Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2021, 07:22 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Since living here, twice I have seen vehicles sitting in the roadside ditch upside down. Both times I called the sheriff's office and I was told that they would send a deputy out to look the next business day.

So long as there are no bodies in the wrecked cars, they do not send Law Enforcement to the scene on the same day. They will schedule it on the next business day.
Where is this at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 08:44 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Where is this at?
Rural Maine.

I live in an unorganized township [the majority of Maine townships are 'unorganized townships'] we have much lower taxes.

I live in the Southern half of Maine, about 20 miles North of Bangor.

Old 03-24-2021, 09:29 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,882,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Eastern coyote cross-bred with wolves on their return to New England via Canada, so they are larger and are sometimes known to pack hunt using wolf-like tactics.

Only real worry right now is our local bears are waking up, and man are they hungry.
(Photo Credit: TexasBowHunter)
Totally agree.Wehave them now with the snow pack down to about a foot. The sun softens the snow and at night with temps in the teens it hardens and turned into concrete. Boy the coyote can run.Love the pack calls at night.

Old 03-25-2021, 08:19 AM

374 posts, read 378,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
When I first came here shopping for land to buy. One realtor I met with, keeps a spare automobile parked at the airport with a key in the visor. He tells all his potential customers to freely use that car whenever they are in the area.

I doubt if there is a single house door that is locked in our township.

As for all of the dozens of former residents of your house, I am certain that none of them saw it as an issue.
Yeah, we don't either. I do have a passel of farm dogs of course. The main thing I worry about is that fox who has a den under my neighbor's stone wall. Once she pups she will be after my chickens again, to feed her family. Also the 'yotes are howling every night and I have to lock up my goats.

Oh, people? Yeah we see them periodically. Generally they stop and talk. The police chief comes by to check on the old deaf guy at the end of the road and make sure he's okay. This isn't exurbia, city ethics but with trees. That's where I moved from. Not going back there!

Old 03-25-2021, 09:04 AM

3,275 posts, read 1,751,783 times
Quote:
<snip>
Only real worry right now is our local bears are waking up, and man are they hungry.
I'm expecting Yogi & Booboo to show up any day now. Time to bring in the birdfeeders before they become bearfeeders. lol at the upside down bear like a squirrel on steroids.

Old 03-25-2021, 09:33 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,081,026 times
I am about to introduce honey bees to our Washington property.
I hear that bears like honey.
This might be a new learning experience .

Old 03-25-2021, 10:24 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Eastern coyote cross-bred with wolves on their return to New England via Canada, so they are larger and are sometimes known to pack hunt using wolf-like tactics.

LOL. Wow.
Here we just have to worry about the squirrels steeling bird seed. And maybe an occasional raccoon.

Old 03-25-2021, 10:31 AM

475 posts, read 406,685 times
Yeah, the picture looks like the bears have been cross-breeding with squirrels.

Old 03-26-2021, 10:19 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,081,026 times
One of my friends has a large acreage area in the mountains.
His place came with a tall fence around his garden area.
It’s like 12 feet tall.
He is also a city boy.

So he is talking to my wife on the phone while I was there and then my wife starts yelling at him asking him where his kid was at.

Apparently he told her that there were 2 chimpanzees climbing the fence and he didn’t know that you could keep chimps here.
Wifey informed him that those were 2 baby bears and momma bear was probably very close.
And yes his 4 year old son was down there.

Old 03-28-2021, 05:32 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpc123 View Post
Yeah, the picture looks like the bears have been cross-breeding with squirrels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living