Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2021, 06:28 AM

9,445 posts, read 5,208,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I am about to introduce honey bees to our Washington property.
I hear that bears like honey.
This might be a new learning experience .
Bears like bee larvae......that's what attracts them. Honey is the icing on the cake.
Put up a bear fence if you know there are bears in your area. They will destroy an apiary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 09:03 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,370,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
Country folks just don’t like change too much and too many liberals seem hell bent on changing things to what they just moved away from. Nobody understands why, but it just happens.
Please share with us what changes liberals make that actually are having an impact on your own safety? Was it the line of trees they planted to hug? Was it the increase in taxes to improve the public school system and roads that is causing you to fear for your own safety? Or maybe it was the vaccination program required to keep children safe before they can be enrolled in school? Please enlighten us.

Old 04-09-2021, 09:13 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,370,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Theft may be an issue. Murder? Rape?

Most murders occur between people who know each other, and in most cases, many are involved in a criminal life. Rarely are random people murdered, and you know that.

Rape? Really? How many rapists go to a remote area to find a victim?

Is someone stealing property worth taking a life? Heck, even if you are religious, there is nothing in any scriptures or holy books that have death as a sentence for theft. If you're picking up sticks on the Sabbath, yeah, you deserve death, but not for theft. Look it up. Or if your a Muslim, nor does the Koran.

Why would you feel, if you do, that someone stealing property from you deserves a death sentence?
People who watch the news and watch scary movies, they continue to repeat these stories over and over. It is the fear they have a real problem with. I actually look at the crime stats offered by the FBI, and in many rural areas the crime doesn't even exist. Which explains why the law enforcement there is so small or part-time.

People with guns have big talk, but they have no idea what it is like to kill someone with a gun. They watch movies and think that shooting another person to death is nothing more than taking out the trash. There is a reason why some people are suicidal after killing someone with a gun, it has a real harmful psychology effect on doing this. But they watch Die Hard movies or whatever, and think they can pull the trigger and get on with life never giving another thought to it. Get a monitored alarm system installed and live in peace, not sitting there wondering how many steps away you are from grabbing a gun. That's no way to live.

Old 04-09-2021, 01:18 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,009,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
People who watch the news and watch scary movies, they continue to repeat these stories over and over. It is the fear they have a real problem with. I actually look at the crime stats offered by the FBI, and in many rural areas the crime doesn't even exist. Which explains why the law enforcement there is so small or part-time.

People with guns have big talk, but they have no idea what it is like to kill someone with a gun. They watch movies and think that shooting another person to death is nothing more than taking out the trash. There is a reason why some people are suicidal after killing someone with a gun, it has a real harmful psychology effect on doing this. But they watch Die Hard movies or whatever, and think they can pull the trigger and get on with life never giving another thought to it. Get a monitored alarm system installed and live in peace, not sitting there wondering how many steps away you are from grabbing a gun. That's no way to live.
Kids on video games too. The gamers.

Old 04-09-2021, 01:19 PM

Quote:
please share with us what changes liberals make that actually are having an impact on your own safety? Was it the line of trees they planted to hug? Was it the increase in taxes to improve the public school system and roads that is causing you to fear for your own safety? Or maybe it was the vaccination program required to keep children safe before they can be enrolled in school? Please enlighten us.
:d

Old 04-09-2021, 07:41 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Quote:

*shrug* There is a difference between the poseurs and those of us with sense. I spent extra for a laser sight on the pistol I just bought - not because I need the laser to aim, but because it is as effective a deterrent to someone NOT high on drugs as a warning shot.

I take my cue from an old cashier I employed at a movie theatre in a crime ridden area. When a young buck came up and demanded the box office receipts, she just sighed and said "Don't make me pull my weapon." No drama, no fuss, no backing down, just a resigned "Lord, you are stupid. No go away and learn your lesson and don't bother me."

