Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 06:36 PM

5,592 posts, read 5,044,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I put in an offer on a new home that is about 200 yards off of a semi-main road in a new section. There are no street lights and no neighbors for now. I know my wife will be scared hearing noises at night. There is no phone service for now either. What would be the easiest and cost effective way to get her a sense of security at night?

My first thought was solar powered motion lights, but what other options are out there? We had SimpliSafe at our previous home, but we hardly ever used it due to the neighbors being so close that we trusted. She will want a system as quick as possible also due to the chance of a break in during the day while we are gone and our Yorkie being there by herself. The town itself is known for being very safe.
Home protection: Get one to three Rottweilers, firearms, motion lights, cameras, plant roses under your windows. Early warning detection systems. Alarm system monitoring or one that makes lots of noise? Have to access your property and location.
Think prevention mode just like preventative medicine. Use preventative methods, noise etc. to deter thief/criminals. For personal protection when away from home. If confronted run or fight. Depending on your local laws you don't want to end up in jail over criminal charges and or civil lawsuits.

Last edited by nowhereman427; 03-24-2021 at 07:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
I thought mercury vapor lights were banned in 2008.
Mercury vapor lights are disappearing as more LED lighting is flooding the market.

Old 03-24-2021, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Sorry, but I gotta chuckle at all this.

First, it appears that you aren't moving to the country, but to a lot in a development that is in a rural area. Your concerns are very much in line with something my retired police GF has mentioned many times. City folk move rural and then expect all of the services that their taxes in the city paid for - quick police protection, fire departments with firefighters waiting at the station for any call, city sewer, and so on.

Some people thrive in rural settings, others don't. I've nothing against either type, but just remember that the individual has to fit the environment, not the other way around.

That brings up the second chuckle - I don't think I have ever seen a single yorkie as the pet of a country person. They might exist, but hounds, collies, bugles, heelers, and sheps are the rule - for a reason. Country dogs are generally there for a purpose. A yorkie is no more in danger than a parakeet, and frankly, about as useful. I guess you could set it out to chase voles if it had an inclination.

Moving away from a place because liberals have made it more dangerous. Yeah... Go to any local rural jail or prison and do a survey of how many prisoners espouse liberal values and how many are conservative. I think you will be shocked that the thieves, meth-heads, drunks, and con artists hold conservative values, most have found Jesus, and will tell you that they only have this one little problem. When sober and just released, many appear like outstanding citizens.

If you need security so much that you are afraid for your yorkie, you might find a gated community more to your liking. The country has coyotes and foxes and other critters that would have a small dog for lunch. Just sayin...
A Yorkie?

Old 03-24-2021, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
We live in the San Francisco Bay Area and in rural Washington state.

When at our California home I just feel safer.
I know that may sound odd but it’s a nice safe area.

In Washington we are in the sticks and you can’t see our house from the road.
We can’t even see our neighbors.
I have never even seen a police officer on our road.

Being isolated without the ability to really rely on any police help has made us install security systems.
Being in a wilderness type area it is always prudent to be able to protect yourself from 4 legged and 2 legged freaks.
For this dogs and firearms are good insurance policies.
You cannot rely on law enforcement to show up in time. They show up afterwards to to take the report when it's too late.
Some jurisdictions you go into the station to file the report, phone it in or do an on-line report.

Old 03-24-2021, 06:51 PM

3,287 posts, read 1,769,210 times
Biggest worry for many in a rural area is coyotes going after those 7 pound snackdogs and housecats.

Old 03-24-2021, 07:06 PM

4,572 posts, read 5,687,639 times
Exclamation Ursus americanus has a top speed of +30 MPH, and are quicker on downhill and after hibernation (shed fat, not muscle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Biggest worry for many in a rural area is coyotes going after those 7 pound snackdogs and housecats.
Eastern coyote cross-bred with wolves on their return to New England via Canada, so they are larger and are sometimes known to pack hunt using wolf-like tactics.

Only real worry right now is our local bears are waking up, and man are they hungry.
(Photo Credit: TexasBowHunter)

Old 03-24-2021, 07:12 PM

37,497 posts, read 61,517,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navage8214 View Post
Her new home? Are you renting out the basement?
My wife moved into her new home, our new home, and I gave her a key to her new home. But that key has never been used. Outside of me testing the knobs, the door has never been locked since the day the door was hung.

Old 03-24-2021, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Eastern coyote cross-bred with wolves on their return to New England via Canada, so they are larger and are sometimes known to pack hunt using wolf-like tactics.

Only real worry right now is our local bears are waking up, and man are they hungry.
(Photo Credit: TexasBowHunter)
Depends on your location. "location, location,location".

Old 03-24-2021, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombrueil View Post
When we moved here the doors had no locks. The house is 230 years old. It has had quite a few different owners in that time and some of them had some real stupid ideas about home improvement, but not one of them put locks on the doors, even the ones who only used it as a summer place. Think about that.
When I first came here shopping for land to buy. One realtor I met with, keeps a spare automobile parked at the airport with a key in the visor. He tells all his potential customers to freely use that car whenever they are in the area.

I doubt if there is a single house door that is locked in our township.

As for all of the dozens of former residents of your house, I am certain that none of them saw it as an issue.

Old 03-24-2021, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
You cannot rely on law enforcement to show up in time. They show up afterwards to to take the report when it's too late.
Some jurisdictions you go into the station to file the report, phone it in or do an on-line report.
Since living here, twice I have seen vehicles sitting in the roadside ditch upside down. Both times I called the sheriff's office and I was told that they would send a deputy out to look the next business day.

So long as there are no bodies in the wrecked cars, they do not send Law Enforcement to the scene on the same day. They will schedule it on the next business day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living