Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2021, 09:14 AM

356 posts, read 703,870 times

Advertisements

We moved from the city to a small community in the Sierra foothills a year ago. When we first moved to the woods, I was leery about leaving our windows open or our doors unlocked, due to my lingering concerns about potential prowlers. My husband installed the motion-detecting security cameras we had used in the city, pointed at various places around our yard.

After seeing the footage from our outside cameras, I now make double sure to lock the doors and close the windows at night -- to keep out four-legged prowlers: bears, mountain lions, foxes, and other woodland critters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2021, 09:30 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_cavalière View Post
We moved from the city to a small community in the Sierra foothills a year ago. When we first moved to the woods, I was leery about leaving our windows open or our doors unlocked, due to my lingering concerns about potential prowlers. My husband installed the motion-detecting security cameras we had used in the city, pointed at various places around our yard.

After seeing the footage from our outside cameras, I now make double sure to lock the doors and close the windows at night -- to keep out four-legged prowlers: bears, mountain lions, foxes, and other woodland critters
We have windows open in summer to keep out bugs. The other critters usually stay far enough away from the MDL sensors that false alarms are only occasional...and then I enjoy seeing the fox or whatever cruising by.

There is enough unpeopled land around that animals have plenty of wildland to live.

Old 12-06-2021, 11:59 PM

198 posts, read 109,206 times
plug in a radio outside and let it play. It doesn't need to be loud but it is enough to make someone question what's happening at that house.

Old 12-07-2021, 04:22 AM

2,715 posts, read 2,217,945 times
Guinea hens are good also plus they kill ticks and snakes. But the hawks love them and they like to roam free.

Old 12-07-2021, 09:54 AM

356 posts, read 703,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
We have windows open in summer to keep out bugs. The other critters usually stay far enough away from the MDL sensors that false alarms are only occasional...and then I enjoy seeing the fox or whatever cruising by.

There is enough unpeopled land around that animals have plenty of wildland to live.
Well, in less than a year, we have caught four bears, one mountain lion, and countless deer, foxes and skunks on our cameras -- and the cameras only cover a small portion of our yard. One bear was right outside our master bathroom and bedroom windows (luckily closed at the time), and another walked up our walkway to our front porch, then barged through a fence as he was leaving. The mountain lion strolled through my dog's agility course and then around our hot tub -- which we were soaking in an hour earlier. The foxes are so tame you can often walk within a few yards of them during the day without them even blinking.

Unfortunately, some bears learn it is easier to live off human food than to forage or hunt. They may start by rummaging through garbage cans (very common around here) and progress to breaking into houses and ransacking fridges and pantries -- a real problem in the Tahoe area. Once they become habituated to humans and learn how get into garages, homes, and cars, they can become increasingly bolder and more dangerous. (Just search "bear breaks in" on Youtube...) They can barge through doors, squeeze through windows, and open car doors. This lady was lucky to survive a bear attack in her Tahoe vacation home:

https://www.ktvu.com/news/bay-area-w...visiting-tahoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uy8i1nM3aE

My friend just had a fox come in her house through her small cat door. I haven't heard of mountain lions breaking into houses here, luckily, but they do kill many goats, chickens, and other pets. Coyotes too, of course.

I love living among all the wildlife -- you just need to learn to take some common-sense precautions.

Old 12-07-2021, 10:57 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_cavalière View Post
Well, in less than a year, we have caught four bears, one mountain lion, and countless deer, foxes and skunks on our cameras -- and the cameras only cover a small portion of our yard. One bear was right outside our master bathroom and bedroom windows (luckily closed at the time), and another walked up our walkway to our front porch, then barged through a fence as he was leaving. The mountain lion strolled through my dog's agility course and then around our hot tub -- which we were soaking in an hour earlier. The foxes are so tame you can often walk within a few yards of them during the day without them even blinking.

Unfortunately, some bears learn it is easier to live off human food than to forage or hunt. They may start by rummaging through garbage cans (very common around here) and progress to breaking into houses and ransacking fridges and pantries -- a real problem in the Tahoe area. Once they become habituated to humans and learn how get into garages, homes, and cars, they can become increasingly bolder and more dangerous. (Just search "bear breaks in" on Youtube...) They can barge through doors, squeeze through windows, and open car doors. This lady was lucky to survive a bear attack in her Tahoe vacation home:

https://www.ktvu.com/news/bay-area-w...visiting-tahoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uy8i1nM3aE

My friend just had a fox come in her house through her small cat door. I haven't heard of mountain lions breaking into houses here, luckily, but they do kill many goats, chickens, and other pets. Coyotes too, of course.

I love living among all the wildlife -- you just need to learn to take some common-sense precautions.
I stopped putting a game camera where deer were always going by. Don’t care to look at deer videos. They almost never come that close to the house at night, though. Foxes do periodically cruise close by; it goes in bursts and often it is when we are puttering around—not at night. It’s as if they learn the range of the MDL and avoid going into those areas.

The mountain lions steer well clear of the developed area, and the bobcats do not but they, like the foxes, stay out of MDL range. We’ve seen them during the day in all kinds of places, just not frequently.

I like the foxes, bobcats, and mountain lions because they control the populations of deer, mice, and feral pets while not intruding on our safe range. BUT we don’t hike between dusk and dawn.

Bears are around but, again, avoid coming close to our buildings. We have many videos of them and mtn lions on game cams...about a quarter mile away. We see evidence of all these critters in scat, tracks, odors, kills.

The MDL are carefully aimed to only light up immediately around the buildings, and only after dark. They’re intended to deter human scum but they also teach the wild animals to avoid getting too close to the buildings. It works out beautifully.

We do not have the bear-trash problem at all. It WAS a problem for neighbors in our old home area because they put trash bins out the night before collection day. Too many dog food bowls around, too. We put it out just before collection time. Here, we do the same.

Just noticed my previous post should have said “...windows open WITH SCREENS ON to keep bugs out.”

Old 12-07-2021, 09:02 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
uSE Shields and a cloaking device. Warp speed is the last resort if you can't stand your ground.

Old 12-08-2021, 07:09 AM

1,564 posts, read 2,797,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
uSE Shields and a cloaking device. Warp speed is the last resort if you can't stand your ground.
I do not understand.

Old 12-08-2021, 02:03 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
I do not understand.
Like Star Trek

Old 12-08-2021, 02:13 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
I do not understand.
Fantasy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living