Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2022, 07:02 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Our area issues “carry concealed pistol” permits to anyone of good standing because they know that help isn’t always there when you need it.
This is how it’s done in a rural environment.
Back before the state law went to constitutional carry, the local chief used to advise residents to asking about a license to save their money and just open carry (no license required)

We also took away the "good standing" discretion statewide after some city departments were caught using that to deny permits to anybody who dared support the opposition's candidate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
If you are located within 5 minutes of a police station, you are not rural. You are urban.
Basically all of my state is incorporated, and nearly all incorporated places have a police, so rural areas have police stations too.

Ours is out on the road to the dump, very much rural including the farms within 4 miles (5 minutes at 50mph)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2022, 10:14 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
... Basically all of my state is incorporated, and nearly all incorporated places have a police, so rural areas have police stations too.
When a town incorporates that increases property taxes a great deal.

My town was incorporated for 99 years, then they realized just how much their taxes would drop if they burned the town charter. So they did and we became un-organized again.

In this state, the entire state was surveyed onto a grid plate with neat squares defining all of the state into townships. 985 in total. Only a minority of this state's townships are incorporated. It makes a huge difference when comparing property taxes.

Adding a town office, selectmen, dog catcher, town clerk, tax assessor, etc, can ad up to a lot of salaries that must be paid from tax revenue.

Fortunately in this state only a minority of the land mass is incorporated.

You would need a certain number of people living close to one another before you would ever have enough tax revenue to justify a police department.

If you were rural, say less than 10 people per-square-mile. how many square-miles of land would be needed to pay salary to one LEO and cover his automobile?

Whereas compare that to an urban area, of the same land mass, but with 10,000 people living in a single square-mile. The math is completely different.

Tha tis why rural is different from urban.

How many miles do you expect to drive from one house before you reach the next house, that is also a good indicator.

If houses are less than a mile apart, can you really say that area is rural?

Old 05-14-2022, 12:17 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
When a town incorporates that increases property taxes a great deal.

My town was incorporated for 99 years, then they realized just how much their taxes would drop if they burned the town charter. So they did and we became un-organized again.

In this state, the entire state was surveyed onto a grid plate with neat squares defining all of the state into townships. 985 in total. Only a minority of this state's townships are incorporated. It makes a huge difference when comparing property taxes.

Adding a town office, selectmen, dog catcher, town clerk, tax assessor, etc, can ad up to a lot of salaries that must be paid from tax revenue.

Fortunately in this state only a minority of the land mass is incorporated.

You would need a certain number of people living close to one another before you would ever have enough tax revenue to justify a police department.

If you were rural, say less than 10 people per-square-mile. how many square-miles of land would be needed to pay salary to one LEO and cover his automobile?

Whereas compare that to an urban area, of the same land mass, but with 10,000 people living in a single square-mile. The math is completely different.

Tha tis why rural is different from urban.

How many miles do you expect to drive from one house before you reach the next house, that is also a good indicator.

If houses are less than a mile apart, can you really say that area is rural?
I’m sure “rural” is different in Maine than in say, North Dakota. I’m guessing they measure the distance between some homes in “many” miles, not just 1.

Even though we have neighbors maybe 250 yards away, there’s no one on the land across the road for miles in either direction. Groceries are 15 min away. Sheriff is 20 minutes out. Nearest gas is 10 min away.

Old 05-14-2022, 02:18 PM

3,269 posts, read 1,748,688 times
I just put up a sign in my driveway;

I don't dial 911.
I dial 1911.

Those who know, get it.
Those who don't know risk having a bad day.

Yes I know our laws very well and I'd rather not use deadly force. BUT...

Old 05-14-2022, 05:15 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,784,000 times
I have a gate at the road. I don't put up silly signs that might be used as evidence against me in a trial. I figure if I need to shoot someone invading my home any sign would have been ignored and irrelevant anyways.

Old 05-14-2022, 06:17 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,077,727 times
Our Carry Concealed Pistol permit is a “Shall Issue” permit.
It costs $52 for 5 years.
No schooling, qualifying or designated pistol involved.
It far out weighs open carry.

I like the ability to have a loaded weapon in my safety kit, in my center console or to carry concealed.
The only time I open carry is at hunting camp.
I don’t like strangers to know that I have a pistol on me or for them to know where it is if they wanted to sucker punch me for it or do something along those lines.

Old 05-14-2022, 09:32 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:

I like the ability to have a loaded weapon in my safety kit, in my center console or to carry concealed.
I don’t like strangers to know that I have a pistol on me or for them to know where it is if they wanted to sucker punch me for it or do something along those lines.
It cost me $50 for a 5-yr CCW permit in WA, a Shall Issue state. However, open carry was illegal. I think that the lack of any training prerequisite is bad.

In CO, open carry is legal (unless local laws prohibit it), but CCW permit requires some minimal certified training. Type of handgun (semi-auto or revolver) is not specified, as NM requires. CO formerly allowed counties to use “discretion” in deciding who got CCW permits. Where I lived, that meant paying $250 just to apply for one, and if the sheriff decided for whatever vague, unspecified “discretionary” opinion not to issue one to you, that $250 was not returned. Good riddance to that bias-riddled excuse for making money. People were applying in “lenient” counties where they didn’t even live.

Not sure if in WA an owner would get in trouble for openly carrying on his/her property but not IN the house. Like, say, you are openly carrying outside your house to intimidate burglars from getting closer.

I wouldn’t open carry anyway, though, because quite likely the bad guys have more firearms. The only advantage against them is the element of surprise, a.k.a. concealed carry.

Old 05-14-2022, 10:14 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:

Our state constitution gives us constitutional Open Carry and Concealed Carry, no need for a permit. Though there are political groups that encourage that we apply through the state police for permits.

the only people I know who actually hold some form of 'permit' is the Class-3 guys [guys with full-auto, heavy artillery, short-barrel shotguns or silencers]. Flame throwers do not require any permit.

I think the State Police have the attitude that it is much easier to process some paperwork and mail you a permit, than it is to send a trooper out to your house to respond to a break in.

Old 05-15-2022, 07:33 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,077,727 times
I think firearm training is good for all.
I just wouldn’t mandate it.
Haven’t we had enough mandates recently?
How ‘bout we mandate common sense ?

My siblings and I received firearm training at home at a very young age from 2 well qualified and responsible parents.
As a veteran and as a person raised in a responsible gun friendly family I don’t feel the obligation.

Submariner’s last sentence basically sums it all up.

Old 05-15-2022, 08:00 AM

14,488 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Open carry is legal in WA with no permit.

Permit is only required to carry concealed.

Check the regulation on carrying in cars Andy.... Our Concealed Pistol License does not allow you to carry a gun loaded in a vehicle console, it must be on your person if you're in the vehicle. This is a sticky point many don't realize, and it causes some technical issues, especially for women who carry in a purse. Course there's lots of issues with women who carry in a purse, because it can be set down.

https://www.washingtongunlaw.com/car...rearms-in-cars
https://www.concealedcarry.com/conce...ed-carry-laws/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living