Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2022, 12:56 PM

4,568 posts, read 5,675,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
People move to rural areas and small towns to feel safe. Those places are safe and the crime statistics support that. If you need guns to feel safe, then you are a candidate for outpatient therapy. Most of those people end up firing those guns at family or themselves, which is the real danger. If you feel safe in a city, then stay in a city. Moving out to a rural or small town and taking up gun ownership is unwise.
The real danger is either over- or under- estimating risk, and making poor choices based on the statements made by random strangers on the Internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2022, 01:02 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
In rural areas it can take law enforcement a while to respond to a call, so I can understand the want of a gun.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-09-2022, 01:12 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Most years there are bears that over-winter on my land. I see them when they awaken in the Spring. I know the general area where they den. For their first stroll they usually want to walk to the river, doing so in a direct straight line leads them to my pig paddock. Bears will cross my fences, until they get first sight of a pig, then they turn away quickly.

So long as the rivers stay frozen, we get a lot of coyotes that cross the river. They will circle my house and my pigs, howling most nights. Spotlights at night are useless in dense forest, they just light up the trees and do not allow me to sight-in on the coyotes.

There have been times when coyotes came in so close I could hear their breathing. We always hear the yelping of their playful puppies.

In winter, I dont mind letting our dogs out at night to run. But I make a habit of stepping outside first to listen, as I do not want my dogs out running when coyotes are on my land.

Last summer, I bought a Thermal-imaging rifle scope. So now without any light sources, I can easily get a bead on any coyotes. I also got a new .50 rifle for the task.

Old 03-09-2022, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
In rural areas it can take law enforcement a while to respond to a call, so I can understand the want of a gun.
I have lived in Maine for 16 years, in this time I have called 911 twice. Both times I was redirected to the Sheriff's office, and I was told they would send a deputy out to my township the next business day.

Usually a deputy will drive through our township once a week, just so there is some level of police presence here. Who honestly wants Law Enforcement in their town any more frequently than that?

Old 03-09-2022, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have lived in Maine for 16 years, in this time I have called 911 twice. Both times I was redirected to the Sheriff's office, and I was told they would send a deputy out to my township the next business day.

Usually a deputy will drive through our township once a week, just so there is some level of police presence here. Who honestly wants Law Enforcement in their town any more frequently than that?
A person who is being assaulted or has intruders in their home?

Old 03-09-2022, 01:33 PM

Exclamation It's coming up on the time of year when our local bears wake hangry

It's coming up on the time of year when our local bears emerge from hibernation, waking up hungry, more than a bit grumpy, and with cubs in tow -- you don't want to cross paths with momma bear unarmed.

Quote:
Quote:

Even the best response time isn't going to be sufficiently quick to do much for "A person who is being assaulted or has intruders in their home" and who has already taken rummage's advice to heart.

I for one wouldn't want the cost (in civil liberties and tax rate increases) required to have sufficient policing to have near-instant response to 911 calls in my low-density part of one of the safest parts of North America (Most years we rate a lower homicide rate than Canada).

Last edited by Nonesuch; 03-09-2022 at 02:34 PM..

Old 03-09-2022, 02:11 PM

Quote:
When I was younger I lived in urban cities. Soon after I retired, we moved out rural. So that has never been a thought for me.

Our front doorway has two steel doors. There have been times when we have had a herd of goats at our front door, pushing and pawing wanting to come inside. Because of that experience, I have two electric cattle prods, one hanging from the door hinges on either side of the doors. Open the door and as soon as a goat's head comes inside it gets the working end of a cattle prod, ZAPPP. works every time.

There was also a time, one time, when a sow got loose and she wanted to peek inside our house. She was only around 400-pound. but again one of those cattle prods fixed that issue. Just rest it on her forehead and 100,000 volts will change her mind in a hurry.

Old 03-09-2022, 02:18 PM

I think it is all about taxes.

I am happy having low property taxes.

Our nearest fire department has the motto "We have never lost a concrete foundation". They respond to a lot of house fires, as far as I am aware they have never saved a house. But if that house was on a concrete foundation, you know when the firemen are all done, the foundation will still be there the next day.

If you want faster response times, stay in a city somewhere with much higher taxes.

Old 03-09-2022, 02:46 PM

Unhappy And that was in the "GOOD" part of town!

Quote:
I think it is all about taxes.
I am happy having low property taxes.
…
If you want faster response times, stay in a city somewhere with much higher taxes.
I moved from a city in part because of taxes, but also for civil liberties.

The "cost" of city living included extreme gun control (a total ban on legal handguns) and high taxes, but police response time was bad when I left, and has only gotten worse since. Supporting the "wrong" political party at best meant you didn't get new garbage cans when all your neighbors did, at worst maybe your garage mysteriously burnt to the foundation (happened to my neighbor across the alley).

Before I escaped, I once called 911 to report "shots fired" -- it was a full half hour later when a police cruiser drove through without a pause. I called the non-emergency line and they basically "Well, our officers didn't observe any bodies, no reason to linger"

Now I'm rural; small arms fire is still an expected part of Saturday mornings, but no cause for alarm or stress (mostly because it happens around 10AM instead of 1AM and involves a proper backstop).

Old 03-09-2022, 02:46 PM

Quote:
I

Our nearest fire department has the motto "We have never lost a concrete foundation". They respond to a lot of house fires, as far as I am aware they have never saved a house. But if that house was on a concrete foundation, you know when the firemen are all done, the foundation will still be there the next day.

It's a safe bet you have never been in sales.

We've had some pretty big fires come through the general area, and it is amazing to see the whole hillside burnt to a crisp, and the one house, saved. Heck, I've seen a tree right by the house, half burnt half saved (side towards the house). And it's not a one off thing, it is pretty common.

I don't know what those fire people do, but it is amazing. My hats off to our guys and gals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living