Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2021, 09:47 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,675,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
At our new home which is the first in a new neighborhood I would like to swap out the two lights at the garage into one's that picks up motion also. Are there lights like this that I can turn on when I want them on and turn off at bedtime, but the motion light would still kick on? I know most have a switch at the light, but I don't want to switch it manually every night.
Your electrician might be able to just add a motion sensor into your existing garage light housing?

Most motion-sensor lights are configured so if you just turn the switch on, they come up in motion mode, but if you flick it on-off-on quickly, it goes to constant on.

If the physical location of the switch is a problem, consider a replacement remotely-controlled switch, many now have both a portable physical RF switch as well as app control from your phone. Personally, I prefer z-wave switches and sensors, but there are several ecosystems to chose from.

Quote:
One that will ding or something when it kicks on would be a plus
If you go with a "smart" motion sensor/floodlight, the motion sensing can ring a chime or an app on your phone. Beware that many smart switches/lights/apps are cloud-tethered to Internet services, and can delay reaction for seconds or even minutes as they relay all their communications from a service which is likely hosted thousands of miles away. And if the Internet goes down, the app stops working entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
We live down a long private road. Put up a mercury vapor light that is on all the time. I prefer them to motion lights.
There have been a number of interesting studies on the impact of lighting on crime, including the psychological impact of running across a motion-triggered light. Even better is unpredictable responses which also, for example, turns off your fake-tv and then pops on the kitchen light after a random delay, and arms the auto-turret.

Also it doesn't have to be an either-or situation. I have dimmable floodlights, can run them at half brightness if I want to, and they still pop up to 100% based on any signal from any of several Z-wave motion sensors. Because the automation is executed by a local hub, it works with or without Internet, as long as there is power.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 04-11-2021 at 09:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 11:05 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Another option is to have both the wired MDL garage and house corner lights, plus put some inexpensive solar-powered portable lights in various places elsewhere. They are easy to move around.

Our MDL system allows switching off the lights, and it can be set to trigger either on a schedule or upon the sensors detecting “o’ dark time”. I set it so that the lights stay off during the daytime. Some situations (such as in unlit walkway between buildings), people might have them trigger at any time.

A combination of MDL systems both electrical and battery-powered, and ideally some of them moveable, could cover a lot of area.

Old 04-16-2021, 03:31 AM

2,718 posts, read 2,219,341 times
I am not checking into Ring to compare it with SimpliSafe. One question I can't get an answer for is will Ring work without wifi or internet. I know the cameras and ring doorbell will not, but will the security system work by itself. SimpliSafe does work with wifi or internet. My internet is a hotspot and when I travel with my RV it goes with me. Ring does have more options for floodlights and cameras to use when I am home.

Old 04-17-2021, 09:26 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,992,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I am not checking into Ring to compare it with SimpliSafe. One question I can't get an answer for is will Ring work without wifi or internet. I know the cameras and ring doorbell will not, but will the security system work by itself. SimpliSafe does work with wifi or internet. My internet is a hotspot and when I travel with my RV it goes with me. Ring does have more options for floodlights and cameras to use when I am home.
Quote:
What Happens When Your Ring Alarm Goes Offline
Your Ring Alarm is designed to safeguard your most valuable possession, your home. Because of this, your Ring Alarm comes with a pair of emergency systems that will continue to protect your home even if circumstances arise that would ordinarily knock the system offline.

Note: If the Base Station goes offline, you will be unable to access or control your devices through the app, but your device will remain armed, and the Ring Alarm siren will still function.

Cellular backup

Your Ring Alarm usually communicates with you or your monitoring service through the internet via wifi or an Ethernet cable. Any time your Base Station loses its connection to the internet, regardless of the cause, a cellular backup system kicks in that will allow the system to continue to monitor your home.

Note: You will need to have a Ring Protect Plus plan to use the cellular backup system.
https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/ar...m-Goes-Offline

Old 04-21-2021, 06:39 PM

2,718 posts, read 2,219,341 times
For now I am installing two motion detector lights and a driveway motion detector. After we get settled in the new house I will revisit getting Ring.

