Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 06:45 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
W

All dogs should be well trained. The worst behavior I ever see is from the “Ankle Biter” crew. They have zero manners and their owners almost always think it’s cute to see them growl in the same manner as a 90 pound dog. The difference is the police don’t get called when Poopsie bares it’s teeth with the same intent as Hercules
Yep, I knew my dog was going to be large, so I wanted him well trained. Can't have him jumping on people, or being a menace. There is just too much of him.

Small untrained dogs are the worst. Well, the owners are the worst, it's not the dogs fault.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2022, 09:17 PM

9,445 posts, read 5,208,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
My puppy pick up date is 5/21 for my new heeler pup.
Hopefully our older dog can show him the ropes.
OMG....he is cute as a button!!!! congrats!!!!

Old 05-03-2022, 09:25 PM

9,445 posts, read 5,208,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Our last Australian Cattle Dog lived for 14 years.
He might have lasted a bit longer but got attracted by some deer on our property the year before.
I’m not really a fan of deer anymore.

In his prime he was a great protector.
We ran a service business and the employees could come and get their trucks in the morning and drop them off in the afternoon.
If they came mid day they were not welcomed very nice.
Damn dog knew what time to bite people .

One think cool about the breed is that they are so very under the radar and people don’t think they are tough until they push it.
Tenacious as all hell this breed is .
And they have a mind of their own. They seem to sense a situation and will do a nice job of 'ignoring you' because they know what to do.
We'd never had a heeler before, and even 5 yrs in he is a challenge, but he is finally starting to comply with commands. That said, he likes to be in control, so when we can, we let him do his thing and have learned to (mostly) trust HIS instincts. That is his job and what he was bred for and where his instincts lie.

At the same time, he is very affectionate (to me - he likes to growl at my husband LOL).

Old 05-04-2022, 11:26 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,060,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Answering for that poster... if they flew yesterday, they're probably just gone, lots of species don't hang around once they've fledged... They're on their own.
Correct. Flying, hang around close to the nest for a few hours and then, gone!

Old 05-06-2022, 11:36 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,009,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
Rottweilers are only aggressive if the non-thinking/non-ethical human makes them that way

I have had four in my lifetime. I lost the first three (all males) to forms of cancer and said never again because they own the dog portion of my soul. Then a state trooper friend called me in 2018. Beseeching me to please talk to the man who loved his 18 month old female Rottweiler to the inth degree, did everything correctly with her (including obedience school), but needed to rehome her. Freyja has been here since one day after that phone call that I said “no”, lollol

Rottweilers are the engineers of the dog world. They are very precise & regimented and expect their humans to be the same. They are a “walk silent and carry a big stick” kind of dog. They won’t go looking for trouble but look out if it comes to them.

I have always had guard dogs of some sort, going back to when I was a kid growing up on my parents dairy farm. That means training was and still is an integral part of any dog I have ever owned.

I also have an 8 year old Catahoula/Pit Bull that I got out of jail (animal shelter) as a yearling.

Both my dogs know how to greet strangers that come to our farm. “It’s ok” means just that and they politely greet the people. If there’s a flaw in that, it’s that they know my brother and his family (including their dogs) when they drive down for a visit and willingly let everyone in without asking me if it’s ok

Rottweilers are stubborn - if you can’t fairly discipline your children, don’t waste your time getting one because they will walk all over you — stick with the Labs. That is probably one of the reasons people have wrongly labeled them aggressive. Rottweilers are a very respectful breed as long as the human gives them a reason to earn that respect

The critter chiropractor is working on the Rottweiler in the first pic. The neighbor’s rescue is in the Food Lineup, with my two at supper time - he visits when they aren’t home and a storm is on the horizon

I have many more photos of my “aggressive” dogs that show what a terrible misnomer has been placed on them. If they get that way, it’s because of humans not because they were born with malice.
Yes it is a very painful experience as my Rott of 16 years died from Cancer, had hip and joint problems and just plain old age like us humans. I saw her go senile just like people do. One of the 10 year old females died from stomach flip-all so sudden. Another male became paralyzed at 10 years and couldn't walk anymore-quality of life decision made here. 13 year old female died of tumors. 8 year old male died of depression when two other rotts died before him. Just too much: Just lost 13 year old male cat who was very playful till the last week of his life. Too much sorrow.

Old 05-07-2022, 02:58 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,211,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveIt View Post
You nailed it and I fit that bill. We had a maltese that was my baby and hated my wife because she would want to clean it. It would snarl, snap and everything in between and I thought it was funny but it isn't if the dog is larger. The funny thing was, we had a dog we had trouble with because of his aggression and she could walk up to his food bowl or water dish or anything and he would move aside. He knew who was in charge. Anyway I have learned, at least I hope so.
I had a similar setup with a 100+ lb male German Shephard and a 12 lb female Pekinese. She ruled the house.

Old 05-12-2022, 05:50 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times
We have dogs and firearms, can't stand permanent lights.

I think I need a sign for the road:

20 Acres
A rifle
and a tractor
Really don't need no Sheriff

Old 05-13-2022, 11:51 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,073,668 times
I would really hate to use lethal force on anyone.

Sometimes 5 minutes might as well be 5 hours.

If my family or my life is in danger it’s lights out for the one causing this.
No wing shots.

Old 05-13-2022, 01:50 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveIt View Post
I like the police - they get to my area in 5 minutes and I am out there. That I am country and I will shoot you crap is dumb and if you think it isn't wait till it happens. You will go to prison.
I have lived in this location for 17 years. During this time, twice I have seen cars in the ditch, flipped over on my land. Both times I called the Sheriff's office, and I was told that if there are no bodies on scene they would send a deputy around to file a report the next business day.

Law Enforcement in my area make no effort to respond on the same day, unless there is a body.

If you are located within 5 minutes of a police station, you are not rural. You are urban.

Old 05-13-2022, 06:27 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,073,668 times
I have only seen one police officer on my road in the 4 years I have owned this place.
Turns out there was a body.
A person was killed in a car accident.

We don’t get cops out here and I’m sure I’m not the only person that knows this.
I’m sure you meant well with your “You should wait for the cop” speech.
Relying solely on this advice could and probably will cost you dearly.

Our area issues “carry concealed pistol” permits to anyone of good standing because they know that help isn’t always there when you need it.

This is how it’s done in a rural environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living