Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2021, 02:27 PM

256 posts, read 262,733 times

Advertisements

Our remote land is two miles back a fairly bad road and we are at the end. There is absolutely no reason for anyone other than another land owner to be back there. The nights are black as two foot down a stove pipe with billions of beautiful stars in the sky. I'm one of those land owners that have no patience for bad people and one that should never be taken for granted. I'm suspicious of everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2021, 05:44 PM

2,718 posts, read 2,219,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Animals the size of yorkies get snatched up by birds here, a friend lost a good size cat to a bird.
This is why we never let our Yorkie out by herself. I think there was a fox one night by her fenced in area that my game camera picked up. I have been told by several vets to watch out for hawks. Even if they cannot pick her up the damage the talons would do could kill her.

Old 12-03-2021, 02:27 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Not only are criminals mobile, there are fewer people around in rural areas to see what they do.

Surveillance and recording devices help fill in the observation gap. And they do not need to be fed, poop cleaned up, taken to vets, or trained NOT to bark indiscriminately. Which, as many blotters in all areas show, can cause serious conflicts. We can hear a dog barking from over a mile away, without listening for it. Sound carries far, depending on terrain and vegetation.

And that "doggie net" tells us where the coyotes (and anyone else who is where they shouldn't be) are, since we've learned how to listen to it. Doesn't bother us or our neighbors one bit.

Old 12-03-2021, 04:52 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And that "doggie net" tells us where the coyotes (and anyone else who is where they shouldn't be) are, since we've learned how to listen to it. Doesn't bother us or our neighbors one bit.

Doesn’t help if any of the dogs is an indiscriminate barker. Then it is only the dog who cried wolf.

Old 12-03-2021, 05:34 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:
Doesn’t help if any of the dogs is an indiscriminate barker. Then it is only the dog who cried wolf.

We must have lucked out over the past 25 years with not only our own dogs but those of all our neighbors. There are times when they do the more social aspects of the doggie net (easy to tell if you pay attention to the intonations/barks for a while), but you can also follow the coyotes as they carefully avoid the properties that have Pyrenees in their meanderings, for example. Or, for that matter the Amazon delivery driver on his rounds.

Much rather have dogs and no light pollution (which says to one and all "Here I am and I have something someone might want to steal!").

Old 12-04-2021, 10:57 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
We must have lucked out over the past 25 years with not only our own dogs but those of all our neighbors. There are times when they do the more social aspects of the doggie net (easy to tell if you pay attention to the intonations/barks for a while), but you can also follow the coyotes as they carefully avoid the properties that have Pyrenees in their meanderings, for example. Or, for that matter the Amazon delivery driver on his rounds.

Much rather have dogs and no light pollution (which says to one and all "Here I am and I have something someone might want to steal!").
MDL only come on when someone has come within range. There is no need to keep a light on 24/7 for most residences.

Again, note my use of the specification for INDISCRIMINATE barkers. There are dogs within hearing range that sometimes bark for a reason other than boredom, and they are not a problem.

Lights on all the time = analogous to dogs barking all the time.

Old 12-04-2021, 12:46 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,482,549 times
Geese have been used for home security for centuries:

https://www.atpalarms.com/blog/gener...-home-security

Old 12-05-2021, 05:36 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Me, my indigenous defence forces........scorpions, black widows, fire ants, cactus, rattle snakes, feral hogs. Outside the house footprint, I am very live and let live and there can be certain advantages as well.

Now, one thing that would not thrill me is a neighbor who is so scared of the dark that they light up their place and bring light pollution into my country night skies.

Old 12-05-2021, 05:40 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Geese have been used for home security for centuries:

https://www.atpalarms.com/blog/gener...-home-security

Old 12-06-2021, 04:41 AM

20,058 posts, read 20,872,330 times
Quote:
MDL only come on when someone has come within range. There is no need to keep a light on 24/7 for most residences.

Again, note my use of the specification for INDISCRIMINATE barkers. There are dogs within hearing range that sometimes bark for a reason other than boredom, and they are not a problem.

Lights on all the time = analogous to dogs barking all the time.
We call that “cidiot beacons” Haha
By me, when a property is lit up like Wrigley field all night, it’s a dead give away that you’re not from around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living