Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2022, 04:56 PM

1,812 posts, read 902,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
In rural areas it can take law enforcement a while to respond to a call, so I can understand the want of a gun.
Oh my! In urban areas it can also take law enforcement a while to reach a call. If you need to defend yourself seconds count. Urban dwellers need to be able to defend themselves just as much as rural residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2022, 05:21 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
It's coming up on the time of year when our local bears emerge from hibernation, waking up hungry, more than a bit grumpy, and with cubs in tow -- you don't want to cross paths with momma bear unarmed.

Even the best response time isn't going to be sufficiently quick to do much for "A person who is being assaulted or has intruders in their home" and who has already taken rummage's advice to heart.

I for one wouldn't want the cost (in civil liberties and tax rate increases) required to have sufficient policing to have near-instant response to 911 calls in my low-density part of one of the safest parts of North America (Most years we rate a lower homicide rate than Canada).
Heck, it would be IMPOSSIBLE to have quick LE response in large, unpatrolled territories such as my part of CO—and many other rural areas. If you’re lucky, someone might be finishing a trip to somewhere nearby you. Otherwise, expect anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour—or not at all, depending on workload and priorities. Even if they send someone out immediately, sheer distance makes the response time slow. Right in a town or city, response times should be faster. But you can’t compress “15 miles away” into a 5-minute arrival. Even that would be too slow for some crimes.

Old 03-09-2022, 05:27 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
Oh my! In urban areas it can also take law enforcement a while to reach a call. If you need to defend yourself seconds count. Urban dwellers need to be able to defend themselves just as much as rural residents.
You are on your own. Must protect yourself because by the time law enforcement gets to you, it will be too late and you will be part of the report.

Old 03-09-2022, 05:43 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Hm. Went I lived in suburbia, cops would show up in like 15 mins usually, faster for an urgent situation.

Here it is not for hours. FD will show up for a reported shooting though.

Either or. I am merely sharing that I feel safer in an rural area, with a gun.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-09-2022, 05:45 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,676,571 times
Wink …because coroners get hungry too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Hm. Went I lived in suburbia, cops would show up in like 15 mins usually, faster for an urgent situation.
Here it is not for hours. FD will show up for a reported shooting though.
Either or. I am merely sharing that I feel safer in an rural area, with a gun.
Generally "suburban" response time is better than either city or rural, for a multitude of reasons.

I felt unsafe in a city area with a gun, because the urban police had a trigger-happy "blue versus all comers" reputation.

Now I'm out in a rural area, and it's normal to have a cop help pick out your next carry pistol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
You are on your own. Must protect yourself because by the time law enforcement gets to you, it will be too late and you will be part of the report.
Back when I lived in gun-ban city, the saying was that when somebody is kicking down your door, if you can't take care of it yourself, best to call 911 and then Vito's pizza... either way you get a guy with a gun at your door in about 40 minutes, and the cops will have a nosh while they draw your chalk outline.

Old 03-09-2022, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Generally "suburban" response time is better than either city or rural, for a multitude of reasons.

Back when I lived in gun-ban city, the saying was that when somebody is kicking down your door, if you can't take care of it yourself, best to call 911 and then Vito's pizza... either way you get a guy with a gun at your door in about 40 minutes, and the cops will have a nosh while they draw your chalk outline.
We have used 911 services here. Totally USELESS. At least we can count on our fire department to show up in a manner of minutes.

Guns are tools but are also a hobby and lots of people collect them for various reasons. Like a piece of fine jewlery.

Old 03-10-2022, 07:26 PM

1,564 posts, read 2,797,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
People move to rural areas and small towns to feel safe. Those places are safe and the crime statistics support that. If you need guns to feel safe, then you are a candidate for outpatient therapy. Most of those people end up firing those guns at family or themselves, which is the real danger. If you feel safe in a city, then stay in a city. Moving out to a rural or small town and taking up gun ownership is unwise.
Do you have any evidence to support the declarations regarding guns you have made after the first two sentences? Or are you just another wannabe gun control advocate?

Old 03-17-2022, 04:52 PM

9,463 posts, read 5,233,195 times
Quote:
That's right. When seconds count, the police are minutes away.
Purchase and learn how to use a firearm. That's your only guarantee.
I'd also get a large, protective dog.

We have a cattle dog. No one gets anywhere near this house w/out him alerting. On top of that, we are armed to the teeth.

Old 03-17-2022, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
That's right. When seconds count, the police are minutes away.
Purchase and learn how to use a firearm. That's your only guarantee.
I'd also get a large, protective dog.

We have a cattle dog. No one gets anywhere near this house w/out him alerting. On top of that, we are armed to the teeth.
Rottweiler has natural guarding instincts.

Old 04-28-2022, 11:14 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,488,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
A large standard poodle is one of the most underrated dogs that there is.

I currently am wondering about my next dog situation because it is coming soon.

We keep 2 dogs at a time.
We also keep one cat for rodent patrol.
They all like each other.
It is just how that works.

We currently have 2 “chawieners” .
Cross from a dachshund and a chihuahua and one of them will be crossing the rainbow bridge soon.

My son who currently lives with us has a pit bull and while that dog is a charm we just ain’t pit bull people.

I have been “owned” by a heeler before so I kinda like them.

Those labradoodles seem very nice as well.

As one earlier mentioned (just to paraphrase) you don’t need much... just an alarm type dog.
I don’t want anyone to get bit or mauled here at all.

I have been owned by a Newfy as well and love them dearly.
It’s just that Newfie’s and Labradors are water dogs.
Being on the water...the last thing I want is a wet and muddy dog on our carpet

As older adults with no kids we keep several firearms here locked up in easy finger access combo lock containers.

Security systems, dogs, firearms and having a “carry concealed pistol” license is our safety net up here.

On another note,
I see lots of posts here in the rural living section of this website that complain about suburban issues like “they are parking close to me”.

I just shake my head at that.
We have always had large dogs. Over the years there have been German Shepherd, crosses, an Airedale Terrier cross, two Airedales, a lab/Rotty cross and now the Poodle and Poodle cross. While they have all been wonderful pets and I miss them all, the Poodles are the best. Smart, loving, protective and great hiking dogs. We found both of ours locally on Craigslist nine and ten years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living