Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2021, 08:11 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,040,053 times

Advertisements

The comments about putting up lights in rural areas is pretty funny!!

You put up lights so people know that there is a house there?? And you are afraid of people stealing stuff from you at night??

Most thefts are DAYTIME....but having lived in rural areas for many, many years. I make sure ALL LIGHTS are off at night.

Guess what the house and access road disappear in the darkness...and yes, somebody driving up the road is easily heard and seen since they keep their LIGHTS ON!!!

IF your scared of the dark and scared of living in a rural area...maybe you should just move back to the city??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2021, 08:39 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

You put up lights so people know that there is a house there?? And you are afraid of people stealing stuff from you at night??

Most thefts are DAYTIME....but having lived in rural areas for many, many years. I make sure ALL LIGHTS are off at night.

Guess what the house and access road disappear in the darkness...and yes, somebody driving up the road is easily heard and seen since they keep their LIGHTS ON!!!

IF your scared of the dark and scared of living in a rural area...maybe you should just move back to the city??
I live in a semi-rural township, and the only reason I have my exterior lights on (timer) is to be have a bit of extra light whenever I come back in the evening down my steep driveway. The lights always go off for later at night.

Old 11-18-2021, 10:05 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

All of my life I have always hated the lights people put up high to pollute the night sky, and screw with my vision.

When I was a kid, out at night 'flood-irrigating' our fields, I needed to see where I was and where the water was up to in each field. So I could estimate when I need to shift the head of water onto the next field [or else burst an irrigation pipe somewhere]. My parents had a High-Pressure-Sodium light up on a power pole to shed light on half the farm. Anytime I looked toward our house, my night vision was destroyed. I learned to wear a ball cap when working at night, in the hope of using its bill to protect my eyes.

In my career it is very common for crewmen to become photo-sensitive and near-sighted, we normally live underwater in conditions with neither sunlight nor compartment walls of more than 6 feet away. It wasn't until about my 15th year on subs when I noticed that I had gravitated to wearing mirrored sunglasses or brazing goggles when I was up on the surface. But even standing in dress uniform in formation, none of my crewmates could bear to be in full sunlight without eye protection. We all wore the darkest mirrored sunglasses we could find.

Now years later I still hate bright lights at night.

Every winter as soon as the river along the backside of my land, when it freezes over we begin to get a lot of traffic from roving packs of coyotes. They harass my pig herd. They will circle my house every night, howling. Many times I have gone out with a gun, sometimes a spot light. Any bright light I shine evades them. But they are close by, lurking in the tall weeds and gullies. I have heard them panting, their puppies yelping in play. Bright light might push them back some 15 or 20 feet maybe and they would be invisible again due to the density of weeds and underbrush in the forest here.

Light does not benefit rural living in any context.

[this summer I picked up a new .50 caliber rifle and a Thermal-Imaging scope, I think I will soon change the equation with my coyotes]

Old 11-19-2021, 04:45 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,209,968 times
The main reason I put up lights are where I can see at night in case there are any critters out and to see where I am walking. I am surrounded by woods and their are a lot of critters out there. Most of these come on when motion is detected. Now that leaves have fallen I found out how close I am to Missouri. I can see a light over there now.

Old 11-21-2021, 03:30 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,947,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
All of my life I have always hated the lights people put up high to pollute the night sky, and screw with my vision.

[this summer I picked up a new .50 caliber rifle and a Thermal-Imaging scope, I think I will soon change the equation with my coyotes]
Those must be some big yotes to need a .50. Our yotes out here are skinny, emancipated desert dogs. Seems like bad breath would knock 'em over. Poor things, almost makes you want to cuddle 'em.

Old 11-21-2021, 07:06 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,767,329 times
I put a gate up by the road and then fenced about an acre just around the house itself. (There is also a perimeter barb wire fence around the entire property) I've got a couple of dogs in the fenced yard. Of course there are firearms in the house.

I've never had a problem in the almost 20 years I've lived here. I think it's due to the fact a criminal would have to leave their vehicle on the road and walk up to the house. Good chance you would lose your ride if I came home while you were robbing me.

The dogs tend to deter people as well. I am not a fan of "security lights"; my thought is they just help criminals see if there is anything to steal.

Old 11-21-2021, 01:00 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,668,367 times
Post Coyotes of unusual size are still taken by law-abiding Mass residents with .22lr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Those must be some big yotes to need a .50. Our yotes out here are skinny, emancipated desert dogs.
Eastern coyotes are significantly larger than western, due to their cross-breeding with wolves (thus the term "coy-wolf", at about a quarter of their DNA) on their way to repopulating New England. Due to the even-more-wolf-like pack hunting tactics of the hybrids, it is not recommended to go after coyotes with a blackpowder .50 or other non-repeater.

Even so, law-abiding Massachusetts residents still take coyotes with .22 rimfire with little difficulty.

I'm further north, we use centerfire on our +50 pound 'yotes. Daytime hunting is year round, night season is open January 1 - March 31

Old 11-21-2021, 05:27 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,007,568 times
Security is night vision scope with clear view of target area.

Old 11-26-2021, 08:52 PM

994 posts, read 966,924 times
fenced in property with thick wood and barbed wire on top.

Old 11-26-2021, 10:00 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,007,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
fenced in property with thick wood and barbed wire on top.
That works too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living