their wives, though. But, a gate would have solved my problem. I had easement issues with the driveway and the next door property (shared driveway), so it wasn't an option for me.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:35 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,081,026 times
We have a very long driveway.
The other week I installed a “Driveway Alarm”.

It’s a wireless thing that rings a portable doorbell box 3-4 hundred feet away.
I like it because I now know in real time when someone comes down our road for a delivery drop off or to do contract work for us.
It’s pretty cool because I can take the bell thing into my backyard while I am gardening or whatever.

Cost like $15 at Harbor Freight Tools.
Money well spent.

We are also gun and dog people and that 200 foot warning bell is a nice supplement.

Old 03-20-2021, 09:03 PM

1,564 posts, read 2,797,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
If you're rural and don't have that many people around you, why are you so afraid of someone breaking in? Since you're already planning on getting a security system, why not just relax until it's put in?

I'm a big city girl. I'm flabbergasted as to why rural folks always seem so scared. But hey, if "liberals" scare you, that pretty much says it all.
The place we live in the city (200,000 pop.) has never been broken into. The rural place I had in the most sparsely populated county in the state at the time was broken into once and miscellaneous bits of property often disappeared. Country folk aren’t scared, they are prepared. Bad things happen outside the city limits too, and you don’t have neighbors on the the other side of your wall to call the law for you.

Who said country folk are scared of liberals? Country folks just don’t like change too much and too many liberals seem hell bent on changing things to what they just moved away from. Nobody understands why, but it just happens.

Old 03-21-2021, 04:59 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
I don't get all the fear people have and their first thought is they need a gun. I live in a very small, very remote village (30 miles to the nearest grocery store). My hunting guns are locked in a safe in the basement. They are for hunting, not to foster fear. I never, ever lock my door when I'm home.

I also never lock the door at my condo in Florida. No guns there, as I can't hunt there.

Why are so many so fearful. I don't get it.

Old 03-21-2021, 05:45 AM

2,718 posts, read 2,217,945 times
Again it is not that we are scared while we are there. My wife is more concerned about someone breaking in while we are not there mainly for our Yorkie. There are houses between 100 to 200 yards away, so we are not out there by ourselves. Even while traveling in our motorhome I have a camera setup where she can check on her when we are out for very long. I have already contacted several security firms while at a local Home & Garden show. I want to figure out also how to get lighting outside. I noticed the builder at his homes being built had wildlife cameras mounted on tress for security in case something was stolen from them while the houses were being built. I don't really want to fence in the entire .39 lot being there is a chance we will be seeing deer out there.

Old 03-21-2021, 06:47 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,130,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I don't get all the fear people have and their first thought is they need a gun. I live in a very small, very remote village (30 miles to the nearest grocery store). My hunting guns are locked in a safe in the basement. They are for hunting, not to foster fear. I never, ever lock my door when I'm home.

I also never lock the door at my condo in Florida. No guns there, as I can't hunt there.

Why are so many so fearful. I don't get it.

Ever watch the news? Ever look at statistics on how often murder/assault/theft/rape, etc. happen?
Many of us have already been victims.

Oh.. and actually, I'm not afraid. I'm prepared. Own insurance?

I was further out from a grocery store than you and there was no "village" to watch over me.

Old 03-21-2021, 09:41 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Ever watch the news? Ever look at statistics on how often murder/assault/theft/rape, etc. happen?
Many of us have already been victims.

Oh.. and actually, I'm not afraid. I'm prepared. Own insurance?

I was further out from a grocery store than you and there was no "village" to watch over me.
Theft may be an issue. Murder? Rape?

Most murders occur between people who know each other, and in most cases, many are involved in a criminal life. Rarely are random people murdered, and you know that.

Rape? Really? How many rapists go to a remote area to find a victim?

Is someone stealing property worth taking a life? Heck, even if you are religious, there is nothing in any scriptures or holy books that have death as a sentence for theft. If you're picking up sticks on the Sabbath, yeah, you deserve death, but not for theft. Look it up. Or if your a Muslim, nor does the Koran.

Why would you feel, if you do, that someone stealing property from you deserves a death sentence?

Old 03-21-2021, 11:24 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
If you're rural and don't have that many people around you, why are you so afraid of someone breaking in? Since you're already planning on getting a security system, why not just relax until it's put in?

I'm a big city girl. I'm flabbergasted as to why rural folks always seem so scared. But hey, if "liberals" scare you, that pretty much says it all.
Not scared. Prepared.

And prevention is ALWAYS better than the alternative, no matter where you live.

Crime hits all kinds of places. Maybe when meth, coke, and opioid use was not in rural areas, people did not become victims as often. But even then, I bet low lifes still stole tools, hay, vehicles, and they still killed or attacked people.

And now we gotta add violent political statement-makers to the list of low lifes. Oh, joy.

Old 03-21-2021, 11:26 AM

23,602 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Again it is not that we are scared while we are there. My wife is more concerned about someone breaking in while we are not there mainly for our Yorkie. There are houses between 100 to 200 yards away, so we are not out there by ourselves. Even while traveling in our motorhome I have a camera setup where she can check on her when we are out for very long. I have already contacted several security firms while at a local Home & Garden show. I want to figure out also how to get lighting outside. I noticed the builder at his homes being built had wildlife cameras mounted on tress for security in case something was stolen from them while the houses were being built. I don't really want to fence in the entire .39 lot being there is a chance we will be seeing deer out there.
Sorry, but I gotta chuckle at all this.

First, it appears that you aren't moving to the country, but to a lot in a development that is in a rural area. Your concerns are very much in line with something my retired police GF has mentioned many times. City folk move rural and then expect all of the services that their taxes in the city paid for - quick police protection, fire departments with firefighters waiting at the station for any call, city sewer, and so on.

Some people thrive in rural settings, others don't. I've nothing against either type, but just remember that the individual has to fit the environment, not the other way around.

That brings up the second chuckle - I don't think I have ever seen a single yorkie as the pet of a country person. They might exist, but hounds, collies, bugles, heelers, and sheps are the rule - for a reason. Country dogs are generally there for a purpose. A yorkie is no more in danger than a parakeet, and frankly, about as useful. I guess you could set it out to chase voles if it had an inclination.

Moving away from a place because liberals have made it more dangerous. Yeah... Go to any local rural jail or prison and do a survey of how many prisoners espouse liberal values and how many are conservative. I think you will be shocked that the thieves, meth-heads, drunks, and con artists hold conservative values, most have found Jesus, and will tell you that they only have this one little problem. When sober and just released, many appear like outstanding citizens.

If you need security so much that you are afraid for your yorkie, you might find a gated community more to your liking. The country has coyotes and foxes and other critters that would have a small dog for lunch. Just sayin...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living