Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2021, 03:40 PM

19 posts, read 30,709 times

Advertisements

You don't need a big dog. The dog isn't there to protect you, he's there to warn you about prowlers so you can get ready to protect yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2021, 06:26 PM

2,718 posts, read 2,219,341 times
We are in the process of moving into the new house now. The first thing I plan on doing is changing out the deadbolts. One time when were in there while it was being built there was 3 keys in a drawer. We were only given two keys. There are extra keys somewhere. I changed out the code for the garage door the first day. I got two solar powered motion detectors lights and a driveway alarm. I have not installed them yet, but I plan on doing them when the moving containers are gone. I will have to dig out my extension ladder to do the motion detectors.

Old 04-26-2021, 03:01 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,322,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisMcCarthy View Post
You don't need a big dog. The dog isn't there to protect you, he's there to warn you about prowlers so you can get ready to protect yourself.
You don't have much experience with dogs if you believe this. The dogs I've had would attack an intruder and have. I do agree that everyone needs to protect themselves.

Old 04-26-2021, 07:13 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,676,571 times
Smile My little town has at least three public FB groups, and probably more private ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
how do people who live way out in the country even get to know their neighbors nowadays, or more precisely how do new neighbors even get to know people who live closeby? When someone who means no harm wants to even meet someone with all of those intimidating barriers?

Yeah, I know there is church, which is sorta the social connection in a lot of rural communities
Here in Northern New England, church hasn't been a big part of social connectivity in generations.

We met our neighbors where we always had -- at the dump (I mean "transfer station"), the general store, town meeting, and these days, on Facebook. My tiny little town has at least three public facebook groups, and probably more private ones I haven't been invited into.

Old 04-26-2021, 10:49 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
We are in the process of moving into the new house now. The first thing I plan on doing is changing out the deadbolts. One time when were in there while it was being built there was 3 keys in a drawer. We were only given two keys. There are extra keys somewhere. I changed out the code for the garage door the first day. I got two solar powered motion detectors lights and a driveway alarm. I have not installed them yet, but I plan on doing them when the moving containers are gone. I will have to dig out my extension ladder to do the motion detectors.
All good precautions, and they do not interfere with anybody else enjoying their own property. Unlike the way some people allow dangerous dogs to roam free (off the owner’s property) or to bark a lot.

Old 04-26-2021, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisMcCarthy View Post
Have you seen the video of the two little dogs chasing the bear out of the house. This is what we have.

Old 04-26-2021, 11:09 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times
Quote:
have you seen the video of the two little dogs chasing the bear out of the house. This is what we have.
:d:d

Old 05-08-2021, 05:27 PM

Our life in the country has been mostly enjoyable. My driveway sensor let's me know if someone comes down the road. We have seen numerous birds, 6 deer (two nights) and my driveway sensor picked up a coyote walking down the street. One night we could hear a pack of them howling. Our Yorkie did not like that.

The unenjoyable part was when I looked outside today there was a 4+' black snake climbing a tree right outside the window. I gabbed my snake killer shovel and went to get it. I stopped it from climbing the tree, but he got away. I believe it was a black rat snake, but to me a good snake is a dead snake.

Right now our security concerns is with wildlife and not humans. We are surrounded by woods for now, but a surveying crew came in today to survey a new property down the street.

Old 05-08-2021, 06:04 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,676,571 times
Talking Helps that I have moved to a state with close to zero venomous reptiles

Quote:
The unenjoyable part was when I looked outside today there was a 4+' black snake climbing a tree right outside the window. I gabbed my snake killer shovel and went to get it. I stopped it from climbing the tree, but he got away. I believe it was a black rat snake, but to me a good snake is a dead snake.
I might feel differently if I raised poultry, but any non-venomous snake which primarily eats rodents (as do rat snakes) is A-OK in my book.

We don't have rat snakes here, but we do have the black racer, which also climb trees and are actually more likely to bite people and animals than a rat snake.

Old 05-08-2021, 06:50 PM

I was raised up where most of the snakes I saw were either water moccasins or copperheads. So the instinct is to kill first and look later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living