Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 09:28 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Again it is not that we are scared while we are there. My wife is more concerned about someone breaking in while we are not there mainly for our Yorkie. There are houses between 100 to 200 yards away, so we are not out there by ourselves. Even while traveling in our motorhome I have a camera setup where she can check on her when we are out for very long. I have already contacted several security firms while at a local Home & Garden show. I want to figure out also how to get lighting outside. I noticed the builder at his homes being built had wildlife cameras mounted on tress for security in case something was stolen from them while the houses were being built. I don't really want to fence in the entire .39 lot being there is a chance we will be seeing deer out there.
I have found that good neighbors are the best security system. I live on a dead end country road. there are seven properties and about half are retired so are home at all hours of the day. They keep a watchful eye on the "traffic". Is it possible to get to know your neighbors and have them keep an eye out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2021, 09:34 AM

19,814 posts, read 9,376,760 times
I agree that one's degree of "paranoia" should depend on one's particular circumstances. We live in a town of less than 300 people on a country road with only six year-round residents on it, and we leave the doors unlocked unless we will be away for more than three hours. Sometimes we don't even lock all the doors before we go to bed. As we are 60 miles away from any town with more than 10,000 people and there are no towns within ten miles of us that have more than 1,500 people (and the the great majority of residents are retirees), we honestly don't feel the need for any more security than our Lab mix, who will bark at even the slightest disturbance.

Old 03-22-2021, 09:51 AM

37,471 posts, read 61,423,512 times
I started building this house in 2005. My wife moved into it in 2007. I made a big deal of giving her house keys to her new home. The front door has never been locked since that day.

I do not want to live anywhere that has crime.

Old 03-22-2021, 10:34 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,676,571 times
Angry Neither house attacked had an alarm, a dog, or defensive weapons (They now have all three)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I started building this house in 2005. My wife moved into it in 2007. I made a big deal of giving her house keys to her new home. The front door has never been locked since that day.

I do not want to live anywhere that has crime.
Doesn't matter how far out you are, sometimes crime comes to visit.

There's been two horrific "home invasion" attacks in my area in the past decade. One was local teens looking for a thrill, the other was outsiders who drove up from another state specifically seeking well-off residents to rob.

Old 03-22-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Doesn't matter how far out you are, sometimes crime comes to visit.

There's been two horrific "home invasion" attacks in my area in the past decade. One was local teens looking for a thrill, the other was outsiders who drove up from another state specifically seeking well-off residents to rob.
We have been here for 15 years, during this time the only 'home invasion' attacks have been Canadians who were upset that sex offenders live. So they researched the topic and found photos of sex offenders and their home addresses, then they drove down into the US, went to the home of a sex offender, knocked on the door, and when the sex offender answered the door the Canadian shot him.

Old 03-22-2021, 10:58 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I put in an offer on a new home that is about 200 yards off of a semi-main road in a new section. There are no street lights and no neighbors for now. I know my wife will be scared hearing noises at night. There is no phone service for now either. What would be the easiest and cost effective way to get her a sense of security at night?

My first thought was solar powered motion lights, but what other options are out there? We had SimpliSafe at our previous home, but we hardly ever used it due to the neighbors being so close that we trusted. She will want a system as quick as possible also due to the chance of a break in during the day while we are gone and our Yorkie being there by herself. The town itself is known for being very safe.
What do you mean there's no phone service? Are you talking landline or cell? If there's no landline, then forget any security system.

I do have to ask why you're moving to a place where your wife doesn't feel comfortable. Now you're worried about making her feel safe, but were when you decided to buy this property? A Yorkie doesn't make anyone feel safe. I had one. That girl barked at everything including herself. She wasn't a threat to anyone.

Old 03-22-2021, 11:28 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I agree that one's degree of "paranoia" should depend on one's particular circumstances. We live in a town of less than 300 people on a country road with only six year-round residents on it, and we leave the doors unlocked unless we will be away for more than three hours. Sometimes we don't even lock all the doors before we go to bed. As we are 60 miles away from any town with more than 10,000 people and there are no towns within ten miles of us that have more than 1,500 people (and the the great majority of residents are retirees), we honestly don't feel the need for any more security than our Lab mix, who will bark at even the slightest disturbance.
This is exactly how I feel. Same size town, about the same distance to a larger town, and 30 miles from any settlement with more than 200 people, which is also where we go grocery shopping.

Most comments here are made from paranoia, as you stated. When I read people consider them living in a remote area because house are 100 yards apart, I just shake my head.

Old 03-22-2021, 11:50 AM

2,719 posts, read 2,219,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
What do you mean there's no phone service? Are you talking landline or cell? If there's no landline, then forget any security system.

I do have to ask why you're moving to a place where your wife doesn't feel comfortable. Now you're worried about making her feel safe, but were when you decided to buy this property? A Yorkie doesn't make anyone feel safe. I had one. That girl barked at everything including herself. She wasn't a threat to anyone.
SimpliSafe is one security system that does not require a landline phone. There is phone service at the intersection about 100 yards away. I have not had a hardline phone in 10 years and if I have to get one just for a security system I will use SimpliSafe again.

Old 03-22-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
... Most comments here are made from paranoia, as you stated. When I read people consider them living in a remote area because house are 100 yards apart, I just shake my head.

Some people are so accustomed to living in a city that if they travel somewhere that houses are 100-yards apart they think that they are rural.

Old 03-22-2021, 12:18 PM

14,494 posts, read 12,134,812 times
I don't think I'm paranoid, nor am I more worried about crime than city people. I do think rural people are a lot more aware of the fact that we are on our own, no one is likely to hear or see anything until it's too late to help. Police will be a long ways away. So maybe we think more about protecting ourselves.

Most crime out here is thefts, but any thief who is willing to break in to an occupied home in the country has made some kind of a plan for dealing with me, so I rightly have one for them.

I don't understand anyone broadcasting to the world that they don't lock their doors and I don't think the thought makes any of us safer. Everyone I know does lock their doors, and it's not because there is a lot of crime, it's just common sense. I'm in the country, but so are a lot of people I wouldn't blindly invite in to my home.

To the OP... not sure any of us are doing a great job of answering your specific question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living