Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2021, 04:52 PM

50 posts, read 37,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Use WiFi cameras, non-WiFi ones, get ADT or similar surveillance IF your location and LE presence make it worthwhile which often doesn’t apply in rural areas, fencing, signs warning of hidden surveillance (e.g., “The cameras you see aren’t the only ones around”), and BE THERE A LOT—no vacation home absences.

Want more ways to discourage riffraff? We met someone whose wife frequently patrols their land while wearing a bandolier kind of ammo belt, carrying a very intimidating gun. And she is competent in their use.

Get a reputation as prone to violence against intruders, or just plain loco. That’s another way.

I can think of a few mind-effing ways to make sketchies wonder what would happen to them if caught, but I’m not posting them here.

It’s not just what you have to stop them, it’s whether you can make them afraid of what you might have and what you might do to them, given that LE could be a long time coming.

Mean dogs could be one tool, but they have minds of their own. If they harm a legitimate passer-by...

There're a lot of rural places where people don't even lock doors. In my extensive travels all over America I found that it makes sense to stick to one of those areas; if there's a crime problem and one needs cameras, signs, etc, it's not even pleasant or peaceful to live there. When I look for a place to buy, if I see one "no trespassing" sign I know I'm done with that hood.

If you see shady riff raff at your door ask them for money... say you're broke and need help.
I always try to make everything look trashy...they should feel like they might break their leg tripping over banjos laying round the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2021, 05:34 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Post Witnesses may not respect the sign, but it makes it easier to "trespass" them in the eyes of the law if not the lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlelake View Post
if there's a crime problem and one needs cameras, signs, etc, it's not even pleasant or peaceful to live there. When I look for a place to buy, if I see one "no trespassing" sign I know I'm done with that hood.
I had a "no trespassing" sign, took it down when the local Kingdom Hall finally closed.

Old 12-17-2021, 05:58 PM

2,136 posts, read 1,206,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
I had a "no trespassing" sign, took it down when the local Kingdom Hall finally closed.
Answering the door in nothing but underpants and sitting on the front porch makes them uneasy. If that doesn't clinch it I go to the van and pick the best looking young woman and request she be left here and the rest come back in about an hour. I have never seen the same van twice. No clue why

Old 12-17-2021, 06:08 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
There're a lot of rural places where people don't even lock doors. In my extensive travels all over America I found that it makes sense to stick to one of those areas; if there's a crime problem and one needs cameras, signs, etc, it's not even pleasant or peaceful to live there. When I look for a place to buy, if I see one "no trespassing" sign I know I'm done with that hood.

If you see shady riff raff at your door ask them for money... say you're broke and need help.
I always try to make everything look trashy...they should feel like they might break their leg tripping over banjos laying round the house.
There were a lot of doors left unlocked in our two previous home regions and undoubtedly in this one, too. None of them was high crime. The crime blotters show that criminals do target unlocked buildings and vehicles, and they don’t always “just” commit property crime.

People are free to lock or not, and we choose to throw as many slowdowns and obstacles in the way as reasonable for our place. So far, I have not felt the need to employ all the things I listed and probably never will. But no way will I leave either home or auto unlocked. Why make life easy for the scum of the earth?

Old 12-17-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
But no way will I leave either home or auto unlocked. Why make life easy for the scum of the earth?
I wouldn't emulate SF/Oakland, anyway.
https://abc7news.com/san-francisco-c...-open/11341223

Old 12-17-2021, 08:01 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,011,098 times
Opportunity invites crime.

Old 12-18-2021, 10:34 AM

Default Deter burglars by making your neighbors appear a better target than yourself

Quote:
That's an extreme way of implementing the adage to "Make yourself a less attractive target than your neighbors".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Gibby View Post
This does have poor failure modes.

Take the ruse too far, and they'll break in on the assumption that anyplace that trashy must be cooking meth (or otherwise into "pharming").

Old 03-06-2022, 08:04 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,060,521 times
We’re been in the house since mid-December. So far, so good. Getting internet service was interesting. Long story but anything connected to Verizon won’t wouldn’t with MrsK7’s business computer…but Verizon is fast. I was getting 60 mbps earlier today. I kept it for “household” use. We also have AT&T via Trifecta Wireless. Good service, 25 mbps down today. It’s used exclusively for her work needs.

For security: we have an internet-based security system that, should WiFi go down, switches to cellular. Everything related to the internet is backed up by UPS devices. We get “blips” on a regular basis so it’s nice when MrsK7’s computer, monitors and connections continue to operate normally.

I also installed several panic buttons that are tied to the security system. They’re logically arranged so they we can access them as we retreat to the tornado room. There’s one in the garage also. If someone comes down the driveway and there’s an issue, I can hit it.

Guns…yes. We have plenty. Driveway alarm? Yes and we love it. The driveway is gravel but it’s almost impossible to hear a vehicle coming down the driveway. It has gone off several times at night and that initially bothered my wife. I told her that it was probably deer. I moved my game camera to that location and yep, deep.

The generator has been nice. A tree took out our electricity a few weeks ago and it kicked right in. We also removed enough trees to open up the views quite a bit and, remove the risk of one hitting the house. We’ll make a little from the sale of the trees. I also confirmed that we have a few walnut trees. They’re a little too small to harvest so we’ll enjoy their nuts for the next few falls.

Clearing the trees and brush also us to see our neighbors on one side and, future neighbors on the other side. We’ll see what happens when spring comes and everything greens up again.

MrsK7 hasn’t really shown any fear about taking the dog out even in the middle of the night. That is, until he barked at something on Friday night. They both ran in so fast that the doorbell camera failed to trigger. We laughed ourselves silly at that one.

We “feel” very safe here. I love it and MrsK7 is slowly adapting to life in the country!

Old 03-07-2022, 05:12 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,044 times
I find rural less risky that cities. My wife I were burglarized 5 times when we lived in Los Angeles. We had moved three times after the first two burglaries, and still got hit each time. Circumstances occurred, we divorced and a couple of years later I found a new BFF, and we moved out of CA to rural Colorado with no issues.

A decade later we moved to a rural area in Maine south of Bangor. One day when I was on the road for contract work, my wife noticed a car back up to the front door of our house. She watched a guy get out and walk around the house, while a girl stood next to the car. When she opened the door, the girl was shaken, and said something about needing 'directions'. The conversation was uncomfortable, and my wife went inside and called the police. The car left, and was stopped by a trooper about 20 minutes later. It was filled with stolen merchandise and some meth pipes. Turns out they were wanted for a string of burglaries starting in north Boston, and ended up in jail on multiple charges. That was the only time in 12 years we had an issue there.

We feel very safe up here in Michigan, the only 'security' issue we have had was some bear tracks outside our back door in September of last year. There was no attempted entry; it moved on and we haven't seen it again.

Old 03-07-2022, 08:33 AM

Post Rural has very different risks than urban, not only due to lower population density

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
I find rural less risky that cities. My wife I were burglarized 5 times when we lived in Los Angeles. We had moved three times after the first two burglaries, and still got hit each time. …
We feel very safe up here in Michigan, the only 'security' issue we have had was some bear tracks outside our back door in September of last year. There was no attempted entry; it moved on and we haven't seen it again.
I suspect all would agree the threat model for "rural" differs significantly, I know I never had concerns about bears and big cats when I lived in the city, but now that I live out in the boonies they are my most common intruder.

On the upside, as compared with LAPD and their ilk, our local Fish & Game warden is very "understanding" about doing what needs to be done when an unwanted guest tries a B&E
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living