Old 04-25-2021, 11:25 AM

6,120 posts, read 4,611,100 times
I'm just curious with all the fortification, the big snarling dogs, and the weapons, how do people who live way out in the country even get to know their neighbors nowadays, or more precisely how do new neighbors even get to know people who live closeby? When someone who means no harm wants to even meet someone with all of those intimidating barriers?

Yeah, I know there is church, which is sorta the social connection in a lot of rural communities, but what if the new neighbors aren't of the same faith?

Old 04-25-2021, 02:42 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I'm just curious with all the fortification, the big snarling dogs, and the weapons, how do people who live way out in the country even get to know their neighbors nowadays, or more precisely how do new neighbors even get to know people who live closeby? When someone who means no harm wants to even meet someone with all of those intimidating barriers?

Yeah, I know there is church, which is sorta the social connection in a lot of rural communities, but what if the new neighbors aren't of the same faith?
I have two neighbors who weld, after I brought each of them odd jobs to work on, then they began inviting us to cookouts and parties they were hosting.

We barter with locals for corn whiskey, and if you bring a quart of small batch artisanal corn whiskey to a party, you quickly become everyone's friend.

Then a garbage company from the NJ mob [called Casella] wanted to setup a garbage incinerator/landfill in our town, so townhall meetings started happening every month to fight the mobsters. I go active with those meetings and hearings. After that suddenly everyone in town knew me.

[our town has 235 people, Population-density is under 10 people per square-mile].

If you find farm dogs 'intimidating' maybe you best ought to stay in the city. I know a lot of people who believe that their dog is the best judge of a person's character. If the dog does not vouch for your character, then you are not welcome.

Old 04-25-2021, 02:44 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
Rottweilers are good judges of characters/unwanted visitors

Old 04-25-2021, 03:06 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,611,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have two neighbors who weld, after I brought each of them odd jobs to work on, then they began inviting us to cookouts and parties they were hosting.

We barter with locals for corn whiskey, and if you bring a quart of small batch artisanal corn whiskey to a party, you quickly become everyone's friend.

Then a garbage company from the NJ mob [called Casella] wanted to setup a garbage incinerator/landfill in our town, so townhall meetings started happening every month to fight the mobsters. I go active with those meetings and hearings. After that suddenly everyone in town knew me.

[our town has 235 people, Population-density is under 10 people per square-mile].

If you find farm dogs 'intimidating' maybe you best ought to stay in the city. I know a lot of people who believe that their dog is the best judge of a person's character. If the dog does not vouch for your character, then you are not welcome.
It's very nice (and lucky!) that you have that sense of community.

Part of my years growing up were lived in a country setting, with no malls, Walmarts, etc., and so I was around chickens, cows, horses, turkeys, goats, and yes, big farm dogs too. In fact one of my neighbors German Shepherds took to me and we were buddies going down to a nearby lake. And though I may not have been originally from there (I did have distance family ties to the area), people were very friendly in that setting at that time.

My comment was that the impression I get now when I go to various places in rural settings is that the population seems more standoffish and distrustful of "outsiders" than a few decades ago when I was younger. What I was tieing to the discussion was that these various high security measures are perhaps a symptom of being more fearful and distrustful of people. I just don't remember that being as prevalent of an emphasis 3-4 decades ago.

People back then hunted much more than they do now (that was basically a standard after Thanksgiving lunch activity), so of course people had firearms but I just don't think people were as aggressive in making it known that they thought they were necessary to use for protection against other people. Rural society and the popular culture that surrounds it has changed in many ways, in my opinion, and not necessarily for the better.

Of course, I get the impression it varies and one area can be very hospitable but the rural area in the next county over can be unwelcoming and distrustful.

Last edited by Jowel; 04-25-2021 at 03:15 PM..

Old 04-25-2021, 03:08 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
Nothing stays the same. Change is always happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living