I have a CC permit. I have situational awareness, and I can and will shoot to kill under certain conditions. I also know that the fallout from that would be intense if I wasn't dead to rights. As a gun shop salesperson said, "If you fire to kill, you either screw it up and die, or you face a $50,000 cost of an attorney and related costs." You de-escalate however possible, and only use deadly force as a last resort in a life threatening situation. Shooting an escaping thief does not count. Shooting into an occupied vehicle doesn't count. Facing down a drug addled idiot who thinks a laser is a cat toy while they advance to beat you counts.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
*shrug* There is a difference between the poseurs and those of us with sense. I spent extra for a laser sight on the pistol I just bought - not because I need the laser to aim, but because it is as effective a deterrent to someone NOT high on drugs as a warning shot.

I take my cue from an old cashier I employed at a movie theatre in a crime ridden area. When a young buck came up and demanded the box office receipts, she just sighed and said "Don't make me pull my weapon." No drama, no fuss, no backing down, just a resigned "Lord, you are stupid. No go away and learn your lesson and don't bother me."

I have a CC permit. I have situational awareness, and I can and will shoot to kill under certain conditions. I also know that the fallout from that would be intense if I wasn't dead to rights. As a gun shop salesperson said, "If you fire to kill, you either screw it up and die, or you face a $50,000 cost of an attorney and related costs." You de-escalate however possible, and only use deadly force as a last resort in a life threatening situation. Shooting an escaping thief does not count. Shooting into an occupied vehicle doesn't count. Facing down a drug addled idiot who thinks a laser is a cat toy while they advance to beat you counts.
Either way it's gonna cost alot of $$$ to get an attorney.

Old 04-10-2021, 08:00 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,669,274 times
Thumbs down The alternative is being dead, and you can't take it with you.

The topic is rural home defense in an area where police response can be many minutes, if not hours, that's a very different scenario than out in public.

My town has a homicide rate on the order of one murder per decade (usually a domestic dispute), but the regional violent crime rate is non-zero, and there've been a couple of horrific home invasions in the general area just in recent memory (both cases eventually solved with convictions) -- police and prosecutors are pretty supportive of home defense whether it's against bears or other two-legged predators, when help is miles away, they say to do what you gotta to to keep your family safe.

Somebody kicking your door down? You won't even spend a night in jail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Facing down a drug addled idiot who thinks a laser is a cat toy while they advance to beat you counts.
Either way it's gonna cost alot of $$$ to get an attorney.
The alternative is being dead/disabled, and you can't take it with you.

If you don't have the four figures to retain an attorney (or you live in a state/county where they like to persecute cases of self-defense), then consider one of the various CCW insurance options.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 04-10-2021 at 08:11 AM..

Old 04-10-2021, 07:37 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,041,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
We live down a long private road. Put up a mercury vapor light that is on all the time. I prefer them to motion lights.

Fence it and put up a gate that is locked all the time. I like a gate I can see from the house so you can see if there is someone there.

Get a big dog.

Get a gun and learn to shoot it, and when.

Enjoy the quiet. Hopefully she'll get used to it and enjoy it out there.
We lived out in the country with a mercury vapor light.

It was a advertisement that there was a very nice house at the end of that road. It was a rental, so it took me almost a MONTH to find the off switch.

The house "disappeared" and nobody knew that it was there once that evil light was off!!!

That is the best security.

Old 04-11-2021, 05:46 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,211,261 times
At our new home which is the first in a new neighborhood I would like to swap out the two lights at the garage into one's that picks up motion also. Are there lights like this that I can turn on when I want them on and turn off at bedtime, but the motion light would still kick on? I know most have a switch at the light, but I don't want to switch it manually every night. If not my best option would be a solar powered motion detector light I could put on the roof fascia. One that will ding or something when it kicks on would be a plus.

In order to put in driveway sensors I would have to put in posts to put them on. One thought is to put them on the street right before our house being no one else is down there yet but us. I could put them on trees for this. The builder for our house has wildlife cameras at each of his houses being built. I may get some of these also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living